Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas light comes on too early  (Read 1633 times)

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
Gas light comes on too early
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »

Guys the guys light on my wife's Krypto comes on with just under 2 gallons still in the tank.  Is there a way to adjust or reset the float or sending unit, whatever component is that sends the sig.  We always use the mileage to calculate how much gas there's left, but it's always nerve wrecking to have a warning light on. As always thanks for the help, Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Gas light comes on too early
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »

Maybe it has a 5 gallon tank reserve light. :huepfenlol2: Mine comes on early every once and awhile. Hope you get it  figured out.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »

Yes there is, check with your dealer especially if you are under warranty. When I installed the flush mounted caps on my 07 Road King it was off about the same amount as your wifes. I took it in and they made the adjustment and it worked fine after that. Coming on with about a gallon left.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

Maybe it has a 5 gallon tank reserve light. :huepfenlol2: Mine comes on early every once and awhile. Hope you get it  figured out.
That was my first thought, so I trouble shoot it :nixweiss:.  Nope, 6 gallons.  You ding dong, I love it  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »

Yes there is, check with your dealer especially if you are under warranty. When I installed the flush mounted caps on my 07 Road King it was off about the same amount as your wife's. I took it in and they made the adjustment and it worked fine after that. Coming on with about a gallon left.
   Talked to them last week and they said the light is suppose to come on between 1.2 & 1.7 gal. left.  So hers is at the high end of that scale for sure.  Today they said they could get in there and "bend" the float rod, the only thing is there's not and exact scale so when they do it it could be too much then it would be a late warning.  So I said well $hit, I'll do it and play with it a bit and get it done.  We will see what happens.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »

Typical answer from HD. They could fix it they just don't want to...
Bill

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »

My street glide is very close to the same. I don't worry about it. I use the trip meter any way.
To each their own.
Ought to to see how bad a wide glide is. It comes on between 2 to 2.2 gallons early. It only has a 5 gallon tank.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

Gabe, see if this info helps you:

...  Harley doesn't have an adjustment method in their manual; there is no simple screw to turn or electronic tweak with their computer that will adjust the reading of the gauge.  But that does not mean there is no way to do it, it just means Harley won't pay them to do it.

BTW Mark, did your guy actually test your gauge with the Harley tester and the shop manual diagnostic routine, or did he just blow you off like most do as soon as you mentioned the gauge?  There are tests, and there are specs for the resistance of the sending unit at both Full and Empty positions.  If the gauge or the sending unit doesn't pass the tests, Harley prescribes replacement of the part.  The problem with this is that the tolerances for the parts, especially the sending unit, are so wide that you can have a gauge that reads anywhere from below E to nearly 1/4 tank with a supposedly good sending unit and no gas in the tank.  That is not acceptable, but if you take your complaint directly to Harley and they still refuse to do anything about it, you can fix it yourself (or pay someone to do so).  The sending unit is a simple device with a float attached to a variable resistor by way of a rod.  It's a fairly simple but time consuming trial and error operation to slightly bend the float rod so that the gauge reads accurately at the Empty end of the scale. 
Jerry

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.