Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woods lifter question  (Read 7804 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
Woods lifter question
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »

I got another set of woods lifters for my 06 seuc.  I am running se adjustable pushrods.  When installing them.  I went the 4 turns on all of them to set them.  All of them bled off and were good in 5-10 mins.  Only one would never bleed off even after a couple hours.  If you backed it off 2 turns then there wasn't pressure on it.  Tried it 2 different times and 16 flats is to much but 14 will get it to spin.  Not sure what to think here.  Should i just go with 14 flats and call it good or am i bottomed out already and way to tight?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Woods lifter question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

I got another set of woods lifters for my 06 seuc.  I am running se adjustable pushrods.  When installing them.  I went the 4 turns on all of them to set them.  All of them bled off and were good in 5-10 mins.  Only one would never bleed off even after a couple hours.  If you backed it off 2 turns then there wasn't pressure on it.  Tried it 2 different times and 16 flats is to much but 14 will get it to spin.  Not sure what to think here.  Should i just go with 14 flats and call it good or am i bottomed out already and way to tight?

Woods Directional lifters installation instructions call for the pushrod to be set .120/.130 deep into the lifter, which is a bit deeper than the typical adjustment setting (generally, a typical lifter is set to approx. .100 deep).

Installation instructions...

http://www.woodcarbs.com/Directional_Roller_Lifter_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:14:46 PM »

I'm running the same lifters but I didn't count the flats.  After setting them to zero lash I just counted 3 full turns using the O indicator on the pushrod. I calculated this using the threads per in formula provided by Bob Woods the exact calculated number was a little over 2.9 turns.  Also make sure the lifters are in the lowest position on the cam lobes if you try to adjust the rods in any other position they will not adjust up correctly.
                                                                                       Cory

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:31:09 PM by Big C. »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »

Where did you get the 4 turns from?  My SE pushrods are 24 threads per inch, and one full turn equals .042" in pushrod length.  Assuming you want to center the piston in the lifter (.200" total travel), that would take 2.4 turns from zero lash.  If you use Wood's recommendation of .120-.130", that would be 3.0 turns from zero lash.  

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:16:56 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:26:15 PM »

Pretty sure when i checked my pushrods are 32tpi.  Unless i got it wrong somehow.  Think i even saw on his site it say with se ones to go 4 turns and i have spoke with him before and he said 3.5-4 turns depending on the noise.  I believe the tapered se pushrods are 24 tpi.  i am not sure on that either though.  There are 4 flats on mine for one revolution so 16 flats is 4 turns.  So for .100 you would go 3.2 turns and for your .120 -.130 would be right around 4 turns.  its just weird that all the rest of them were fine but that one.  I went and backed it off a copule flats and started it to pump it up gonna let it cool down and adjust again and see if anything changes.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

I used the same lifters and pushrods and did the four turns.  All 4 bled down real quick.  Based on what I read and was told I was expecting them to take longer. I was able to rotate both pushrods within 5 minutes.

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

Where did you get the 4 turns from?  My SE pushrods are 24 threads per inch, and one full turn equals .042" in pushrod length.  Assuming you want to center the piston in the lifter (.200" total travel), that would take 2.4 turns from zero lash.  If you use Wood's recommendation of .120-.130", that would be 3.0 turns from zero lash.  

Jerry

Jerry I did post that I recomended  him to go 3 turns from zero lash. :nixweiss:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

Pretty sure when i checked my pushrods are 32tpi.  Unless i got it wrong somehow.  Think i even saw on his site it say with se ones to go 4 turns and i have spoke with him before and he said 3.5-4 turns depending on the noise.  I believe the tapered se pushrods are 24 tpi.  i am not sure on that either though.  There are 4 flats on mine for one revolution so 16 flats is 4 turns.  So for .100 you would go 3.2 turns and for your .120 -.130 would be right around 4 turns.  its just weird that all the rest of them were fine but that one.  I went and backed it off a copule flats and started it to pump it up gonna let it cool down and adjust again and see if anything changes.

If you are using .032 tpi pushrods, then 4 turns is correct per Woods installation recommendation.

