Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riding the Exxon Valdez  (Read 1243 times)

ScreaminBeagle

• Live to ride... Ride to eat
Riding the Exxon Valdez
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:28 PM »

I'm looking for input on a problem with my 04 SEEG. It has been at the dealer for a week waiting for HD tech support to respond to the service dept because the dealer is stumped.

Whenever the bike is accelerated to over about 4500 rpm it blows the oil cap off, oiling down the bike like crazy. This is the third trip to the dealer to solve this problem. They started with checking out the air cleaner breathers and found no problems there. Then they installed some S&S breathers in the motor thinking that would solve it, it didn't. Next they did a leak down test and a compression test and said that those tests came out within specs. So this time they dissassembled the motor hoping to find something. They said the motor looks perfect inside, no cylinder scoring, no ring gap problem, no broken rings, nothing. they even said that the burn pattern on the piston tops looked perfect.

So it sits waiting for HD tech support to tell them where to look next. I should also point out that there isn't any signs of excessive blowby coming from the air cleaner housing, just too much pressure in the oil tank popping off the cap.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ken
2004 Orange/Black Screamin Glide
Rineharts, SE a/c, XM,
King Pak, Quad Speakers, MP3,
Hogtunes, 440's

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Riding the Exxon Valdez
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:54:45 PM »

Seems to me I recall oil pump alignment being a possible cause for this. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Hopefully, someone with more knowledge/expertise will confirm or deny.

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 01:01:42 AM »

Some bikes will do this if you put 4 quarts of oil in them, but be fine if you run 1/2 quart less.

~John

SE-Dave

• Full CVO Member
  • "AWESOME"
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:29:25 AM »

I agree with John [smiley=beerchug.gif] I have experienced this in the past wit a heritage and a roadking...... "Overfill"   [smiley=beerchug.gif] Dave

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »

if they have not dumped the oil at this stage - have them check it as last 2 posts have reccommended - they are dead nuts on - have the dealer hang up the phone with tech services - put er all back together and bring to proper oil level - then send to the steam clean bay and hose the Valdez off with a wash/detail and go drive er

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »

I don't understand why you would think that it's ok to ride a bike 1/2 qt. low in oil with the resulting higher heat factor in the oil cooled engine if it was designed to have the additional 1/2 quart in the first place.  If most of the other engines just like it don't have the problem, then why run this one a half quart low instead of determing what the real reason for the oil pressure problem could be.....??????   [smiley=confused5.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 01:06:19 AM »

I don't understand why you would think that it's ok to ride a bike 1/2 qt. low in oil with the resulting higher heat factor in the oil cooled engine if it was designed to have the additional 1/2 quart in the first place.  If most of the other engines just like it don't have the problem, then why run this one a half quart low instead of determing what the real reason for the oil pressure problem could be.....??????   [smiley=confused5.gif]  spyder

Spyder I completely agree with you that it doesn't sound like the ideal solution.  In both car and bike motors over the years though every once in awhile I've run in to a mill that just didn't leave the choice up to you.  

I've never had that would blow it's top as is being described here.  But have had some whose "happy place" was about a half quart low.  If you filled it to the full mark it would lose/use/whatever a 1/2 quart within the first few hundred miles.  And then stay at a half quart low until the oil was changed again.

Don't know whether it might have been a bad machining somewhere inside that simply occupied a bit more space, an engine breathing issue that raised crankcase pressure just a bit, or what.  But have had a couple of bikes over the years that just didn't like to run with oil at the full mark on the dipstick (but still ran fine).  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

ScreaminBeagle

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »

Thanks to all for the responses. I have, over the course of this problem, tried reducing the oil by at least a half quart with no apparant change. I tend to agree with Spydglide and 2lane that this is a less than ideal solution. Where I live it is not uncommon to ride in triple digit temps and that 103 gets HOT!

