Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 FLHXSE2 need running lights  (Read 1281 times)

prstar1

2011 FLHXSE2 need running lights
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:47:24 AM »

New to the forum, and bought my 2011 FHLXSE2 in May of last year, the inferno orange and black diamond. I would like to add passing lamps on and wondered how difficult it is rather than having the dealership do it. Has anyone here installed their own and did you use Harley passing lamps? I'm actually a carpenter but I've got a friend that works on bikes to help so I'm not that intimidated. Thanks.

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
Re: 2011 FLHXSE2 need running lights
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »

I had my dealer install the LED headlight and passing lights and was told it's a plug and play installation.
Four Wheels move the body. Two Wheels move the Soul

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:13:14 AM »

I added the same thing on my FLHXSE2 krypto bike.   The setup the dealer sold me was not exactly plug and play.
The wiring for the auxlilary lights had to be ran through the SE mounts so there were no pin connectors on the ends of the wires.  Those have to be threaded through some rather small guide holes in the mount before you crimp the pin connectors to the wires and feed them into the connector.

It's not a difficult job, but having a tool to put the proper crimp on the pin so it still fits into the connector is key.  Tightening the nut on the bottom of the lamp housing with the wire coming out throught the end of the bolt is a joy too.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »

It's definitely not a plug-n-play install. The CVO harness does not include the aux light wiring as a standard touring bike does so you have to run your own. The existing turn signals are re-used so you need to remove the pins from the factory connector and reroute the wires on the new aux bracket. It's not a hard job but you need to be comfortable reading the factory wiring diagram and running new wiring.
2011 FLHXSE2

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

Tightening the lamp nut is easy. I use a deep well socket with a slot cut into it with a grinder. Makes it simple. I usually buy new ends, cheap, makes it easier to.
Just a thought
dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »

:welcome_005: to the site.  I have the passing lamps on my scooter but the dealer installed them for me.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »

Tightening the lamp nut is easy. I use a deep well socket with a slot cut into it with a grinder. Makes it simple. I usually buy new ends, cheap, makes it easier to.
Just a thought
dd

I thought about making one like that as well, but was able to get them tight enough not to move with a open end wrench.

Ditto on the new ends.  :2vrolijk_21:

prstar1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »

I added the same thing on my FLHXSE2 krypto bike.   The setup the dealer sold me was not exactly plug and play.
The wiring for the auxlilary lights had to be ran through the SE mounts so there were no pin connectors on the ends of the wires.  Those have to be threaded through some rather small guide holes in the mount before you crimp the pin connectors to the wires and feed them into the connector.

It's not a difficult job, but having a tool to put the proper crimp on the pin so it still fits into the connector is key.  Tightening the nut on the bottom of the lamp housing with the wire coming out throught the end of the bolt is a joy too.

prstar1

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »

The Harley part number for the passing lamps was 69818-06. It stated in the description that you would also need new bullet turn signals. So this means my chrome signal lights on my bike would need to be replaced? Just wondering if anyone had their part numbers handy before I go ordering parts. LakeShore Harley seems to have the best prices I've found. Thanks

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:16:50 AM »

You don't need new turn signal lights. You re-use the stock ones. The part is 69818-06. Here's an exerpt from the install sheet "This kit does not include turn signals.You will be removing the original turn signals and re-positioning them onto the new auxiliary mount."
2011 FLHXSE2

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:26:20 AM »

You don't need new turn signal lights. You re-use the stock ones. The part is 69818-06. Here's an exerpt from the install sheet "This kit does not include turn signals.You will be removing the original turn signals and re-positioning them onto the new auxiliary mount."

Yup, that's what I did.

Your going to need a good crimp tool to connect the pins on the wire ends as well.  I believe they were AMP style, but I'm not sure.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.