Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000serg starts funny  (Read 552 times)

RGSRULE

2000serg starts funny
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »

hey yall, when starting from a cold start bike sounds like its running on one cyl,(rear) then within 10-15 secs front starts to spark to life then kicks in and idle is normal? when i rev it up in garage it has poor response unless i really squeeze it,runs great when riding it,when stopping for short periods 15 mins to 1/2hr it starts kinda rough and rolls over a few more times than expected b4 it fires,sometime does the one cyl thing when hot? somtimes fires on 2cyls? i know the MM efi is problematic any suggestion on what might be going on, dont know much about efi or who i could trust to look at it with out pullin my pants down. 2nd post yippee,btw cool site!!

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 2000serg starts funny
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »

Been a long time, but if memory serves me, my 2000 went through several IAC servos and a number of cold start sensors both made the bike run poorly, I eventually converted mine to a Carb eliminated all the glitches.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

I just went through that and had to replace the "idle speed control actuator assembly" along with the hoses and fuel filter in the tank. The iscas has bearings that wear out and the hoses rub against the inside of the tank and eventually leak making for hard starts and surging when the tank is half full or less. Both items are easy fixes, but require a couple of hours with a computer wizard. The conversion to carburetor and points(?) looks more appealing all the time. I'm hoping that CA inspections exempt these old classics when the time comes if I choose to go low tech no tech.  Doc

RGSRULE

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

thanks doc,was hopin youd chime in more i read more the carb sounds like the cure, but would be a winter thing just startin to ride up here and cant get off this thing. i am taking bike to my indy on fri for full service.just bought bike last week and in april 2010 it had 3800kms on it so it sat for a while at some point is there anything that jumps out at you we should be checking. i already put plugs and wires on it thinking that might be cure (not!).THX.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »

Wow, low miles !!!  I guess nothing is worn out then. The only weak point on that bike are the cam chain tensioners which should be inspected every 15K miles or so. I switched to gear drive cams because the spring/plastic shoe tensioners have a bad habit of coming apart and grenading the engine. I'm sure your indy will get you going without too much fuss.  Doc

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.