Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM "Y" Harness - Please Help !!  (Read 4178 times)

paprgod

• Ridin' Harleys for 33 of my 49 years.

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - Black & Blacker
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCU
    • CVO3: 1977 XLCR
XM "Y" Harness - Please Help !!
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »

Does anyone have a photo set or some more detailed instructions on making the "Y" harness to hook up the XM module on a 2012 SESG ??

I recently traded in a 2010 SESG for the 2012 and I removed the XM module, antenna and harness from the 2010 thinking I could just put it all on the 2012.  Felt very lame as soon as I opened the fairing up and found that there was no place to plug in the NUOH.  :confused5:

At this point, it seems to me that the simplest and best solution for me is to make and install the "Y" harness spoken of in this forum.  I will never install the NIM or a separate GPS, so all I need is the XM module up and running.

I've ordered the parts from the wiring diagram scan in this forum, but I'm an electrical cripple and I have no clue where to cut into what harness on the bike, how long the wires on this new harness should be, or how to insert the pins into the main plug.  For now, I have mounted the module next to the iPod module on top of the radio and I have the antenna plugged in and mounted, but this is the utmost in basic stuff to do.  :nixweiss:

I'm under the impression that when this harness is made and spliced into the wiring already on the bike, all I'll need to do is plug the XM module into the new plug on the harness I made and it will all be functional (iPod, XM and normal radio functions).  If that isn't true, I guess I need a lot more guidance than I've already asked for. 

I ride over 20,000 miles a year and I am a baseball addict and really rely on my XM for the games.

Please Help !!

Thanks,

PG
2012 FLHXSE3

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
Re: XM "Y" Harness - Please Help !!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

I just installed a XM module on a buddy's 2012 CVO SG yesterday. I used this wiring diagram. I basically wired into the Ipod harness rather than buy the extra plugs for a y harness. I had a extra 12 pin XM female plug from a older harness. I just ordered the 3 pins for the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio. I soldiered into the ipod harness and used heat shrink to seal the connections. Took maybe 10 minutes.....accomplished the same thing, just have to leave it on the bike.
And you will need a good pair of Crimpers for the 72381-98 and 74119-98bk pins. They have to be crimped perfectly to go into the connectors.

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MC93150/OPEN-BARREL-CRIMPING-TOOL/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:32:12 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

paprgod

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

Thanks GhostRider.

Lemme ask you - is that black module with the MTX number mounted on top of the head unit the iPod module?

How long do the wires need to be on the 12 pin plug for the XM unit?

I really appreciate this dude.
2012 FLHXSE3

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »

Thanks GhostRider.

Lemme ask you - is that black module with the MTX number mounted on top of the head unit the iPod module?

How long do the wires need to be on the 12 pin plug for the XM unit?

I really appreciate this dude.

I won't swear to it, but I am pretty sure the IPOD module on the '12 is in the saddlebag. The black box on top of the head unit should be the amp.

paprgod

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

I won't swear to it, but I am pretty sure the IPOD module on the '12 is in the saddlebag. The black box on top of the head unit should be the amp.

Oh crap.  I have no idea what I'm doing then.  Where do I cut into what harness that is on the bike?  Anyone?  Anyone??  Bueller???
2012 FLHXSE3

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »

Oh crap.  I have no idea what I'm doing then.  Where do I cut into what harness that is on the bike?  Anyone?  Anyone??  Bueller???

Hopefully someone who has done a '12 will chime in, but as far as I know only the position of the module changed.....check to see if you have the same color wires on the module in the bag as the diagram says....if so then those same wires should go into the radio and you could connect to them in the fairing. If the color of the wires changed....then I am wrong and you really need someone who has done this on a '12!

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »

You can just buy the ultra overlay harness and cut off everything that's not needed. Keeps things neat. This is what I did on my 2010 Road Glide Custom. Doing it this way, you do not need to cut into any wiring on the bike. It just plugs into the second connector on the back of the radio, into the XM module and into the interconnect harness (for power). 100% plug and play.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by CoyoteHTT »

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

Another view

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »

The black box is the amp. I should have taken picture I guess.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »

I made all the wires 6" long

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »

You can just buy the ultra overlay harness and cut off everything that's not needed. Keeps things neat. This is what I did on my 2010 Road Glide Custom. Doing it this way, you do not need to cut into any wiring on the bike. It just plugs into the second connector on the back of the radio, into the XM module and into the interconnect harness (for power). 100% plug and play.

Things were changed starting in 2011. He has an IPOD..and already has the 35 pin connector. Doing it that way would eliminate the IPOD wiring........he is better off splicing in to the existing wiring. He also does not have the 6B connector which plugs into the NUOH. The 2010 has that connector.

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 06:58:25 AM »

I just did the same thing a couple of days ago that you want to do (made the y harness).  I used parts from the NUOH that I took off of my 09 Street Glide and just transferred the xm module and the antenna to the 12 CVO SG.  The black box on top of the radio confused me also since it did not look like te pictures of the ipod module, had more wires than shown on the diagram in this thread and the colors of the wires were different.  Once you have your fairing off and you are looking at the bike head on from front to back, the black box is on the top left of the radio.  I mounted the xm module on the top right of the radio next to the black box (the amp) with velcro (I broke off the little tab for the mounting screw on the xm module to get it to fit where I wanted it to on my last bike).  As you are looking at the bike from the same direction, there is a socket that has the 7 ipod wires to the right side of the radio (I think it has a plug in it too, so it may be an 8 wire socket).  One end of that socket connection goes into the large radion wiring harness that is run above the radio.  The other end looks like it goes to the wiring channel that goes to the back of the bike.  I spliced the wires between that socket and the large wiring harness.  Did that by soldering.  Hope that helps.

paprgod

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

I just did the same thing a couple of days ago that you want to do (made the y harness).  I used parts from the NUOH that I took off of my 09 Street Glide and just transferred the xm module and the antenna to the 12 CVO SG.  The black box on top of the radio confused me also since it did not look like te pictures of the ipod module, had more wires than shown on the diagram in this thread and the colors of the wires were different.  Once you have your fairing off and you are looking at the bike head on from front to back, the black box is on the top left of the radio.  I mounted the xm module on the top right of the radio next to the black box (the amp) with velcro (I broke off the little tab for the mounting screw on the xm module to get it to fit where I wanted it to on my last bike).  As you are looking at the bike from the same direction, there is a socket that has the 7 ipod wires to the right side of the radio (I think it has a plug in it too, so it may be an 8 wire socket).  One end of that socket connection goes into the large radion wiring harness that is run above the radio.  The other end looks like it goes to the wiring channel that goes to the back of the bike.  I spliced the wires between that socket and the large wiring harness.  Did that by soldering.  Hope that helps.

That actually helps a lot.  I should be getting my pins tomorrow.  Maybe I can do this after all...
2012 FLHXSE3

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.