Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V&H Dresser Duals VS. De-Catted Stock Header  (Read 2941 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
V&H Dresser Duals VS. De-Catted Stock Header
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

Since I was bored over the past couple of days I decided to do a little test to compare the sound difference between the V&H Dresser Duals (True Duals) with V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons and a De-Catted Stock Header with the Hi-Outputs on my 2011 CVO Street Glide.

Removing the catalytic converter was much easier than I expected. I simple cut a panel out of one side of the collector with a cutting wheel and then chiseled out the cat. The cat is pretty tough material. Took about an hour total. Then I had a friend weld the panel back on. Took about 10 minutes.

This morning I removed the Dresser Duals and installed the De-Catted Stock Header. A little bit of a chore but about 2 hours. I was told by my tuner that my current tune should work pretty good. Which it does.

V&H Dresser Duals with V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
** Definitely a true dual sound and rumble
** Loud at 70 MPH cruise
** Loud at 50 MPH backroad cruise
** Loud on or off throttle
** Deep but not too deep
** Sounds more like straight pipes
** Love the sound at wide open throttle
** On a scale from 1-10 on the Loud-O-Meter about 10.5

De-Catted Stock Header with V&H Hi-Output Slip-Ons** Definitely a not a true dual sound
** Quiet at 70 MPH cruise (wind noise almost covers the sound of the pipes)
** Quiet at 50 MPH backroad cruise (Engine noise almost covers the sound of the pipes)
** Quiet on or off throttle
** Deep, Deep, Deep especially at idle
** Sounds more like a quiet bagger now
** At wide open throttle they have a little crack but not much
** On a scale from 1-10 on the Loud-O-Meter about 5.0

I am shocked by the comparison!!!!! I expected a couple of drops in Db but Holy Toledo!! Before, on long rides, I found myself always trying to outrun the loud pipes and now it's almost like having stock exhaust with a bit more sound. On the Loud-O-Meter stock was about a 2.0.

It is a dramatic change that I did not forsee at all. It is smoother at idle. I did not notice any heat change. It's almost on the too quiet side. It seems to perform the same on the old Butt-O-Meter.

It will take some getting used to but I think I like it.

Have you all "heard" the same thing?
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 25 queries.