Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing head lights, does outer fairing need to come of?  (Read 1743 times)

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk

Been to Dealer with this questions . I was told they wanted 1 hour labor to replace light bulbs. One teck said fairing must be removed. I thought I read here that it could be done thru the front? Also any tips getting fairing back on radio hook if it needs to come off.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Replacing head lights, does outer fairing need to come of?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »

For the '09 SERG, to replace the headlight bulb, you will need to remove the outer fairing.  It is somewhat difficult until you get the hang of it.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:05:28 PM »

Remove all the bolts, from the front of the bike lift up. Be careful not to drop it on your fender. When putting it back on, I prefer to remove the headlight housing from the fairing so it's easier to get it on the hooks properly. Be sure you line up the tabs at the back of the fairing before you reinstall the screws. I've done this on the road in about 15 minutes, easy, once you get the hang of it.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »

Hey Thanks Bros,

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »

While you're in there, change out your speakers and add an amp. Just helping you spend some cash and you were in there anyway.... ;D
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »

I think you are able to remove the black headlight face plate, it has tabs at the top and the bottom.  If i remember correctly, you can get to the headlight screws from there and remove them.  I'm not 100% sure, I changed the bulbs on my 07 RG and if i remember correctly that's how I did it?  I'm sure someone can chime in and confirm that?  The fairing is a bugger to get back on to the bracket so it fits well.  My suggestion would be, do everything at once.  TRY NOT to remove the fairing any more than is absolutely necessary.  Unlike the batwing that has metal fittings, the RG does not and it's real easy to over tighten and strip the fittings.  If you happen to, get some resin, fill the holes and re-tap them.  As you can tell, I have had some experience screwing that one up.  I try not to ever remove my fairing, and if i do, i try and get everything done the first time!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.