Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trans main seal  (Read 2274 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
trans main seal
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:58:29 AM »

looks like @34,000 miles I needed the main seal on the trans,and a oil tank gasket....anyone else have a leak around this milege??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: trans main seal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:12:46 AM »

looks like @34,000 miles I needed the main seal on the trans,and a oil tank gasket....anyone else have a leak around this milege??
HEADPAN62,

My trans has had a small leak at what appears to be the mainshaft seal since around 7k miles, and at 10k it is getting worse (spotting garage floor now).  Scheduled to go in to dealer for this as well as a few other warranty items in the near future.  I've heard of folks with mainshaft leaks from day one, due to distorted or improperly assembled lip seals.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:26:16 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »

Had hers done at about 17,500, but her bike sat lots for the first 2 yrs of it's life.  My 01 didn't make it out of the selling dealership without the tranny seal leaking.  Took 5 dealers to get it fixed- I was riding it home- 1400 miles and 5 dealers.  Definitely frustrating.

Oh yeah, do all the primary seals while you're there.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 05:58:47 PM by arcticdude »
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:49:13 PM »

replaced everything, trans main seal,,,inner primary seal & jackshaft seal and 0-ring, outer primary gasket and inspectin gasket and oil pan gasket and still a leak....wtf!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »

replaced everything, trans main seal,,,inner primary seal & jackshaft seal and 0-ring, outer primary gasket and inspectin gasket and oil pan gasket and still a leak....wtf!!!
HEADPAN,

Is it definitely trans fluid?  Could be leaking around one of the inner primary to trans case bolts. The bottom bolt of the 3 goes into an open hole in the trans case and can wick oil.  H-D does not recommend sealer on the threads of the blind holes (could cause cracking of the case), but a light film of sealer on the bolt in the open hole might help.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:08 AM »

well it is hard to tell since they combined the trans and primary fluid into 1 thing....before trans fluid had a very(distintive smell) and it was easy to find.... anyhow it is dripping off the bottom (primary to trans case bolt) like you mentioned,but I did follow the manual and like you said I used silicone sealer between where  the primary and trans meet, and alittle on the bolt itself....I'm really pissed about it, took my time and still a leak...my luck....not lookn foward to buying the 30 dollar outer gasket again!! f/ me
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 11:55:27 AM »

Switch your tranny fluid to one of the colored choices out there, that will make things easier next time! ;D  Sorry, I had the same problem with my 01 and it's extremely frustating, to say the least.  Any chance you nicked a seal getting it in?  Since it's coming off the bottom bolt, follow the leak back up- you may need to get help since you're probably going to have to put the front end way up on your stand, while you lay under it following the trail- somebody will need to stabilize the bike.  Did the seals go in square??  Some are sensitive to "egging" if driven in off, but I'm sure you already know that.  What about the tranny vent, is it open?  Her serg puked when the vent got plugged.  Just thinking out loud.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »

ok, I switched the trans fluid to the redline shockproof (red in color )and found the leak...seems like it is coming out of the shifter pawl assembly...I looked in the manual and seen no indacation of an o-ring or anything to stop oil from seeping in this area,,in short the whole trans needs to come out just to get to the shifter pawl....this really stinks,I will not touch this one though,,going in for extended warranty,hopefully they will cover it..I will be a battle I'm sure...still B.S. though,,,I really puppy this bike and save it for the long hauls and still you,d think I could get a break at least once..has anyone else heard of a trans leak from the shifter pawl.....headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »

There's a seal just inside the shifter rod lever on the outside of the tranny.  Part # is 12045.  I don't know whether you can pluck it out after you remove the shifter lever and then get it back it squarely without removing the inner primary. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:44 AM »

no way, looks like i will be pulln the primary again...I never seen a leak there b4..I have like 60,000 miles on my softail and never had a leak there...
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »

you can change the shift shaft seal by pulling the inner primary...dont need to go into the trans.

I would use the Cometic seal for that spot as it has a spring tension ring on it the the factory seal does'nt have.  the Cometic part number for the seal is OS041.
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »

thanks for the info, taking it into concideration,,I do like using all harley seals but if you think I will get some extra longevity out of the cometic seal, it is an option,,,i will put them side by side and make a disision then,,ride on,headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Still_on2_wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 12:53:46 AM »

Shifter shaft seals seem to be the rage here in AZ lately. A buddy did his at 60k miles last month, mine lasted till 75k miles. The parts arrive next week, and down she goes for surgery.

Jeff
01 FLTRSEI2, 01FLHRI, 52 Pan, 51 Pan/Shovel. -->> Looking for a pair of plumbers thread panheads <<--

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.