Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Have finally decided-little long -Updated  (Read 2216 times)

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
Re: Have finally decided-little long
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »

Jr. I only have the lowers installed as I am waiting for some new speaker grills that I ordered. You won't get much bass in any 6.5 speakers. That said there is some decent lows, at least in the garage. Once at speed that will be gone. As far as gas tank, it is very easy, 09 and later. Basically 4 bolts and a no tool coupler for the gas line.

How does that coupler come apart?  Got a pic?  I was thinking of putting in the 6x9 that Biketronix has for the rears.
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
Re: Have finally decided-little long -Updated
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »

Now that the install is just about complete, let me offer this update in the hope that it helps someone else with this decision on sound system and install.  Let me start by saying I am decent with a tool or two  but am no wrench by any means.  I hemmed and hawed about what to do for months. Rich (TIF2) acted as my sensei as he has done for many others, so a quick thanks to him.  However, I was very torn on what amp and speakers to use.  If he lived closer, well you know the rest.  What finally got me over the hump was when I read the posts by Sea Biscuit, cvostu and others.  I called the shop they used, Soundz Customz and spoke to Pete the owner.  He uses Focal 165KRC for the fairing and the lowers mated to the 2 channel Arc Audio amp.  I did not do the saddle bags due to lack of available speakers and the fact that it would make the install much more complex (see Rich's posts) and beyond my ability.  I also did not put tweeters in the stock holes in the fairing.  The Focals are coaxial thus a tweeter is in the speakers.  At some point I may add those, but not sure if it would be worth it.  Soundz Customz also made a custom harness which really did make this plug and play. I did not cut any wires at all.  I used the stock HD speaker grills in the lowers as I wanted a stock look.  The HD logo covers the tweeter, but I am guessing that I am not hearing those highs anyway at speed so it probably doesn’t matter.  Please chime in if you have a different opinion or idea.  For the fairing I have ordered from Hawg Wired their speaker grills.  They look like stock so that should be good.  Rich did tell me that you can take apart the stock grill from the speaker and use those but I had already ordered the pair from HW. 

Now the install.  Quite frankly I was a little nervous about taking the bike apart.  For others, don’t be.  It is quite easy.  I really took my time and I mean it.  With the cold weather riding is limited so I didn’t have that on my mind.  Fairing on the Street Glide is a breeze to take off.  Total of 7 screws I believe.  Unsnap the headlight and you are done.  I then took off the gas tank.  4 bolts and then you take off the gas line which is a coupler.  You simply push up on the ring and gently pull off the gas line.  You also have to disconnect the vent tubing and 2 connections for the LED and gas gauge.  If you can, have as little as gas in the tank as possible.  The extra liquid makes the tank a lot heavier but also more awkward to lift off and carry around.  I was down to very little.  Of curse make sure you wrap these parts in a soft towel or blanket and put in a safe place.  I also started labeling all the bolts as I took them off.  I used some masking tape with a black marker.  I did the same as I disconnected any wires, just in case.  At this point I made my only boo boo which set me back a little.  The vent tubing line connects at the top of the gas tank.  It then runs the length of the frame on the left and comes out down near the passenger peg.  I inadvertently pulled on it and it came out of its place.  Because there is tension on the tubing it sprang out in such a way that I could not figure out how it went back in.  I called a HD service tech and he explained it to me.  Basically there are two zip ties that are on the frame where the tube runs through.  Again, quite simple once you know the answer.  Once tank is off you can pop off the plastic cover that houses all the wires.  If you are thinking, do I really need to take the tank off, yes you do.  You have to run a new power line from the amp to the battery.   There is no way to do this cleanly and professionally if you don’t take the tank off.  The wire fits neatly in this tunnel and I had no issue closing it back up.

I also removed the stock amp for the Boom audio system that comes standard on the CVO's.  It is attached by two torx bolts on top of the radio. Simply unplug the harness and remove.  I cleaned the surface with some alcohol and attached the Arc Audio amp there with Velcro.  Seems to be very secure. 

Installing the speakers in the lowers were pretty easy as well.  The only challenge is that like most I did not want to cut any wires.  I found in another post that I would need a male Delphi connector to mate into the existing one that came with bike.  I soldered the speaker wires to metal inserts and plugged the two halves together…and it actually worked.  As I mentioned I used the stock grills.  The holes of the grill lined up perfectly with the speaker holes.  Done!!  All I am waiting for are the speaker grills for the fairing.  The wires for those come off of the amp so it is simply attaching 2 wires to the tweeter portion and the other 2 to the woofer.  I have turned it on to hear how it sounds.  Even with only 2 speakers it is very loud and very clear.  There is some bass, but not the real deep tones.  However, Van Halen and others sound great.  Hopefully by weekend it will be all done.  I hope that this helps give someone else the confidence to tackle this. Without Rich and other members of this forum I never would have tried.  Ride safe all.

Ted

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

Re: Have finally decided-little long
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »

How does that coupler come apart?  Got a pic?  I was thinking of putting in the 6x9 that Biketronix has for the rears.

It is under the tank on the left side.  You basically push up on the metal part and at the same time gently pull down on the tube.  pushing up on the metal ring releases the tube

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »

Why didnt you just use the stock speaker grills as you used the lowers

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »

Why didnt you just use the stock speaker grills as you used the lowers

yeah what he said :2vrolijk_21:
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »

I thought the stock lower grills are part of the speaker.  I have the focal grills place over my speakers in the lowers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:21:05 PM by cvostu »

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »

Yes, the stock grills are part of speaker. You can separate them but the tweeter is also part of the grill. For $20 I got new grills. After I spent so much the twenty wasn't going to kill me. I got them installed tonight and they look good. Very happy with sound. Very loud. I used a sound meter before and after install. With the Boom the meter hovered at around 106db before it started to distort. The Focals make the meter jump to 114db with room to go. I had to stop as my ears were hurting.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »

thats really good,,  i might look into the hd grills?  they are sold separately without the tweeter attached?  what is the part number for those grills?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »

:worthless:

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:33 AM »

thats really good,,  i might look into the hd grills?  they are sold separately without the tweeter attached?  what is the part number for those grills?

Part number UG5252.  Here is the link from the Hawg Wired site

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=97

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »

Seems to be some confusion in this thread over using the stock grills.

I have the stock grills in my fairing ... no problems. All that is needed is to separate the mesh (the actual grill) and re-attach to the 6.5" adapters.
I replaced the grills in the lowers purely for aesthetics. I could have easily used the stock grills - I just chose not to.

I like the look of the stock grills ( on the 2011/2012 SESG) in the fairing, but you can also use ones that are available from Hawg Wired or Biketronics.
If you get the 6.5" adapters from Biketronics they will include the standard speaker grills if you ask for them.

Rock On!!!!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.