Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GPS Dash Mount help ...  (Read 2662 times)

darrellv

GPS Dash Mount help ...
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

Hello, I don't have a CVO but I'm interested in buying a Zumo 660 for my Ultra. I'm not sure if I want to buy and install the dash mount or not so I figured I'd post here on the CVO forum because you guys already have the Zumo dash mounted. And I figured you guys would know the most about it.

I'm curious if anyone of you guys had the older 550 on another bike with handle bar Ram and now the 660 with the dash mount. Now that you have rode with both do you like one style better than the other and if so why? I think the dash mount looks nice but curious about riding reading using it etc. over the Ram mount.

Thanks for any input on the matter darrellv67@gmail.com

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
Re: GPS Dash Mount help ...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »

I love the dash mount for the 660.  It's a nice clean streamlined mount, and less obtrusive imo than the ram mount.  It's not difficult to install yourself either.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »

I had, on my '08 and now on my '12 the HD clutch perch mount...I like it very much....except the mounting plate is too wide...I'm gonna make a better fitting one at work this tour. No drilling of the inner faring and totally removable when/if you sell/trade the bike.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775816&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309065645&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309065645&locale=en_CA&bmUID=1346362753294&bmLocale=en_CA
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:42:28 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:12:22 PM »

I had my 550 on the RAM mount, and converted it to the dash mount.  The '10s did not come with the GPS, so this is the one I had mounted on the '08.  I'll post a photo later this evening.

I like the dash mount MUCH better.
Spada84
NoSofa!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:17 AM »

My GPS is on the RAM clutch mount, and I've considered switching to a dash mount.  Why?  The dash mount would be closer to my line of vision, so I wouldn't have to look so far down and to the left; also, if it was a little farther away (on the dash), I think I could focus better on it.  Of course, I'm not sure it would all work out, but them's my thoughts.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Chipster

• Love to Ride
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »

Hmmmm.  I think I might be getting the HD run a round regarding the gps dash install.  Either this shop is unwilling to do the work because the are lazy or they do not know anything about CVO ultras. I have a 07 ultra that came with the outdated gps so I decided that I wanted to buy the dash mounted gps and keep the dash pad.  I have HD order all the parts and only thing they can't do is get the dash pad?  Now they are telling me I need to get a leather guy to do the mods?  How hard is it to do? They recommend this or go with a handle bar mount... Not what I want to do...  Suggestions?  Also installing lower speakers at the same time so want this done all at once..

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »

I put the dash mount on my 06 SEUC and love it.  I already have a cup holder on the bars and did not want to add another item to clutter things up.  I did buy the gps gas cap cover but why would i want to look down to see where I'm going!

I think if you do the dash mount you'll be extremely happy with it.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »

I used the dash mount with the 550 on my '09 SG (No dash pad), and loved having it there.....except for a couple issues.  1) I have a KlockWerks shield on my bike....and due to the aggressive flare, I couldn't mount the GPS cradle in the four holes provided on the dash mount.  I had to use the lower two holes, and even then, it was hard to get to the release lever on the cradle.  2) Since my GPS was mounted about 1" lower, it obstructed my view of the fuel gauge.....which, as it turns out...wasn't that big a deal since it doesn't read correctly anyway.

Eventually, I ended up getting a HogTunes Tweeter Pod, and moved the 550 over to the HD chrome clutch perch mount (76000191) which I think looks pretty good...much better than the old stamped steel part they used to sell.  Here is a picture of the mount I use:

I also upgraded to the 665, using the same mount.  But sometimes, I wish I had it back on the fairing just to put it up a bit higher and more toward the center.

When I bought my '12 SESG, I bought the same mount, and use that, but ran across a guy who had a hot citrus inner fairing that was drilled for the dash mount.  The dealer scrached the paint while drilling the holes, and replaced it free of charge, so he sold me the scratched fairing dirt cheap.  Problem is, I use a KlockWerks shield on this bike too, and I'm afraid it won't work with the GPS mounted in that position.  But I'm thinking the SEUC dash pad might move it out just enough to fit.

While searching for the part number of that handlebar mount I have, I ran across a good thread on this forum where Chicago-Spike swapped a new style dash pad with gps model onto his '09 SEUC, and he included part numbers for everything, so here you go:

1106            Screw
1107            Screw
7686            Locknuts (2)
92346-10        Mount  (accepts garmin cradle)
92466-10        Retainer  (goes inside fairing for support)
57885-10        Pad  (dashpad specific to cradle mount, already has holes)j

Here's a picture he posted of the parts (minus screws):

A pic of the final install:

and a link to his original thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=50057.0%3Ball

He really did a great job documenting the install with pictures.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.