Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sideplate install  (Read 3434 times)

ro9beam2002

Sideplate install
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »

Hey guys... We were riding yesterday afternoon on the t-sport and came back for lunch... Then i decided i wanted to take the fxr4 out for a spin, thought i would quickly put on the sideplates and sissy bar and off we would go... Well that didn't work out so well...  There ain't much room to take the damn inner fender fasteners off... 

Should i have had the bike on a lift so the rear tire would hang low enough to gain access?  Make a long story short... i was trying to get the threaded bolt, spacer/washer and lock washer in behind the fender to lock down the shock. I was pushing the bolt,spacer and washer to get it free and it shot up in the fender and i spent 3 hours looking for that big bolt... have no idea where it went..lol

So... i have a lift coming to day.....

So if and when i found the bolt, do i use the washer/spacer when putting the sideplate on??

Should i have had the rear tire off the ground to gain better access to the fasteners?

I was so pissed yesterday , the wife was trying to help find the bolt..etc... then was serious and said maybe the dealership should do this...etc.. kinda stuff Rob... then i banned her from the garage for the rest of the evening...

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: Sideplate install
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:25:46 PM »

"...I was so pissed yesterday , the wife was trying to help find the bolt..etc... then was serious and said maybe the dealership should do this...etc.. kinda stuff Rob...
then i banned her from the garage for the rest of the evening...."

:pepper:

As soon as I recover from laughing.....I will repost and try to see if I can provide any help!.....

I am still laughing.......

ro9beam2002

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »

lol... well i got the lift.... it is a pitbull standard lift... i got it for 100 bucks cash and a old new stock concho 1/2 helmet i paid 25bucks for.... i found the bolt,lock washer and spacer washer too!!!  I was on the right side of the bike pressing up into the fender.. it landed on the other side right behind the passenger peg..lol .. found it in 5 min with the bike on the lift... this is lift is  real nice by the way, just need to get an adapter for use on my dyna, i also had to put a piece wood under the kick stand on the fxr..it was a bit low....

still need to get the sideplates on though, awaiting any helpful instructions:)

ro9beam2002

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »

this is what took me basically 3 hours to find and the part in question.. do i use the spacer/washer ...

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »

LAUGHING!!!

I liked the part where your bride said:

"....then was serious and said maybe the dealership should do this...etc.. kinda stuff Rob....."

That is still what has me LAUGHING!!!....

Ok so I have recovered enough to see if I can help you.....

If you want a cool tip.....if you have a Harley Davidson 2012 Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories Catalog go to page# 703 and take a peak at the Chrome Bungee Nuts which come in either a 16 pitch thread (coarse) or a 24 pitch thread (fine) I put these in the two side holes (the two side holes actually have a dual purpose, the rear side hole is where your turn signals would normally come through and the front hole is where normally a bolt goes through, both side holes have the purpose of keeping the strut secured and the chrome cover, covering the strut as well....if it seems confusing on why I have been able to secure two bungee nuts on each side that's because the rear one is where your turn signals are located as I just mentioned.  I "relocated" my turn signals allowing me to use two sets of these bungee nuts and So you could use one set.  To be clear I didn't relocate my turn signals to put bungee nuts in their place, I originally relocated my turn signals to run the FXRS-CONV saddlebags, and had to run one of the connecting points (well nut receptacle) there but now that I sold the FXRS-CONV saddlebags I sold the receptacle well nut attachments and since my turn signals were permanently relocated, it was an easy transition over to the bungee nut alternative that I am showing here.

My reference is that anyone can run at least one set of bungee nuts the front side hole in place the typical ordinary bolt in it's place with a little ingenuity of securing a button head/hex head bolt adjusting it to the right length and putting the bungee nuts on the outside against the chrome side plate/cover over the strut.  In order to do this modification it would need to be coordinated when the rear tire is removed from the fender well to provide enough room to make the modification or releasing the shocks and jack up the rest of the bike allowing there to be enough room to get in there and complete the job.

Now back to my original comments:

The best thing to do is to either try fighting to get a wrench in there or as you suggested let the tire hang while on a lift which should provide enough room to get in there to hold a nut.

As I am thinking about this, you are going to have to remove your wiring back through to be able to get the side plates in position, does this make sense since the wiring for the turn signals goes through the rear strut location.  Which means that the previous owner had to remove the wiring to, to remove the side plate in the first place.  That's very interesting.  I am thinking that your turn signal wiring MUST have been actually spliced once already because they had to be cut to remove the side plate to begin with as all models came with side plates originally from the factory.  The OEM wiring does not have a stoping point from the turn signals until it gets to the lens area of the turn signal back to the tail light location. (Hopefully this makes sense)

Dropping that tire a bit should be enough room to squeeze your hand up there to work the 4 nuts off....if not....then I would suggest releasing your shocks slowly while the lift is holding the tire barely touching the ground and letting the fender raise up slowly....which will keep you from having to drop the tire completely off and out of the wheel well....

Let me know if I can provide further help.

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:22:56 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »

Another view....

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:33:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »

Photo showing how / where and how my turn signals were relocated to.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:23:34 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »

photo showing how/where my turn signals were relocated to.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:33:59 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »

photo showing how/where my turn signals were relocated to.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:34:19 PM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »

Yea tolreaances are very tight. I love the color but only found the yellow when I was ready to buy.Wish mine was Tangerine but Oh Well! I see you have Thunderstar front wheel. part# ? What spacers did you use on wheel for the brake disk? Like the rear rim.Did You change that? Did the two color FXR4s have different rims?
Any way it's a beautiful bike.
Thanks,
Ltank

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

I'm sure the OP will answer, but this is my conclusion. The front rim was traded out to the black/chrome Thunderstar. The spacer is probably similar to the FXR3s. The rear wheel is stock for a FXR4. FXR4s came with a laced wheel from the factory. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. :)

ro9beam2002

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »

Yeah, the front was like that when i bought it... the rear wheel is stock.  Getting ready to try and install the sideplates tonight...thanks fxr2!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »

lol... well i got the lift.... it is a pitbull standard lift... i got it for 100 bucks cash and a old new stock concho 1/2 helmet i paid 25bucks for.... i found the bolt,lock washer and spacer washer too!!!  I was on the right side of the bike pressing up into the fender.. it landed on the other side right behind the passenger peg..lol .. found it in 5 min with the bike on the lift... this is lift is  real nice by the way, just need to get an adapter for use on my dyna, i also had to put a piece wood under the kick stand on the fxr..it was a bit low....

still need to get the sideplates on though, awaiting any helpful instructions:)
I tried to get the standard pitbull lift under my FXR4 and found it too low.  I canned the idea and bought a Titan lift.  The DYNA version of the Titan lift is much wider I think and wouldn't sit well on the frame, front to back.  It fell on the curved areas, which didn't look to good.  The center mount jiffy stand really limits other lifting options, too.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ro9beam2002

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »

the standard pit-bull lift did just fine on my fxr4,  after i put the stand on a small piece of wood... rock solid on the lift fully in the air... i could stand on one corner  of the lift in the air fully and it did not budge..wiggle or wobble..etc.. i weigh 260lbs... very impressed with the lift

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.