For those using .024 tpi SE tapered pushrods, then 3 turns would be correct, again, per Woods installation recommendation.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »

I guess i might have been wrong on this.  I could of swore the pushrods in this bike were 32tpi.  But i went and ran it out 2.5 turns and got right about .100 movement.  so i guess 3 turns is about right.  maybe i was just getting close to bottoming out that lifter and not the other onese with 4 turns.  glad i asked and you guys made me measure again.  

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »

Both the regular and the tapered SE quick install pushrods for Twin Cams are listed as 24 threads per inch.  I'm not sure which ones you have, perhaps you have the older SE pushrods.  Anyway, I think I'd double check it since it could make a significant difference.

You may have had one lifter that wasn't full of oil when you started the process.  The Wood lifters are very slow to fill, and some never do.  I sent one set back because at least one leaked down almost immediately and wouldn't pump back up in less than five minutes.  After running the engine for a significant amount of time to let the lifters fill as much as they ever would, the bike was allowed to sit overnight to cool down and everything was adjusted again.  Same problem, at least one lifter was hammering on startup and after running for several minutes. The replacement set was sent back because they wouldn't fit in the bores properly; Wood wanted me to do a little surgery with a file to get the pins to fit.  I told them thanks but no thanks.  I'm currently running stock B lifters.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »

I used the same lifters and pushrods and did the four turns.  All 4 bled down real quick.  Based on what I read and was told I was expecting them to take longer. I was able to rotate both pushrods within 5 minutes.

My bad...just saw you're using SE pushrods....I used S&S 32 tpi.  Sorry for the confusion.

Z10

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »

The Wood lifters are very slow to fill, and some never do.  I sent one set back because at least one leaked down almost immediately and wouldn't pump back up in less than five minutes. 

Hmmmm..interesting info Jerry.  I've noticed this as well (slow to fill.) I let the bike idle for about 5 minutes (when its cold) before riding off.  If I don't it's pretty noisey. Once they pump up they're very quiet. Haven't been able to determine how quick mine are leaking down. During my trip last week the only time I heard them was when I cranked it up after sitting over night.

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »

Both the regular and the tapered SE quick install pushrods for Twin Cams are listed as 24 threads per inch.  I'm not sure which ones you have, perhaps you have the older SE pushrods.  Anyway, I think I'd double check it since it could make a significant difference.

You may have had one lifter that wasn't full of oil when you started the process.  The Wood lifters are very slow to fill, and some never do.  I sent one set back because at least one leaked down almost immediately and wouldn't pump back up in less than five minutes.  After running the engine for a significant amount of time to let the lifters fill as much as they ever would, the bike was allowed to sit overnight to cool down and everything was adjusted again.  Same problem, at least one lifter was hammering on startup and after running for several minutes. The replacement set was sent back because they wouldn't fit in the bores properly; Wood wanted me to do a little surgery with a file to get the pins to fit.  I told them thanks but no thanks.  I'm currently running stock B lifters.

Jerry

Jerry i had the same problem with my last set.  I had one that just wouldn't pump up so took it out right away.  then had another one stop at 200 miles.  So took them all out and sent them back to bob and he said he would look at them and let me know.  Then i got hit by a car the day he got them and kinda spaced it out that he had them till last week.  Called him and said he had no clue about me sending any back but would give me half off the price for another set.  figured i was screwed regardless so got another set.  Hope it was a good choice and it doesn't happen again.  Had some fueling ones in this bike and the just started not pumping up after about 30k miles or at least the front exhaust lifter did.

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:41:08 PM »

If you are using .032 tpi pushrods, then 4 turns is correct per Woods installation recommendation.

For those using .024 tpi SE tapered pushrods, then 3 turns would be correct, again, per Woods installation recommendation.
  Gottcha

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »

When I installed with SE Tapered Pushrods and Woods Directional Lifters Bobby Woods told me they ship with a thinner weight oil so the first time they will bleed fast. Adjustments recommended is 3 turns plus 1 flat. Once the lifters are filled with 20w-50 they bleed very slow(like hours to bleed enough to rotate pushrod).

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.