Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mono Tubes - Life Expectency? = if this is a repeat topic - Sorry about that.  (Read 1520 times)

SckBstrd

• Biscuit Bandit
  • Full CVO Member
  • Twstdbtch & SckBstrd

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 - Inferno Orange
    • Picture

So just curious if anyone has talked about the LIFE EXPECTENCY of the Progessive Mono Tubes.
This topic came up in conversation and then again in a discussion thread when one of the members was providing a report on their recent upgrade.
The reports out there are very good regarding the performance.

What some of us are curious about is the question of "for how long" can we expect "that loving feeling"?

Again,
If this is a repeat topic; sorry to be redundant.

Looking forward to the comments.

and thanks for sharing your thoughts and information - (If you can, please provide references or citations for your information shared - Thank you)...

JJC
 :drummer:
J. Culler
Spokane, WA

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC

I think 30-40k and a limited lifetime warranty...whatever that means, I'd call and ask. If they crap out and they're willing to rebuild that'd be great and that'd be what I consider a lifetime warranty. However I'm sure they have a different definition. I'd call and ask just to see what their answer is.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06

I had issues with the set I put in the wife's  :pumpkin:. I had another set I was going to put in my FLTRSE3 so I pulled the set from the  :pumpkin: got a RMA # from Progressive. When I returned from vacation I had a new replacement set waiting for me.

On the first kits they did not protect the shaft during shipment and the spring could hit the shafts during shipment causing damage and would leak the charge in the cartridge.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

When I was debating what improvement to make to my front suspension I called Progressive with this question.  They told me 50k was the expected service life.  My recollection is that the cartridge cannot be rebuilt, just replaced.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SckBstrd

• Biscuit Bandit
  • Full CVO Member
  • Twstdbtch & SckBstrd

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 - Inferno Orange
    • Picture

Thanks for input Gang...
I am really just getting started on the search for suspension upgrades...  Trying to balance best result and "economics" if you know what I mean.
I believe there is a more expensive solution out there, but not sure the results out way the progressive system for performance / cost...

Certainly NOT trying to cheap out... just balancing the $$$.   Wish it grew on trees - or perhaps poured out of faucet someplace...  LOL.

thanks again,

JJC
 :drummer:
J. Culler
Spokane, WA

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach...a gas filled cartridge will definitely perform well, but if it leaks, you're hosed.  A cartridge that uses discs/valving and fork oil is perhaps less prone to a total failure over time, but does require servicing at regular intervals (every 25K + or -) just because the oil will "wear" over time and become a bit contaminated from bushing wear (HD part).

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges is the more expensive option that is not gas charged (they do produce a gas charged cartridge for racing applications).  My last conversation with Traxxion indicated that when they have torn down the forks on bikes with their cartridges installed to check for wear and to change the fork oil, there has been no measureable wear on their components.  They machine all components in house, so have total quality control.  Most of this information is on Gold Wings which they have done thousands of, as opposed to only hundreds of Harleys.

From reports here, it seems that if you list Traxxion as a 10 out of 10 with regards to performance, the monotubes come in at 7-8, depending on who you talk to that has the knowledge to compare the two.  I have no personal opinion on the Monotubes, as I have not ridden a bike with them installed...I'm just parroting what others have said.  I went with Traxxion because they are a known entity for me, as I had them on two other bikes previously...plus, I know the people at Traxxion are top notch folks, have a great product, and are relatively local to me (within 200 miles).   Having said that, I have never heard a bad report about Progressive's customer support.

IMO, there are really only three options on the table for a good front end...Traxxion, Progressive, and the new HD Touring Cartridges.  Changing springs, fork oil weight, emulators, etc.  will make improvements in some respects, but do not compare to a true cartridge system.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

Like Terry said, if the gas charged cartridge (Progressive monotube) should leak, well you're hosed.  And since I am not willing/able to do the install myself I'd be out the $$ to have a defective unit replaced.  While Progressive may warranty their part they do not cover the labor.  While premature failure may not be a huge issue I just did not want to chance it.  So I choose the new H-D Premium Ride Cartridge system for my '12.  Hard to compare it to the Traxxion on my '07 since we are talking old vs new style frame, etc.  But I can definitely say it is a huge improvement over stock and for the way I ride every bit as acceptable as the Traxxion at half the cost. :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold

I've got 20K on my Mono -Tubes and so far so good.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3

i have over 30k on the monotubes without a single problem.  :orange:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black

Like Terry said, if the gas charged cartridge (Progressive monotube) should leak, well you're hosed.  And since I am not willing/able to do the install myself I'd be out the $$ to have a defective unit replaced.  While Progressive may warranty their part they do not cover the labor.  While premature failure may not be a huge issue I just did not want to chance it.  So I choose the new H-D Premium Ride Cartridge system for my '12.  Hard to compare it to the Traxxion on my '07 since we are talking old vs new style frame, etc.  But I can definitely say it is a huge improvement over stock and for the way I ride every bit as acceptable as the Traxxion at half the cost. :2vrolijk_21:
So "if" the HD fails, they are covered P&L for how long? 
The "TAZMUN"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

So "if" the HD fails, they are covered P&L for how long?  

Good question.  I know the service parts warranty was extended from 90 days to a full year back around the first of the year, but I haven't seen anything that says they also cover the labor to replace the defective parts.  Perhaps one of the dealership employee's who frequent this site would like to consult the official warranty and policy manual and let us know. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

Good question.  I know the service parts warranty was extended from 90 days to a full year back around the first of the year, but I haven't seen anything that says they also cover the labor to replace the defective parts.  Perhaps one of the dealership employee's who frequent this site would like to consult the official warranty and policy manual and let us know. :nixweiss:
Jerry
I know my dealer would cover the labor for an H-D warrantied part they installed.  Not very worried about the H-D since not gas charged. 

IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 21 queries.