Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Stange Knocking  (Read 3911 times)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Stange Knocking
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »

Mmmm, Uhhhh, Ohhhh!

I know the head mechanic at a local dealer who is now starting his own business and said he would install cams, pushrods, lifters etc.. for $200.00 labor (Parts not included)

Should I just go ahead and put new cams (possibly Woods 777's), good adjustable pushrods and good lifters in the dang thing before something really goes bad?

With patrs and labor I'm guessing around $600-$700. That does not include a tune but he has a map for my setup.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Stange Knocking
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »

Mmmm, Uhhhh, Ohhhh!

I know the head mechanic at a local dealer who is now starting his own business and said he would install cams, pushrods, lifters etc.. for $200.00 labor (Parts not included)

Should I just go ahead and put new cams (possibly Woods 777's), good adjustable pushrods and good lifters in the dang thing before something really goes bad?

With patrs and labor I'm guessing around $600-$700. That does not include a tune but he has a map for my setup.

I'd recommend you address this in two distinct stages.  First, the bike is in warranty so get it to the dealer for diagnosis.  If you have some serious stuff going on in there, you may find, like many others have, that it isn't a simple case of replacing a couple lifters and the cams.  Failures in those parts have been known to trash the engine, and you don't want to muddy the waters by having an independent stuck in the middle of the situation.  Second, once the problem has been corrected on Harley's dime, then you can look at changing cams or whatever else you want to do. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.