Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tack/speedo goes crazy/motor kills  (Read 3726 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
tack/speedo goes crazy/motor kills
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »

Hi,
 I have a problem with my 2000 FXR4. I have an intermittant electrical problem.  The horn would start blowing, speedo frezzes, tach does two or three complete circles then the motor start running bad. Sometimes turning the key off then back on fixes it and it does fine for days or several hundred miles.
Now it is more frequent. Turning the key off sometimes nothing comes back on for a while.No instrumentation, nothing. I completely disconnected my alarm and same problem. Could it be a intermittant 30 amp breaker or the 15 amp ignition breaker. I did not find any chaffed/shorted wires yet. The speedo and tach are all electronic. Could they or the electronic ignition module cause this strange problem. I guess I shoulld start with replacing the 30 and 15 amp circuit breaker (try easy cheaper things first I guess). Does anyone one have any ideas or have seen this problem before?
If by chance that it is the electronic ignition module. Does anyone know if Screaming Eagle #32630-96 is the correct part will fit 2000 FXR4 wiring connectors? I need your help!!!!!
Thanks.
Ltank

catd7g

Re: tack/speedo goes crazy/motor kills
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:31:09 AM »

If you are serious........ a problem like that should be taken to the dealer, not the internet.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:19:25 AM »

Sorry, I've got no answer for ya. But I agree with cat, take it to a competent tech who KNOWS his electrical chit! Not necessarily a dealer though. Whomever that guy is, make sure he knows his electrical chit. Good luck and please let us know what it was. :-\

HD-dude will hopefully see this and chime in. He should know the ignition application. Maybe even help with the gremlin. Jim's one of them "good with electrical chit" guys! You might want to PM him :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »

If you are serious........ a problem like that should be taken to the dealer, not the internet.

All due respect, but a reputable forum such as CVOHarley quite often delivers more capable assistance diagnosing issues such as these than the average dealer tech...  

just saying....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:52:35 AM »

Strange problem indeed......Does it always start with the horn honking?
Thinking out loud here.....The horn and tach signals are completely separate circuits. The horn is activated by applying +12v through the switch on the bars , it has continuous ground. In order for it to honk it would need to be getting 12v on the (from memory) yellow/black wire. The tach is driven from the ignition module via a pink wire. There could chaffed wires in the harness under the tank, A 12v wire connecting with the horn and tach wire.

Any other consistant symptoms when the problem occurs?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »

Hi,
 I have a problem with my 2000 FXR4. I have an intermittant electrical problem.  The horn would start blowing, speedo frezzes, tach does two or three complete circles then the motor start running bad. Sometimes turning the key off then back on fixes it and it does fine for days or several hundred miles.
Now it is more frequent. Turning the key off sometimes nothing comes back on for a while.No instrumentation, nothing. I completely disconnected my alarm and same problem. Could it be a intermittant 30 amp breaker or the 15 amp ignition breaker. I did not find any chaffed/shorted wires yet. The speedo and tach are all electronic. Could they or the electronic ignition module cause this strange problem. I guess I shoulld start with replacing the 30 and 15 amp circuit breaker (try easy cheaper things first I guess). Does anyone one have any ideas or have seen this problem before?
If by chance that it is the electronic ignition module. Does anyone know if Screaming Eagle #32630-96 is the correct part will fit 2000 FXR4 wiring connectors? I need your help!!!!!
Thanks.
Ltank

You need a priest, not a dealer.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »

Always pisses me off when you need a priest and one is not nearby...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4398398445708334351#docid=3385579284690408654
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:53:10 PM by DRTYK9 »

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

All due respect, but a reputable forum such as CVOHarley quite often delivers more capable assistance diagnosing issues such as these than the average dealer tech...  

Sometimes Jiffy Lube offerers more capable assistance then the average dealer tech!! :nixweiss:

Jim may have something, try moving the handle bars from side to side, or wiggle the harness where it goes under the tank, or from under the seat.

Craig
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:52:44 PM by Talon »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »

Hi Everyone,
 I have been working and studying the prints untill I can get back to it. I am a electronics tech and have a game plan. I will Ohm every wire point to point then check it to ground. There may be some chaffed wires somewhere. There are speedometer codes that may help. If the wires and connectors are good then I will try disconnecting the tach, turn signal module, speedometer then speedometer and tachometer with a test run after disconnecting each item. The big problem is that it is a intermittant problem. Between the first two times was several days and hundreds of miles but now it is more frequent. Gotta have good/bad to find it. The circuits are seperate but maybe there could be some corrosion somewhere linking the two. A faulty circuit breaker could cause things to fail but not make the horn sound. The horn is faint not like normal when things are working correctly. When I do find  the problem I will post it in this section but it may be at the end of the Christmas.
Thanks Guys,
Ltank

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:04:32 AM »

I've been in electronics a very long time and spent many years fixing the most difficult intermittent problems on vehicles.  Many time the short was in a different source than where the symptoms are seen.  Where everything uses a common ground, you can get back feeding of power thru the ground.  You need to be very open minded.  Even corroded connections can cause alternate paths thru a device such as a horn sounding the horn.  After all, most DC devices don't care about polarity, onmly the potential difference in voltage.

One of my best /worst was a 2 year old Firebird in the late 70's.  Every 6 months or so, the main harness would fry.  It was at a friend's shop.  I took the interior apart and found that several wires were pinched in a metal dash support when the car was assembled.  It only burned the harness under the hood, not the inside part.

Good luck and keep us informed.

PS I used to enjoy these situations, except when it's your own vehicle.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »

No disrespect, but I have to agree with Sadunbar .....
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »

LOL

and does not pas go, or collect 200, or does not bend the needle  ...............  needs somein   

OK, I'm just kidding, but that was funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »

The problem was the alternater wire shorting to the motor prior to the alt. output plug. This intermittantly put AC voltage on on the 12 neg ground system. Causing havock on everything. I replaced the alternator no problems anymore.
Thanks,
Ltank

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.