Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hi, What is the rake for a FXR2 .  (Read 11443 times)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
Hi, What is the rake for a FXR2 .
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:09:10 AM »

Hello, Could anyone tell me the Rake for a 99 FRX2? Are the FXR3 andd FXR4 have a different Rake? Also. is the frame(FXR2, FXR3, FXR4) tha same as the Dyna Wide Glide? Thanks for the help, George.

SPIDERMAN

Re: Hi, What is the rake for a FXR2 .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »

Hello, Could anyone tell me the Rake for a 99 FRX2? Are the FXR3 and FXR4 have a different Rake? Also. is the frame(FXR2, FXR3, FXR4) The same as the Dyna Wide Glide? Thanks for the help, George.

First off, I am pretty sure all FXR's which shared a frame common only to the FXR line were raked to 32 degrees. Harley-Davidson built the FXR 2.3 & 4 with stock FXR frames just as all of their CVO lineup share a common frame with their non CVO brethren. The FXR frame was unique and not well liked in the first couple of years of production (shovelhead motors) due to the fact that it is a "box" frame, somewhat similar in nature to the frames coming out of Nippon on those days. However, after a very short time, people began to realize how stiff the frame was and how that stiffness translated into better handling. Nowadays, the FXR frame is considered by most H-D aficionados to be the best frame every made. There were however labor and material intensive. One of the reasons the FXR model was discontinued and the Dyna was born was cost efficiencies were realized on the production line with the Dyna's that couldn't be on the FXR. The CVO FXR2, FXR3, & FXR4 were two things. First off a way to empty H-D's inventory of FXR parts and 2nd, a tribute to the enduring love of those who would ride no other Harley save for an FXR.

The Dyna frames are much like an FXR frame but not so similar you could strip a Dyna and rebirth it on an FXR frame. To Dyna lovers they are cleaner looking especially in the steering head (neck) area. However, the frames are not as stiff and there was some resistance to the Dyna lineup in the beginning; as there is with most things H-D. As a group, Harley owners are always clamoring for change but resist it when it comes.

So far as I know, all of the wide glide models were raked to 33 degrees.

B B

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:19:11 AM »

Hi, Thanks for your expertise, But I'm till not sure what the rake/trail is. Is it 33degrees? If so, that should make it harder to handle i believe. Please help me to clearfy my thoughts/feelings abouy this issue. Thanks in advance, George.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »

Hi, Thanks for your expertise, But I'm till not sure what the rake/trail is. Is it 33degrees? If so, that should make it harder to handle i believe. Please help me to clearfy my thoughts/feelings abouy this issue. Thanks in advance, George.

You are correct, as rake increases, agility decreases, but straightline stability increasesand vice versa Most H-D big baggers are 28 degrees however they have more trail which is another matter and - - - - - ok, I'm getting off track here

If you have an FXR, you have 32 degrees of rake and no, that is not so much as to adversely affect your handling. As I said previously, the FXR's are beloved for their handling characteristics. There was much more to their frame geometry which made them the best handling H-D's ever (other than Buell's) than just the amount of rake

B B

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »

Thanks Again! I'm really having a hard time finding the responses. You have been very helpful. TY, George

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »

Thanks Again! I'm really having a hard time finding the responses. You have been very helpful. TY, George

May I ask why you are concerned about this ?

B B

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »

First off, I am pretty sure all FXR's which shared a frame common only to the FXR line were raked to 32 degrees.

Hi, Thanks for your expertise, But I'm till not sure what the rake/trail is. Is it 33degrees?

If you have an FXR, you have 32 degrees of rake

Just to clear this up, according to a 1999 FXR2 sales brochure, the rake was 31 degrees.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »

Just to clear this up, according to a 1999 FXR2 sales brochure, the rake was 31 degrees.

Thanks Red, I said I thought. I wasn't really willing to stake my life on it but I knew it was less than a wide glide, which is 33 but more than 30. I used to cut the neck, put in a 1/2" wedge and weld gussets over the whole thing. I'd end up with 36 degrees which meant adding 2 inches to the fork tubes for a level ride. Made the bike track really sweet at highway speeds and really didn't hurt the slow speed handling all that much. Of course I had Progressive suspension front and rear on every FXR I built or owned.

B B

Still would like to know why gflvette2 wants to know.

B B

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:08:35 PM »

Hello, B B, I was inquiring because I can get either the FXR2 or the FXR3. I like the front wheel on the FXR3 but I think it's 21". I was told to stick to the 19"(spoke) wheel for better handling. I have a 2005 FLHTCUI and I don't know if I would like a longer rake. I know that turning at slow speed is harder to make with a longer forks(rake). I have owned a '73 Sporty,'89 Heritage Softail, '98 FLHT, 2002 Road King Classic and presently a 2005 FLHTCUI. I'm not sure if I could get use to riding a bike with a bigger rake. I love the FRX2/3 and trying to find out as much info before I go for it.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:12:32 PM »

Hello, B B, I was inquiring because I can get either the FXR2 or the FXR3. I like the front wheel on the FXR3 but I think it's 21". I was told to stick to the 19"(spoke) wheel for better handling. I have a 2005 FLHTCUI and I don't know if I would like a longer rake. I know that turning at slow speed is harder to make with a longer forks(rake). I have owned a '73 Sporty,'89 Heritage Softail, '98 FLHT, 2002 Road King Classic and presently a 2005 FLHTCUI. I'm not sure if I could get use to riding a bike with a bigger rake. I love the FRX2/3 and trying to find out as much info before I go for it.

I suggest you solve the problem by riding the bike. I believe you will fall in love with the handling

B B

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 11:19:59 PM »

I'll be trying it tomorrow. TY, George

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »

I like the front wheel on the FXR3 but I think it's 21". I was told to stick to the 19"(spoke) wheel for better handling.

The FXR2 came with a 21" spoked front wheel.  The FXR3 came with a 19" cast alloy (HD Thunderstar model) front wheel.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

I'll be trying it tomorrow. TY, George

Now you're cookin with gas 

Good luck   :2vrolijk_21:

B B

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:26 AM »

Here is a project I did on my 1999 FXR2 changing from a 21" front wheel and tire to a 19" front wheel and tire....

CLICK HERE:

FXR2 REPLACEMENT OF 21" FRONT WHEEL TO 19" FRONT WHEEL & ATTACHMENT OF SADDLEBAG

Regards,

"FXR2evo99"

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:02:47 AM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »

Early FXR and FXLR has 31 degree rake. The Lowriders and others have a 29 degree frame rake Including the FXR2/3/4
lank

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.