I just spoke to the dealer again and apparantly HD tech has returned their call and all they could tell me at this time (service Mgr at lunch) was that they were putting it back together today. When I know more I will repost.
Rineharts, SE a/c, XM,
Hogtunes, 440's

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 03:23:23 PM »

ScreaminBeagle,

I have seen /had this problem with a bad oil filter as well as when some T'd off my 124 motor front and rear cyclinder causing sump / pressure issues.  front cylinder is a vacuum and rear is a breather line.  The shop believed both were breathers.    Ugly hot, wet, dirty lesson learned.   I no longer use this shop :)

I / we have seen this problem arise from HD and Bikers Choice oil filters.   I would recommend trying a different or another oil filter  $12-$15 dollar fix might also help when you do this that you will be a little lower on oil or you can also try 3 1/2 quarts of oil.   May want the dealer to check your sumping / crank case pressure.  

Are you sure that oil is flowing from both breathers and isnt blocked for some ungodly reason?

Letting a little oil out as a first check is prolly the easiest if this doesnt work and you still have the issue I would try a different oil filter.   Also for future reference might want to try a S&S reed valve if your going to have to go into the compartment anyhow its a 100 add in.

If you try the S&S reed valve remember its not compatible with the Fueling oil pump / lifters.

Hope you resolve it soon.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ScreaminBeagle

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 04:13:08 PM »

Unbalanced, I have to admit that I haven't done any of the services on this bike myself, too many years of doing it and I'm just getting lazy these days. All of the scheduled maintenance has been done by my HD dealer. So the filters are HD parts. Also this problem has persisted over the course of 3 oil changes.

I have checked out the air cleaner breathers and they appeared to be working based on what I would consider normal oil residue on the ends of both tubes. The SE air cleaner set-up does seem more restrictive that the stock air cleaner set-up, but the dealer checked it out and said there were no apparent problems and that the SE set-up works fine on all bikes thay have ever put them on. I still suspect it though. [smiley=confused5.gif]

The S&S reed valve breathers were installed on my last visit to the dealer becuase thay felt that this fix would solve the issue. All that happened was the motor now make a new annoying upper cylinder noise, but I am still littering the highway with oil and oil caps.

Ken
Rineharts, SE a/c, XM,
Hogtunes, 440's

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 04:29:49 PM »

Screamin,

I suggest trying less oil and another brand of filter or another harley filter from a different shop.   If nothing else your ruling out stuff one by one.   By the way is that a new oil cap by chance also.    If not have you tried a new one?   The seals could be worn from being taken on and off.    

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ScreaminBeagle

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 04:36:24 PM »

Unbalanced, Yeah it's a new digital one. None of them have had a chance to get old, half of the time when she blows, the oil cap is gone. I've gotten used to carrying a spare in my tour pack, how sad is that?
Rineharts, SE a/c, XM,
Hogtunes, 440's

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 05:01:40 PM »

Unbalanced, Yeah it's a new digital one. None of them have had a chance to get old, half of the time when she blows, the oil cap is gone. I've gotten used to carrying a spare in my tour pack, how sad is that?

Is it only the digital dipsticks that have blown out?  Other's have had some trouble with those as well.

ScreaminBeagle

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 05:26:01 PM »

2Lane, No, the first two were the standard units. The current one has actually faired better because of the built in need to turn the cap to get it to release. It only pops up about an inch and actually stays on the bike but still allows a significant amout of oil to cover the right side of the bike.

I just got off of the phone with the dealer, he said that HD tech was unable to give them any areas to check beyond what they have already done. Superb! They did, however, find a bad rocker arm and pushrod that was most likely the noise that I was hearing and they are replacing them. So now they are putting the bike together and they are going to road test it to see if it will blow the cap again, my money is on yes.

So the saga continues...
Rineharts, SE a/c, XM,
Hogtunes, 440's

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 05:32:37 PM »

Good luck Beagle.  Guess you can only hope that a) either they fixed some small problem that kept the crankcase from breathing as it should without recognizing the problem as they disassembled it or b) they actually found something but just don't want ot fess up to what the mistake or error was.  Hope it's fixed.  Will cross all the appropriate fingers and toes.

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.