Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLHTCUSE5 Brake light problems  (Read 7676 times)

mark z

• 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Candy Cobalt and Twilight Blue
  • Junior CVO Member
FLHTCUSE5 Brake light problems
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »

Yesterday I took my FLHTCUSE5 for a ride, when I returned home I checked to see if all the lights were functioning properly. What I found was that the brake light was not coming on, the fuse checked out ok. The tail lamp is the HD LED so reinstalled the stock HD lamp and nothing. I’m not sure where to go next,  :nixweiss: any ideas. Thanks Mark

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: FLHTCUSE5 Brake light problems
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »

There is a recall for this:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=67853.0

Thanks, the recall is for the rear foot brake switch.  I had that replaced a while back. The brake lamp is not working when the hand brake is applied either, I was told that is on a separate switch.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:37:41 AM »

I believe that the switch is on the bottom frame rail, right side, towards the back tire.  There are other threads discussing how to test this switch.  You will need to do a search.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »

Unplug the 2 wires at the rear brake light switch on frame rail and make a jumper (paper clip), turn the ignition on, and the brake lights should come on.

Also, if the front brake light switch fails, the brake lights can be on all the time.  If this happens, the cruise will not work.

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »

Unplug the 2 wires at the rear brake light switch on frame rail and make a jumper (paper clip), turn the ignition on, and the brake lights should come on.

Also, if the front brake light switch fails, the brake lights can be on all the time.  If this happens, the cruise will not work.

I unpluged the two wires and jumped the rear switch located on the frame rail and nothing. Also, the cruse did work fine last night. Thanks, Mark

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Yesterday I took my FLHTCUSE5 for a ride, when I returned home I checked to see if all the lights were functioning properly. What I found was that the brake light was not coming on, the fuse checked out ok. The tail lamp is the HD LED so reinstalled the stock HD lamp and nothing. I’m not sure where to go next,  :nixweiss: any ideas. Thanks Mark

I just noticed the ABS warning light is flashing in the Tach.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »

Markz, since you jumped the rear switch and the brake light did not come on try jumping the wires you pulled off the switch, and apply the rear brake.(I am trying to remember , but I think if you jump the two wires coming off the rear brake light switch your rear brake light should light up without pressing the brake pedal because the purpose of the switch is to make a connection for those two wires as long as the ignition is on) If the brake light comes on then that means your switch is bad for sure. If it doesn't then you will need to look for a short in your wiring. I have replaced at least 4 rear brake light switches  on my 95 Heritage, and when I jumped the wires the brake light would come on, it was always the switch. You  must bleed the brakes after you put in the new switch, but like one of the other guys said there is a recall for this and after the brakes are bled the tech will hook up an electronic device to (" sync the abs "). I made a post about when I had the switch on my 09 replaced under the recall. It was still working at the time. CAHDBIKER

I unpluged the two wires and jumped the rear switch located on the frame rail and nothing. Also, the cruse did work fine last night. Thanks, Mark

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »

I just noticed the ABS warning light is flashing in the Tach.

The ABS light will always flash until the bike starts to move.

Wish I could be more help.

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »

Cahdbiker, after your comment I just went back to the hyd brake switch its self. I put multi meter to it and hit the brake pedal, the switch is turning on and off as I apply brake. I then put a test light to the two wires I removed from the switch, one is hot. I then propped up a mirror to the rear of the bike and tried jumping the two wires with a paper again, thinking maybe I missed something last time, but still no brake light. Thanks

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »

MarkZ, If you attached the multimeter to the wiring while it was installed to the brake switch and you got an on and off reading your problem has to be somewhere between there and the tailight. So it sounds like you are getting power to the switch. When I was chasing down a problem similar to yours I jumped the wires that go to the switch with a  test light that I made and the light lit up. Then I tried it again with the wires hooked up to the brake switch being very careful not to touch both sides at once and got no reading. My conclusion was bad switch, so I bought a new one and all was fine. Just so you know the original brakelight switch on my 95 lasted from new until 2007. I have been thu at least 3 more since then. I called customer service at HD. and they paid me back for the two of them that I installed myself. I noticed the newer version is much smaller than my original which was almost as big as an older GM oil sending unit. I made a post about it a while back. Let us know when you get it fixed so we all know how you did it. Thanks CAHDBIKER

Cahdbiker, after your comment I just went back to the hyd brake switch its self. I put multi meter to it and hit the brake pedal, the switch is turning on and off as I apply brake. I then put a test light to the two wires I removed from the switch, one is hot. I then propped up a mirror to the rear of the bike and tried jumping the two wires with a paper again, thinking maybe I missed something last time, but still no brake light. Thanks

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

I took the bike for a spin to determine if the cruise working properly. The cruise rocker switch lights up, also turns on the cruise light indicator on red, in the tach. When I hit the cruise set switch on the handle bar control the cruise will not set. Is the front brake switch under the faring?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

I took the bike for a spin to determine if the cruise working properly. The cruise rocker switch lights up, also turns on the cruise light indicator on red, in the tach. When I hit the cruise set switch on the handle bar control the cruise will not set. Is the front brake switch under the faring?

front switch is in the control on the handlebar

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

mark z

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »

front switch is in the control on the handlebar

Is the front brake switch hydraulically activated like the rear brake switch or is it mechanical switch.  Also in the tail lamp bulb (Wagner 3157) is the upper filament the brake light filament? This is the filament that’s on when the ignition is turned on.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

The front brake light switch is mechanical (not hydraulic) in the RH brake lever at the handlebar end.  You have to put a piece of cardboard in the front brake lever to keep from breaking the switch if you do any work on that end of the handlebar.
When you turn the ignition on, both elements would be lit if the brake lights were stuck on.  Don't know which element is the brake.  Try putting the bulb in the other way. 
Some people have had the rear taillight wiring under the rear fender rub the tire and short things out. 
The cruise will not work if the brake light is on or the bike thinks it is on.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.