Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing rotors / wheel balance?  (Read 1130 times)

M Bon

• Junior CVO Member
Changing rotors / wheel balance?
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »

I am caging my rotors on a brand new bike to polished stainless. Should I have the wheel balanced?

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Changing rotors / wheel balance?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »

Just installed a new floating rear rotor on the SERG.  Didn't check the balance but it rides the same.  I would be surprised if a machined metal part was out of balance enough to notice.  If the new parts do noticably affect the balance I say they are poor quality.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »

I am caging my rotors on a brand new bike to polished stainless. Should I have the wheel balanced?

It's probably not necessary if you're using high quality rotors, since they should be balanced themselves before you buy them.  But considering the idea that your new bike still has the factory balance job, and considering you will have the wheels off anyway to change the rotors, why not take them by a good shop to have them do a quick balance check?  Then you will know for sure and not have to second guess yourself until it's time to change the tires.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »

Last time I had the dealer change my tires I had removed the rotors, because I was making a change. Dealer called me up and said they needed to rotors to correctly balance the tires.
Not a big deal, when I picked up the tires I gave them the rotors, had a cup of coffee and they were done.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »

What we always do is check the runout on every rotor that we install as for some reason some rotors have shown up out of spec.  Harley spec is .008 on their rotors. 
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

Ixlr8

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »

Try rideing with rotors that have runout of 00.6 front end vibrates so bad I am changing them out. 008 nobody at the moco would ride a bike at 008 you can't hardly hold it in a hard stop.my hd dealer in Portland or. Is ,free of charge,putten new ones on bike has 12000 on it .2011.5 flhtcu Se6,this has been the first time anything has gone wrong with this bike.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.