Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SS1000, no wait...make that a SS2000!! (long)  (Read 1397 times)

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
SS1000, no wait...make that a SS2000!! (long)
« on: July 24, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »

Welcome to the dark side.
That is what some IBA type guys told me when I said I was thinking about doing a IBA SS1000.

At 4 am Saturday, I pointed my Ultra east, heading from Alberta to Manitoba in hopes of riding 500 miles and then returning home. Well 8 hours later, we arrived at Brandon, MB. checked our bikes and had a quick snack. Everything looked great and presto, 8 hours later we arrived back a Medicine Hat, AB.
I said to my Lowrider riding buddy, "Man these Grampa bikes are the only way to ride!" He just whimpered and mumbled something about going home to bed and not moving until noon the next day. What you don't want to do this again tomorrow? (Censored) is what he said!!!

Well I felt great so I got home, checked to bike over and then fired up Mapsource... Yup I wanted more!! (This must be the Dark Side I was informed about.)

This is how Sunday went. On the road at 5 am headed to a small US border crossing. Got there at 6:15, crap it does not open until 8 am. Oh well I will just shine up the bike some while waiting. Leave the border at 8:15 no worse for wear and headed towards Billing MT.

No real excitement, nice scenery and HOT!!! weather. Made it to Billings and paid my Harley tax at Bearstooth HD. (I saw a T Bag Dekker Supreme there last month when I was at the National HOG Rally but it was sold before I could grab it.) I bought the only one they had left and continued on towards Butte, MT.

Kyle Petty's Victory Junction Gang Charity ride was supposed to be Butte and I was excited about seeing a few Nascar types but I could not find them.

I took off heading north on I-15 doing about 85 MPH and blasted through some of the nicest country I have seen. My Ultra was running quite hot and so was I. (Did I say it was HOT!!! yet?) About a hour and a half of the great riding and then back to the flat stuff. Kept her at about 85 until the border where I paid my Canadian Tax, ($33 to import a $165 tour bag)

Crossed the border and put on my helmet. It was just about 9pm and I still had 3 hours to go on some small 2 lane country roads. It was starting to get dark and wildlife as well as some lightning storms were on my mind. Our secondary roads are usually quite empty and I set the Ultra on max cruise, (about 85) until it got dark. Well after dark it is hard to make any time but I got real luck tonight. A small sports car cam ripping up behind me and I jumped on his rear bumper for the next 45 minutes. He pulled off at the next town so here I was putting along at about 55-60 when this pick up came flying by me. I thought perfect, the next big city is mine and I be this guy is heading all the way. Yup, right into Medicine Hat, I used this guy as a scout for wildlife and made it home before the lightning got too bad!!

2048 miles in 43 hours and I would have done more today if it I could have.

Did someone here say Nelson in August?
8 hours each way....that would make for a nice weekender huh, If I did a few hundred extra miles worth of touring just to make it worthwhile.<G>

Welcome to the dark side........

Brad

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: SS1000, no wait...make that a SS2000!! (long)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »

:)                     :)                         :)

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:59:57 PM »

Great ride!   Did you document for your official IBA certificate?

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »

igofar,

I hope you documented your ride. The first 2000 miler I did I never documented it. What a bummer. Next one was a 2000 miler in 37.5 hours. I know it is minute to those who have never completed a ride like ours, but having that certificate hanging on your wall makes it all worth while.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 12:02:53 AM »

Yes I did document the whole ride. I am buttoning up the papers and off to the IBA tomorrow.
The certificates I can do without. What I really want is to have an IBA #. Only people who understand will, well, understand!!

All I could think about while in the seat is how much I want a CVO.
My Ultra is great, with a pile of cash it could be CVO great but it still would only be an Ultra...
Again only those who understand, (like everyone here) understand!!

Hopefully my dealer can shake a B/O one loose for me!!

Brad

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:31:50 AM »

I saw a T Bag Dekker Supreme there last month when I was at the National HOG Rally but it was sold before I could grab it. I bought the only one they had left and continued on towards Butte, MT...

Kept her at about 85 until the border where I paid my Canadian Tax, ($33 to import a $165 tour bag)

Hey, Igofar - sounds like a great trip (I specially like the idea of using others to light your way and deflect wildlife) but I don't understand - how does the customs man know the bag is new (or not bought in Canada anyway)

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:32:54 AM by UK_Dave »
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:45:25 AM »

how does the customs man know the bag is new (or not bought in Canada anyway)
Dave

Hey Dave, I cross the border many times a year and if you make trouble even once, your name gets flagged when ever you cross again. Paying a little duty is MUCH better than the old "bend over and grab your ankles" game!!
The only real problem with the duty thing is I never know how much it is going to cost. I brought back a leather Screamin' Eagle jacket and chaps a few weeks ago and the cost to import was only $26.

Ride Safe,

Brad

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »

Welcome to the dark side.
That is what some IBA type guys told me when I said I was thinking about doing a IBA SS1000.

[highlight]Did someone here say Nelson in August?[/highlight]
8 hours each way....that would make for a nice weekender huh, If I did a few hundred extra miles worth of touring just to make it worthwhile.<G>

Welcome to the dark side........
Brad

Congrats on the miler runs and I agree on the customs thing, those boys are clever and having worked with them at an International airport they have more ways to trip a cheat up than Carter has pills.  If they want to they can make your future cross border travel miserable or eliminate it.

The more the merrier for the Nelson get together in August on the 17th in Kelowna and 18th and 19th in Nelson.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1132941314/214#214
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 11:29:41 AM by Rjob749 »

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 26 queries.