Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replace or Clean your Reusable air filter Poll  (Read 2410 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Replace or Clean your Reusable air filter Poll
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »

Wondered what folks are doing with their Cleanable air filters, I have heard pro' and con', one con I heard that after cleaning the air filter larger particles are allowed through the filter causing potential damage.

Cheers!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Replace or Clean your Reusable air filter Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

Have to keep them oiled properly.  US Army uses K & N filters on their helicopters in Iraq and Afghanistan for engine inlet barrier filters.  They are used and abused and cleaned and reused.  When you start to see a "fuzziness" on the filter after you clean and let dry, it's time to replace it. Never let pressure washer hit your filter. Quickest way to degrade them is high pressure water spray.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »

Wondered what folks are doing with their Cleanable air filters, I have heard pro' and con', one con I heard that after cleaning the air filter larger particles are allowed through the filter causing potential damage.
Cheers!

First, I have a question for you.  Are you talking about the washable paper (not oiled) filters that come stock on a Harley, or the oiled K&N variety, or possibly both? 

Assuming you clean either type the correct way, and don't force the dirt through from the outer surface to the inner surface, I don't think there is any validity to the story you heard about allowing larger particles through.  That sounds like something dreamed up by an armchair "mechanic" who wants to sell lots of replacements for perfectly good filters.  I guess if you don't mind wasting $60 at every service you could just replace them, but you would in fact be wasting your money.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »

Washable K&N/Zippers filters, I read an article sometime back from a heavy equipment operator who said they didnt reuse them.  I'll see if I can find the article.
2015 FLTRUSE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

Washable K&N/Zippers filters, I read an article sometime back from a heavy equipment operator who said they didnt reuse them.  I'll see if I can find the article.

If that's the case, he needs to get a brain and quit paying extra for reuseable filters.  He can probably buy at least 3 throw-away types for the price of one K&N.

Assuming the filter media hasn't been damaged by sharp objects or ham fisted folks trying to power wash it, the theory especially doesn't hold water in the case of the oiled elements.  The oil film is what makes that kind of element effective, and one or two slightly larger pores in the actual gauze don't mean diddly as long as the media is properly oiled.  Maybe he doesn't have qualified people to clean, inspect, and re-oil the filters so he figures it's cheaper to replace them.  Or he figures time and labor is more expensive to him than the filters.  If so, like I said, he should just look for cheaper throwaway filters to start with.

Anyhow, what some commercial operator does really doesn't directly correlate to what a private individual should do with his personal motorcycle.  If you don't think you have sufficient time or expertise to clean, inspect, and re-oil the air filter on your bike, then I guess you get to pay $60 for a replacement each time you assume it's dirty.  In that case I would suggest using the paper versions and looking for a volume discount somewhere.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »

If that's the case, he needs to get a brain and quit paying extra for reuseable filters.  He can probably buy at least 3 throw-away types for the price of one K&N.

Assuming the filter media hasn't been damaged by sharp objects or ham fisted folks trying to power wash it, the theory especially doesn't hold water in the case of the oiled elements.  The oil film is what makes that kind of element effective, and one or two slightly larger pores in the actual gauze don't mean diddly as long as the media is properly oiled.  Maybe he doesn't have qualified people to clean, inspect, and re-oil the filters so he figures it's cheaper to replace them.  Or he figures time and labor is more expensive to him than the filters.  If so, like I said, he should just look for cheaper throwaway filters to start with.

Anyhow, what some commercial operator does really doesn't directly correlate to what a private individual should do with his personal motorcycle.  If you don't think you have sufficient time or expertise to clean, inspect, and re-oil the air filter on your bike, then I guess you get to pay $60 for a replacement each time you assume it's dirty.  In that case I would suggest using the paper versions and looking for a volume discount somewhere.

Jerry
Would have been safer to say I couldn't remember the article!

Cheers
2015 FLTRUSE

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »

If properly cleaned and cared for, a K&N air filter will likely last as long as you own the bike and then some.  Even the stock Ventilator filter, if washed properly, will last a few services.

A larger particle of dust (we're talking about pollen sized particles), even if not caught by the A/F, will not damage your engine.

You know that if you put a K&N filter on your bike, it voids the warranty?  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

If properly cleaned and cared for, a K&N air filter will likely last as long as you own the bike and then some.  Even the stock Ventilator filter, if washed properly, will last a few services.

A larger particle of dust (we're talking about pollen sized particles), even if not caught by the A/F, will not damage your engine.

You know that if you put a K&N filter on your bike, it voids the warranty?  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: ;)

What warranty?  You mean Harley has a warranty?  Since when?  Is it a real warranty, or just one of those "catch us if you can" deals?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Jerry ;)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »

What warranty?  You mean Harley has a warranty?  Since when?  Is it a real warranty, or just one of those "catch us if you can" deals?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

Jerry ;)

It's kind of like pinning the tail on the Donkey...you don't know if you'll get the head or the azz...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

I'm testing the new synthetic air filter!
 :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »

Is that they one they made from the frozen Amsoil droplets?  Doesn't need oiling  :nixweiss:
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »

I just use pieces cut out of my old T-shirts.  I've become much more attuned to recycling lately, and I hate to waste all that cotton.  And I use a little Wesson oil, it's cheaper than the fancy red stuff.

Jerry

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »

us heavy equipment guys get all weird about air filters - a failed air filter will completely TRASH a engine in 15 to 20 mins, the last filter failure i was involved in was a filter on a komatsu d39. the filter light came on - the filter was instantly replaced, shut down and new filter - but enough crap got through the filter when the light came on to cause the engine to be so trashed that the cam shaft had 20 thou clearance & the blow by after 15 mins was so intense that it would empty the crankcase through a valve cover vent of 15 gal of oil in about 5 mins - it ran 15 mins total from "light on" - to no salvageable parts in the block - nothing was salvageable.

the dozer was running in fine dry trap rock - basically was driven to the side of the site and that was 150 ft too far.

so when i take them off - if its not "perfect" it doesnt go back on - ever.

to

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.