Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can V-Tune work...  (Read 739 times)

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
Can V-Tune work...
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »

About a year ago, I had Vance and Hines 2-1-2 Power Duals with High Output slip-ons installed my 2011 FLHTCUSE6 and then  dyno-tuned.  I have the TTS.   Bike runs ok, but that exhaust was was just not for me.  I have since switched to an RB Racing Pro-Stock Spyder.  I really like the look and sound of this pipe.

What I am wondering is my tune is probably off a bit with this change.  Will the CPU adjust for this?  Or shall I run a few V-Tune sessions?  If so, can I use the currently loaded dyno-tune map or should I load a different base map.  I have never done a V-Tune on a bike. I've read the manual, on-line content and it seems pretty straight forward.  But without ever doing one, don't know if I'd screw it up.

I have not ridden the bike yet as I am recovering from spine surgery.  However, I'll be ready to hop about in a few more days.

I'd really like the bike to run its best.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gearheadfmc

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Can V-Tune work...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »

I had Vance and Hines 2-1-2 Power Duals ... I have since switched to an RB Racing Pro-Stock Spyder...

What I am wondering is my tune is probably off a bit with this change.

Agreed.

Will the CPU adjust for this?  Or shall I run a few V-Tune sessions?

The CPU's mechanism has a limited range of adjustment and only about 1/10 as many locations as the VE tables for coverage of the operational range of the engine.  It will try to adjust for your change but even if it doesn't run out of headroom in any given area the coverage will be nowhere near as complete as would re-adjusting the VE tables directly.  Running a few v-tune sessions will (usually/mostly) get the VE tables set to where they need to be and this will have the added benefit of leaving the self-adjustment capabilities nicely centered in their range most everywhere.

The adjustment mechanism is not intended for correction against alternate engine breathing parts anyway.  It's more for adapting to such things as fuel composition changes, fuel pressure changes over time, injector behavior changes over time, etc.  To give it its best chance of doing what it's there for, you want it to start out nicely centered in its range everywhere and a good v-tune regimen will do that nicely.

So, YES, you'll do well to run a few good v-tune sessions with the new parts installed.

If so, can I use the currently loaded dyno-tune map or should I load a different base map.  I have never done a V-Tune on a bike. I've read the manual, on-line content and it seems pretty straight forward.  But without ever doing one, don't know if I'd screw it up.

Using a properly set up copy of what's already in the ECM would be a great place to start.

Follow the instructions and operate the motorcycle in as comprehensive and deliberate a manner as you can.  You'll be okay, I'm sure, and if you run into any snags you've got a great resource right here upon which you can rely for help.

I have not ridden the bike yet as I am recovering from spine surgery.  However, I'll be ready to hop about in a few more days.

I'd really like the bike to run its best.  Any input would be appreciated.

Congratulations on the success of your surgery.  You will get the bike to run its best, at the least in the areas you normally operate it, and will be able to take pride in taking care of it yourself.

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
Re: Can V-Tune work...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »

Thanks Glens....

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.