Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installation of lifters  (Read 2155 times)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Installation of lifters
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »

I'm changing my lifters @30,000 miles for piece of mind. I'm using S&S without the limiters. My question is.... does it matter which direction the hole (looks like a drain hole) in the upper side of lifter goes? I don't see anything in the Harley Service manual on it. Thanks in advance.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: Installation of lifters
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »

I'm changing my lifters @30,000 miles for piece of mind. I'm using S&S without the limiters. My question is.... does it matter which direction the hole (looks like a drain hole) in the upper side of lifter goes? I don't see anything in the Harley Service manual on it. Thanks in advance.

On Twin Cam it does not matter because if you look at where the oil comes into feed the lifter from the case, no matter which way you install the lifter it's not a direct shot into the lifter - rather it surrounds the lifter.

On EVO, you want to install with the hole facing the feed from the case.

When working with Twin Cam it's simply a good practice to install them all facing either in or out for reassembly reference.  If, however, an after-market company machined the lifter feed in a different location than OE and it was possible to face the feed, I would do that.

Trivia wise, I believe early TC88 manuals stated to have them face in as this was carry-over from EVO manuals.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:53:31 AM by Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
Re: Installation of lifters
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »

Thank You for the info. I changed the lifters today. A couple hour job, No big deal. Made a little noise when I first started it than quieted right down.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.