Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chrome spokes for a 2003 Road King  (Read 2539 times)

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
chrome spokes for a 2003 Road King
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

Would it be more cost effective to buy chrome spokes and have my factory 16" 40 spoke wheels relaced or by a replacement rim.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: chrome spokes for a 2003 Road King
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »

Would it be more cost effective to buy chrome spokes and have my factory 16" 40 spoke wheels relaced or by a replacement rim.

Depends on a couple of things I can think of off the top of my head.

1.  Most importantly, have you removed the tire and rim band and closely inspected the actual rim for corrosion and wear issues?  Especially check out the area where the spokes seat to the rim, as that has been an area of concern on Harley wheels in the past. 

2.  Are you capable of lacing a wheel yourself?  You might find it harder than you think to find someone who can do it properly if you can't do it yourself.  Trust me, it isn't as easy as some may think.

If the rim is marginal and you don't have confidence in lacing the wheel or finding someone fully qualified to do so, buying a new wheel assembly might be your best choice even if it is slightly more expensive.  Have you done any price checks for a replacement rim and replacement spokes versus a wheel assembly?  Harley MSRP for the stock front wheel is around $346 for instance, and the rim alone runs about $150.  Not sure what a set of chromed spokes goes for these days. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »

You may want to consider polished stainless steel spokes...no issues with rust where the spokes rub together. 

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

Stay away from the chrome, go with high quality polished stainless. I put them in my 01 RK in 2001, I know the guy who still owns it and they are still shiny, chrome, no matter how much care you take of them rusts around the threads and look like crap in a short amount of time.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »

mitchc.smith, I put polished stainless steel "Diamond Spokes" on the front wheel of my 95 Heritage over ten years ago and they still look great. I don't know why they call them diamond spokes because they are actually small cylindrical bumps, but when clean and in the sun they throw off a sparkle like you wouldn't believe. Some of my friends have done twisted spokes and they look good also. Don't ask me the price, but it wasn't that much especially when you have it done the same time you replace your tires. On the other hand you could put some sort of polished mag wheel on there and then you wouldn't have to deal with a tube anymore. I hope this picture comes out good enough. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.