Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apes Advice  (Read 1677 times)

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
Apes Advice
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »

I got my new seat installed and I am ready to pull the trigger on buying and installing new bars.  What I want are 14” apes probably wild1’s but I am open to other brands.  I live in Washington State and ride year around so I use heated grips on all of my bikes.  Talking with my dealership there are some issues with installing 14’s and the hydraulic clutch tubing as well as they claim they cannot wire the heated grips inside the bars.  I asked them how the Ultra does it and they told me that the Ultra uses a different wiring harness that is built to handle heated grips internally.

My questions:
•   Does anyone know if the Ultra wire harness will fit a street glide?
•   I have no desire to have apes and everyone internally wired and then have the heated grip wires zip tied down the bar, very noticeable on 14” apes, is there an alternative that is reliable for heated grips that would not result in that?
•   Are there better ape bars to choose for internal wiring than Wild1s?

Thanks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Apes Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »

Most here do not ride with apes.  Having said that, I rode with them on just about every bike I owned until I started riding baggers (before baggers were kwel).  I like them and found them very comfortable.....even the 20" apes on my Heritage.  Not sure I'd feel the same way now days.....just a tad bit older and not sure the ticker would pump the blood that high for that long. :nervous:

I'm sure that Jim (hd-dude) could answer the questions for you (he's worked on more CVOs than anybody in the nation.....no doubt about it!) but he's out in the shop wrenching.  Maybe he'll see this post tonight or in the morning (when he's usually on).  If there's a way to get it done (you may have to send your bike to him).....we want to see pics.  I know that others have extended hydraulic clutch lines on the SESG but don't know about the heated grips.

Have you thought about Gerbing heated gloves?  They're cheaper and you get to take them with you on to your next bike.  We had somebody riding with us this past weekend that has heated grips and he says when it's really cold, they're not enough.....that he still has to use the Gerbing gloves. :nixweiss:  I read the same comment from somebody else on this forum today. :nixweiss:  Couple that with all the problems reported with heated grips (some guys have had to change them out two or three times)......I'd sure think twice about spending money on something like that.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

Gerbing is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IMHO

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »

I have a 2010 FLHX as well outfitted with heated grips and I find they are enough for me to ride with gloves down to 20 degree's and without gloves down to 50.  I am not a fan of heated gloves, I dislike the wires and the hassle.

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »

Extending the hydraulic clutch line is not hard at all. It is the same line as you will need for the brake. Someone told you wrong. I have done it a few times. The brake line will have to be replaced also for sure.
 As far as the heated grips go, it is possible. The problem people have is running the wires through the bars. Yaffe bars are the worst because of the sharp bends. Wild 1's are not that hard to pull the wires through. You should be good. I would recommend changing your stock riser bushings. Most people use the Harley Poly bushings. They really tighten things up.
 Like JCZ said, get in contact with Jim, hd-dude, he will hook you up with everything you need. All you have to do is tell him exactly what bar you are putting on and what bike you have. He is the best to deal with because he knows the bikes well. I used him for parts and it was sure easy when everything you need comes in one box.
 Good luck and give me a shout if you have problems.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »

Monolyth,

Greetings from up 405 in Bothell. I recently put Wild 1 12.5s on my '10 SG. It takes a little time but very doable. I didn't go with heated grips although that was my original intent. I have installed internal heaters on every bike that has even been in my garage. Couldn't get it to fit with the TBW though so went without. Gerbings are fine this time of year but I will miss my grip heaters come warmer weather.

Thoughts on the Wild 1s are this. I have used them before including 14" on my Road King Classic. Loved them and they were by far the most comfortable bar I have ever had. I did an Iron Butt with the 14s and never had a problem. On the SG though, I am not a thrilled. First off, going with 14s would have been better but live and learn. My complaints are they don't seem as comfortable to me as I had hoped. The fit is also a bit of an issue. Rotated up as far as they would go, they bind slightly on the fairing cap even after modifying the rubber washers on the cap. Then there is the clutch side where unless you cut 1/8 or more off the end of the bar, the clutch housing and clamp will not fit up to the 1 1/4" to 1" stepdown. Not a huge thing but a pain.

If I had it to do over again, I would seriously look at the Santee bars in 14". I know some of the ESHD guys have built some bikes with them and they look and fit nice. Plus they are lots cheaper. Not wanting to say a bad word about Wild 1 as they have always treated me right but the bagger apes are not living up to my expectations.

D.

thouliares

• T-Bone
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

I have new Burly Bagger Bars 13" ....1.25" dia.. Fly by Wire... I had them installed, sat on the bike, and took them off. I did not like my hands that high. I'm 5'10". They have 1 " ends where the grips are, so they will take std grips and or Heated Grips. I paid $275 plus shipping, I"ll sell for $200 shipped. Regardless, you will have to have extended brake lines.
thx

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

I had 14" Cyclesmith bars on my 07 Road King Custom. Nice bars, I had no complaints. I also went with heat demons so I could use whatever grips I wanted. They worked flawlassly. The problem I had, living just up the road from you, was trying to get the heated grips to radiate through my heavy gloves on those cold days. I found that if I wore a lighter glove at highway speeds the back of my hands would get cold, especially with the grips unprotected from the wind.

So recently I chose to go with 12" Yaffe monkey bars on my SESG, which are about the same height as the 14" Cyclesmiths were. I also chose to go with a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves and forgoe the heated grips. For me this is a much more efficient way to go. I'm extremely happy with this setup and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps. Please post some pic's of whatever you decide.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Page created in 0.884 seconds with 25 queries.