Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Accuracy  (Read 1778 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Fuel Gauge Accuracy
« on: August 23, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

I noticed a little blurb on the news last night about a recall on a Nissan due to inaccurate fuel gauges, and I thought it might be of interest to some of the people on this site who have been experiencing the same issue with the wonderful gauges supplied by H-D.  Note that the problem with the Nissan is that the gauge still shows fuel remaining when the tank is empty, which is and has been a fairly common complaint with Harley's (including mine before I fixed it myself).  I have to question one more time why this sort of thing is a safety related defect that requires a recall when dealing with the auto industry, but Harley isn't required to recall their products when they have the exact same problem.
----------
"Nissan recalls 2013 Infiniti JX35 SUVs due to faulty fuel gauges
Aug 22, 2012 1:00 PM

Nissan's luxury-badged 2013 Infiniti JX35 sport-utility vehicles are being recalled for a defect in the fuel gauge system, said the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The fuel gauges in more than 7,800 Infiniti SUVs may display higher levels of fuel than what's actually in the tanks, which may cause drivers to unexpectedly run out of gas."
----------

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Fuel Gauge Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

Obvious answer, at least for me:  My gauge says empty when I have nearly a gallon left.  Thus, while inaccurate, it's not causing me to "unexpectedly" run out of gas and thus is not a safety issue. 

BTW, how did you fix this yourself?  Thanks in advance. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »

Obvious answer, at least for me:  My gauge says empty when I have nearly a gallon left.  Thus, while inaccurate, it's not causing me to "unexpectedly" run out of gas and thus is not a safety issue. 

BTW, how did you fix this yourself?  Thanks in advance. 

GK

When you have the sort of problem you described, fixing it requires removing the sending unit and bending the float rod.  When you have the problem I had, running out of gas with the gauge reading 3/16, you can do a simple electrical correction by adding resistance to the sending unit to gauge circuit.  In my case I spliced in a variable resistor so I could fine tune the adjustment whenever I wanted, but once the proper amount of extra resistance was determined you could also just solder in a fixed resistor of the appropriate value.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »

When my gauge ready empty I drive for 20 miles then the yellow low light comes on. I find that to be very accurate.
Bill

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

Thanks Jerry!  That made sense once I looked at the parts book.  (I'm at the office and keep my service manual at home.)  Looks like an easy fix.   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

add me in the mix my 09 cuse was dead on in the gauge and the dte :bananarock:,my 12cuse is a joke :-\,been to the dealer about 4  :-[times for this and many other thing(7 times total very upset with the bike but do like it ,the color at least blue/silver)
when you go about 200 or so miles and get gas the gauge shows empty for some time and the dte shows 81 miles left  with about 5 gal used,as I have said there is no way these get 80mpg no matter how good the tune is and this is not rocked science still to continue,,at least the trip works.only seen the low fuel light 3 times months ago
  brg
    Jon
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:55:18 PM by planenut »
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.