Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Stripped Primary Drain Plug  (Read 3315 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Re: Stripped Primary Drain Plug
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »

Curious; is your perception when they do this that they're going above and beyond the norm in some positive way?  Or is your take that they're doing unnecessary service they can charge a little extra for without really taking much more time for the effort?

My perception is that with pre-paid service, they would only do the minimum requirement as called for in the manual.

When I did my own service, I would generally change the primary oil with every oil change, as I could tell a difference in the clutch action with fresh oil.  As the primary oil nears it's recommended change interval, the clutch would get a bit grabby close to full engagement.  It felt like a little "grunch" that would go away with fresh fluid.  All 3 of my Ultras have done this.

The lifetime service plan, as sold by my dealer, costs what the first 5 services would cost.  Figuring in the padding for service, they are making money on most sales, as the majority of the bikes sold probably don't go over 30K before trading in.  When I negotiated the deal on the CVO, we were on our third counteroffer, the numbers were OK as far as I was concerned, but I asked for a bit more.  They threw in the service plan.  They know how I ride, so they went into this with eyes open.  I was halfway afraid that they would start pencil whipping my services (just fluid and filters and call it done), but so far they have done right.  Just gotta keep an eye on them.
Spada84
NoSofa!

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
Re: Stripped Primary Drain Plug
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

Sounds like a happy ending and the dealer took care of you.   ;D
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.