Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Careful with S100  (Read 3360 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Careful with S100
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

I have used in the past (prior to the CVO) with no issues. Used it on the SEEG some time ago and never put 2 & 2 together that the S may have damaged the finish on my derby cover.

My custom engraved derby. The coloring is actually only a "candy" and not a full finish paint process. Came out good, I liked the way you can see through it and it changes color with the amount of light reflected.
Anyway, it looked like this new:

After a few S-100 applications it started to craze.

The engraver refinished my covers at no charge 4 years ago

I had forgotten about he S-100 and when I got home from MV I wanted something that I could do in the short term to get the bike partially cleaned and de-bugged.

So now I get to once again send my covers out to be refinished.

Like oven cleaner - test in a small inconspicuous spot first.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Careful with S100
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

Really caustic stuff, no use...ever.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »

As a fireman I love the cover..
Bill

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »

Thanks for the warning. 

Which S100 product did you use?  Was it designed to be used in the manner applied?  They tout themselves as a line of motorcycle cleaning products, so I'd bet they would be very interested in seeing your pictures.

Was the discoloration on the chrome in the second picture a result of use too, or was it just wet?  In the picture it's hard to tell if it is staining from hard water, wet or damaged from using a caustic product.  After all you've put into it, I'd file a claim with the manufacturer, if the product was used as intended.  This kind of damage should not result from a cleaning/polishing product.  Did it actually bubble up on the surface, or is that an illusion?

If it were my bike, I'd be after the maker of the product.

BTW:  Thanks for serving your community!   :2vrolijk_21:

Best,
Ken
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:43:09 PM »

I use to use it all the time and finally gave it up because of how easily it would damage if not completely rinsed off in a hurry.  Great cleaner for a greasy bike, just need to be quick/careful and thoroughly rinse until you can feel NO surface residue.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »

Which S100 product did you use?

For the pictures above that was S100 Total Cycle cleaner, 2 maybe 3 applications over the summer.
http://www.s100.com/s100_tcc.htm

This particular time I used S100 Engine Brightener, trying to clean up some oil stains. My derby is currently not as in bad shape as pictured above, but it is showing the beginning stage of degrading.

Was it designed to be used in the manner applied?  

Yes, spray on - rinse off

Was the discoloration on the chrome in the second picture a result of use too, or was it just wet?  In the picture it's hard to tell if it is staining from hard water, wet or damaged from using a caustic product.  

The second picture was with the bike sitting during a wicked thunderstorm that blew through while washing. So those are just water spots. No problems with the chrome or any of the other surfaces that I could see.

Did it actually bubble up on the surface, or is that an illusion?

3rd picture? Those were discolored spots that eventually disappeared only to be replaced with the entire colored surface then crazing.

BTW:  Thanks for serving your community!   :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks

This is what it is supposed to look like. This shot is actually after the color was replaced the first time.
The marks you see through the red are the mill marks from the engraving.

MV 2013

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »

Maybe have it sprayed with clear?

In the Picture it looks like a gold tint present.......How about adding gold leaf?

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »

Key Keats - when you gonna sell me that trailer you beat me too?

Maybe have it sprayed with clear?

In the Picture it looks like a gold tint present.......How about adding gold leaf?

This cover is already off the bike for other repairs, so it will be sent back to the vendor to be re-done - again.

No gold tint present. The red is actually just a candy coating. We knew when originally doing this that there may be future issues since this is not meant to be a top coat or a filler as is used here.
But both the vendor and I thought it would be interesting to try. Neither of us thought clear over it would give the same result.

With it being a clear red the shade changes as you move around and it fairly well matches the two different cherry shades, depending on the lighting.

As for adding gold. Traditional fire stuff called for gold leaf (wasteful $$$ if you ask me) but I didn't want  a traditional cover. And if someone so desired, these are now being made with a some "gold" added to he finish.

MV 2013

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.