Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hit small I-Beam, glad I had wheel & tire coverage.  (Read 1809 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Hit small I-Beam, glad I had wheel & tire coverage.
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »

I just dropped off my 08 SERK at the dealership for a new wheel & tire.  I was driving at night and taking a rather sharp right hand turn when I looked out to see an object in the road.  I was doing about 40mph when I clipped the object on the right side.  I don't have to remind some of you how fast these things just happen.  I pulled over expecting the worse but other than 2 nicks in the rim and scrape marks on a fairly new tire I was OK.  I located the object to remove it from the road and was shocked to see that it was a 6 foot long piece of steel.  It was a small I-Beam probably 6" x 6".  I just thanked the Lord and I mean that in all sincerity as this could have been a disaster.  I was lucky, as I was always taught to always look ahead and have a plan in place for emergencies.  Learned allot from this site and I would not have seen the hazard if I had not purchased the H-9 bulbs from Jim aka HD-Dude a vendor on this site.  I'm absolutely positive that without the brighter lights I would not have been able to see it and have enough time to react properly.  It will probably take about 10 days to have her all fixed up.  Since I'm planning to try to sell her for a ride that offers more wind protection for my easily fatigued body I will have to wait to list her on the classifieds.  Over the winter I purchased a 2009 Yamaha FZ6 dirt cheap as a back up.  I purchased it with 1000 miles from a Road King owner that just wanted to try the dark side.  I purchased it to have something should I get lucky enough to sell her.  I'm glad I have the backup as the 2000 Ford either has a bad head gasket or worse.  Yeah some bad luck but it can all be fixed. 

Be carefull out there & thanks again Jim.

Ray G.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Hit small I-Beam, glad I had wheel & tire coverage.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »

Glad you're okay, Ray.  Good report!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

I just dropped off my 08 SERK at the dealership for a new wheel & tire.  I was driving at night and taking a rather sharp right hand turn when I looked out to see an object in the road.  I was doing about 40mph when I clipped the object on the right side.  I don't have to remind some of you how fast these things just happen.  I pulled over expecting the worse but other than 2 nicks in the rim and scrape marks on a fairly new tire I was OK.  I located the object to remove it from the road and was shocked to see that it was a 6 foot long piece of steel.  It was a small I-Beam probably 6" x 6".  I just thanked the Lord and I mean that in all sincerity as this could have been a disaster.  I was lucky, as I was always taught to always look ahead and have a plan in place for emergencies.  Learned allot from this site and I would not have seen the hazard if I had not purchased the H-9 bulbs from Jim aka HD-Dude a vendor on this site.  I'm absolutely positive that without the brighter lights I would not have been able to see it and have enough time to react properly.  It will probably take about 10 days to have her all fixed up.  Since I'm planning to try to sell her for a ride that offers more wind protection for my easily fatigued body I will have to wait to list her on the classifieds.  Over the winter I purchased a 2009 Yamaha FZ6 dirt cheap as a back up.  I purchased it with 1000 miles from a Road King owner that just wanted to try the dark side.  I purchased it to have something should I get lucky enough to sell her.  I'm glad I have the backup as the 2000 Ford either has a bad head gasket or worse.  Yeah some bad luck but it can all be fixed. 

Be carefull out there & thanks again Jim.

Ray G.

I'm glad you're okay too, but I do have a question.

On your wheel and tire rider policy, which I also have and not used, does it cover the complete wheel / tire replacement minus deductible or does it only cover up to a limited amount towards the purchase of the new wheel / tire combo?

Again, glad you came through the hit okay.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »

I'm not really sure on all the details.  We all know there is a $50.00 deductable on the ESP but I'm not sure how it relates to the wheel & tire coverage.  I asked the service manager if new bearings would be included and he was not sure.  Since the customer service person chimed in and said don't worry if there not included we will just pull the old ones and reinstall.  I said your joking right, he said no bearings last forever!  The SM did not agre & put it in writing at my request that regardless of who pays new bearings would be used.  When I have all the info I will add to the post so we all know how it turned out.  I kind of wish it was the back one as it has a few small scratches while the front one was like new! I do believe that they measure the thread left and pro-rate if required.  If they didn't I'm sure some would abuse the system and just happen to have a nail or screw when it needs replacing. 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »

Unlike the other coverages under the ESP there is NO deductible for the wheel & tire.  And no proration for tire wear.  If the tire has at least 3/32" tread it will be replaced at no charge.  I had to have both my front and rear wheels and tires replaced after hitting a landscape timber and the wheel bearings were replaced at no charge.  So two new wheels and tires and wheel bearings - total cost?  Zero, zip, nada.  Glad I had the coverage.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

Good you made out ok when you hit it. :2vrolijk_21:

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »

Praise the Lord he guided you through!!

Re: The H9 bulb,,, Is that a direct replacement for the low beam dual halogen headlamp?
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »

Another question on the ESP........... Does the T&W ESP cover when your within
the factory warranty? I never thought of asking that question in the past!
The "TAZMUN"

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »

Another question on the ESP........... Does the T&W ESP cover when your within
the factory warranty? I never thought of asking that question in the past!

Absolutely, from day 1!  For tires, if you exceed a certain wear, they will not cover.  I had over 8K miles on tires that failed (twice!) and both were covered.  Once with a nail in the sidewall and once a blowout rear on the NY thruway near rochester.  the dealer stayed late and changed the tire after closing to get me on the road.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:45:33 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »

I received a call from the dealership this morning.  They put a new wheel, tire, bearings, rotors were warped again. (3rd time) so they replaced those and put in new pads. Zero cost so far.  Since the bike was vibrating so bad I had them check the front motor mount, that was shot and had to be replaced under the ESP plan.  I thought I found the right dealership as this was my first time having anywork done there.  The service guy said stay away from the aftermarket pads, I said really! they were Lyndall's and had 40K on them and I purchased them through you guys when you had a 15% off sale!  He also said the tech. thought the vibration might be from the True Track system I put on, Holy Crap they haven't even test drove it yet.  I told him lets just assume the motor mount caused the vibration and leave the rest alone.  I have Bitubo's & the AK-20 system and I guess they were puzzled because he said I would get a much better ride with all OEM parts because HD knows best.  I let him know what I thought about HD's 1.9" of rear wheel travel vs the 4.5" I now get.  I tried to be civil and explained that my SERK with it's current set up will embarrass and out corner anything you have in your shop, I have the kickstand, floorboard brackets and the True Track all ground down.  I'm on my second set of floor boards due to the first set being ground off.  I'm not trying to grind stuff it just happens.  This bike just corners like my old flattrackers, well it's a little heavier but you know what I mean.   

Honestly after having my first HD start on fire the first day I purchased it in 1972 and 5 others with issues I think I will have to move on.  If I can afford a 117" next year I may change my mind.  It's not that I want to change brands I just can't afford the work required every winter.  At that point I will have changed about everthing there is to change. 

When I pick it up and see the bill I will have a better understanding on how the Tire/Wheel coverage and the ESP applied to my repairs.  Right now I'm riding a used 09 Yamaha FZ6 I purchased with 1000 miles for $5000.00.  Way different bikes but I'm a rider, I'll ride about anything as long as it's got 2 wheels. 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:44:42 AM »

So glad you're ok to come thru this without going down.  Sounds like you got a lot of riding experience which I'm sure helped, but a I-beam....had to have some guidance from above.  Good luck with whichever way/bike you decide to go with.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »

Glad you are OK.  I feel better about buying the HD LED for mine.  It works great!
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »

Glad your OK, Ride Safe
DND

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.