Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steering bearing grease issue.  (Read 2363 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
steering bearing grease issue.
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »

Everybody better check their grease in their main steering bearing!Ok, first time shame on me.....second time shame on Harley and the dealership, and whoever else is supposed to be checking this stuff that we're all paying for.  Just finally got around to double-checking the grease zirc for the main steering bearing.  The other night I checked it when it had about 125 miles on it.  Could only get about 5 pumps in it and it just didn't want to put any more in.  felt like it was plugged or something.  So today, with now about 240 miles on it, I tried again and only 5 or so pumps and seemed like it was pressured up so much the grease gun didn't want to pump.  So, I pulled out the zirc, tried it with it in the end of the gun, and it flowed through flawlessly.  So, checked inside the threaded hole and it seemed like no obstruction.  So threaded it back in and put the gun to it.  Pumped in about a total of 55 pumps before grease finally showed up at the top and bottom of the housing (illustrated in the picture below), as per the manual.  Thought back to last year with the '11 and I didn't check the main bearing until the 5,000 mile check.  Took 55 pumps then also, and I thought I may have damaged something by not having much grease in it.  I took it into the shop for the 1,000 mile check and they must have not put any in or checked it either.  Now this '12 is just as lacking in grease as the other one was.  What are we paying for when we are charged a separate "set up" fee by the delivering dealer??  And isn't Harley responsible to putting grease in the main steering bearing at the factory??  How many people check and grease their own steering bearings??  Now, how many rely on the service dealer to do that and reallly it isn't happening at all??  But of course they charge you for it.  And maybe when at 20,000 miles it finally gives out on you and your bike is off warranty, they can charge you for replacing bearings??  From now on, I'm doing whatever maintenance work I can, rather than pay some dealer to "space" it and leave me holding the empty bag.  I can "fail to do it" myself for free!   >:(   oopps, let's make that X 2  >:( >:(  yeah, that's better.  Great product; lousy warranty/maintenance program.  Such a waste of good training.   Pork.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:02:06 PM by porkypig »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: steering bearing grease issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

That the necks don't greased properly as part of PDI unfortunately isn't new news.  Seems like most bikes don't have this done before the new owner takes the bike home.  Has been an issue literally for years.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:59:39 PM »

Funny, dealers don't grease the neck for a PDI but they will for a wobble complaint.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »

I have learned to not only not rely on my 'local dealer' for proper service....my bike no longer goes inside their doors. Last issue included not enough grease in the neck and "too much on the rear rotor"!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »

I have learned to not only not rely on my 'local dealer' for proper service....my bike no longer goes inside their doors. Last issue included not enough grease in the neck and "too much on the rear rotor"!!

R U kidding me?
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »

I would point out in HD's defense, and lord knows they need some!!, most bearings are packed with some grease on them, and if they packed them them in house, they would not fill the neck full just to waste that much grease per bike. Now I don't care what they do, I would still fill mine up. The bearing manufacturers, put 10-35% capacity of housing, and then recommend regular lube based upon use, speed, loading from all angles etc. And since the neck bearings hardly move fast or far, there isn't much grease spread. Yeah 55 pumps is a good thing, it helps keeps other stuff out of the neck and is really more of a second seal then it is as lube for the bearings after it has been filled the first time..
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:22:41 AM »

I would point out in HD's defense, and lord knows they need some!!, most bearings are packed with some grease on them, and if they packed them them in house, they would not fill the neck full just to waste that much grease per bike. Now I don't care what they do, I would still fill mine up. The bearing manufacturers, put 10-35% capacity of housing, and then recommend regular lube based upon use, speed, loading from all angles etc. And since the neck bearings hardly move fast or far, there isn't much grease spread. Yeah 55 pumps is a good thing, it helps keeps other stuff out of the neck and is really more of a second seal then it is as lube for the bearings after it has been filled the first time..

This is true  :2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »

I agree that they "can" get away with it at assembly because the bearings do come pre greased but it's still BS and certainely not looking out for the customer and longevity of service parts.

AND, what the defense for the dealers not filling it up at 1000 mile service???? :furious3:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

1betsy1

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:00:06 AM »

The top and bottom neck bearing are greased individually from the factory. The only way to get grease to the top and bottom bearing once the bike is assembled is to fill the steering neck up with grease to where the grease pushes out both upper and lower bearing.

petewerner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »

I agree that they "can" get away with it at assembly because the bearings do come pre greased but it's still BS and certainly not looking out for the customer and longevity of service parts.

AND, what the defense for the dealers not filling it up at 1000 mile service???? :furious3:

We all know that they (dealers) in many cases won't put squat in there (or anywhere) for the expense alone... I have a grease gun and I use a lithium based grease as I get my bike soaking wet on a regular basis with rain and pressure washing the chunks off...
       2 list....

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »

...........and when it gets hot the grease will drip out all over your legs and the garage floor !!

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.