Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Forgot my fob today. Big mess!  (Read 5575 times)

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Re: Forgot my fob today. Big mess!
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »

I recommend that you get the manual out and look up the security system and how to set and use a personal code.  Learn how to set a code, then actually set one, and then use it to deactivate the security system a few times to make sure you can do so when and if it becomes necessary.  Look in the manual for the little tear out card that has the instructions on it and a place for you to write down the code, fill it out, and place it in your wallet.  This could be the difference between still being able to ride when your fob gets lost or dies, and walking or hanging out somewhere waiting for a road service call. 

Jerry

Thanks for the information Jerry.  :2vrolijk_21:  That little tear out card was missing from the owner’s manual when I bought the bike used, so I've been wondering how one would override the original PIN, if it is not known as in my case.  This has been on my to-do list.

BTW: When I try to take my bike without the fob in my pocket, the bike first chirps with a little warning.  If I continue to move it, it will start screamin!   It does it sometimes even with the fob in my chaps pocket, but the battery may be low.  It is time to change them in both fobs, for sure.  I store all vehicle keys in a cabinet in the kitchen, so if someone messes with the bike the alarm will sound.  Just in case someone decides to lift my ride.  It’s a real PITA when the alarm chirps at 05:30 waking the neighbors.    Boy that sucker’s loud early in the morning.  Arghhh! :-\
 :
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »

I recommend that you get the manual out and look up the security system and how to set and use a personal code.  Learn how to set a code, then actually set one, and then use it to deactivate the security system a few times to make sure you can do so when and if it becomes necessary.  Look in the manual for the little tear out card that has the instructions on it and a place for you to write down the code, fill it out, and place it in your wallet.  This could be the difference between still being able to ride when your fob gets lost or dies, and walking or hanging out somewhere waiting for a road service call. 

Jerry

Thanks J!

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »

As far as I know, the siren can be disconnected completely.  It used to be a separate optional component, and the security system would still do it's thing to imobilize the bike if you didn't have the optional siren installed.  Be aware that the siren also has an internal battery, so that if a thief were to cut a battery cable the siren would still operate.

If you just want to reduce the volume, I guess you could wrap it a few times with that all purpose wonder product, duct tape. ;)

Jerry

I will speak with the dealer.  I would like to disable for around town use and then enable when venturing on longer trips to unknown areas.  I also need to get a handle on how long the alarm sounds.  My understanding is that is stops after 30 seconds to preserve the battery, but it felt like an eternity when it went off in a parking garage the other day.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »

Jerry

That's fantastic advice.  When my FOB wouldn't work at a gas station I got out the owners manual to look for the PIN in the alarm section and it wasn't written in the manual.  I called the dealer to see if they enter one when doing dealer setup and to let me know what they enter.  They didn't know.  Finally figured out I was getting interference from something and held the FOB by the seat and it finally worked.

When I put my bike in storage I had the dealer change the PIN and write it down for me so I won't be stranded again.  Talk about being helpless.........  :wall:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »

Even entering the "pin" is frustrating.  They should come up with a simpler fail safe for owners...

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

Even entering the "pin" is frustrating.  They should come up with a simpler fail safe for owners...

:nixweiss: retinal scan?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »

:nixweiss: retinal scan?

Nah, that won't work either.  With the type of folks we have running around loose these days, they'd just pop your eyeball out after they shot you and then hold it up to the scanner.

The system with the turn signal switches seems flaky the first time you do it, but if people would just take the time to practice it until it becomes second nature it wouldn't be a problem.  IMHO, the problem is that most folks don't even think about it until the fob dies or they forget to take it with them, then they try to figure it out for the first time while the alarm is blaring and they're standing there all embarrassed while folks point and stare.  Been there a long time ago, so I know of what I speak.

Maybe when Harley creeps into the 21st century they could add a touchpad where you could just directly enter the pin, kind of like the keyless entry systems the car folks have had for about 30+ years.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »

Great idea!  (key pad)...

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

I sure wouldn't mind if they just went back to the old type fob that is not automatic.
Steve

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

I sure wouldn't mind if they just went back to the old type fob that is not automatic.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Probably never happen though.  Once the folks who design our consumer products decide to throw a bunch of electronic crap on those products, just because it's easy and cheap to do these days, they very rarely back off when it turns out to be not so great.

I'm still holding out for an implantable microchip that could be programmed to not only work with the Harley security system, but also the keyless entry and security systems on all your four wheeled vehicles, your garage door opener, your computer login, the locks on your house and office, etc.  Lord knows we don't have the capability to carry around a bunch of fobs and keys and stuff these days, what with needing one hand for the Starbucks, one hand for the smart phone, once hand to salute those we've cut off in traffic, one hand to perform grooming tasks while driving down the highway, and one hand to pick our noses.  Or maybe we just need a genetic mutation so we can grow more hands, and cargo pants with lots of pockets. :nixweiss: 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sixgun95

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »

Thanks to this thread I programmed my pin and will chg my FOB batteries regularly!
2015 Ultra Limited Low

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »

Thanks to this thread I programmed my pin and will chg my FOB batteries regularly!

Each year before tour annual long-distance trip I change mine and my wifemFOB batteries.  Lesson learned-use fresh batteries  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I'm still holding out for an implantable microchip that could be programmed to not only work with the Harley security system, but also the keyless entry and security systems on all your four wheeled vehicles, your garage door opener, your computer login, the locks on your house and office, etc.  Lord knows we don't have the capability to carry around a bunch of fobs and keys and stuff these days, what with needing one hand for the Starbucks, one hand for the smart phone, once hand to salute those we've cut off in traffic, one hand to perform grooming tasks while driving down the highway, and one hand to pick our noses.  Or maybe we just need a genetic mutation so we can grow more hands, and cargo pants with lots of pockets. :nixweiss: 

Jerry

LMAORH Jerry! You nailed it with this one!   :2vrolijk_20: The fob button design works for me too.  If it's good enough for our Jag and Mercedes, it should be for the Harley.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.