Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powder Coating flaking any one else?  (Read 4648 times)

REDEYE

Powder Coating flaking any one else?
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »

On my 2011 SERGU the powder coating is beginning to flake off on my oil filter mount. I first reported this to my dealer in August 2012, they took some pictures and said they would forward to MOCO and open a warranty case.He said that this was definitely a warranty issue and that they would be replacing my engine cases.  After several weeks I stopped by to check on progress and the service scheduler that I was working with was no longer employed there. The service Manager asked if I could take some photos and email them to him and he would open a case with MOCO. He had the pics within an hour. Three more weeks went by and I still had hear nothing so I replied to the last email that I had from the service manager and received a response saying that the service manager that I had been working with no longer worked there either but was assured that the new one would get right on it. Later that day the new service mgr said that "Harley Davidson sent us the touch up chemical paint to repair this issue". and encouraged me to schedule an appt. I replied that touch up paint was unacceptable.
 He replied back "on any normal condition I would agree with you, I can only perform the warranty repairs that HD tech support authorizes me to do."

have others had issues like this and how were they resolved?
Am I being to picky in expecting my $38,000 plus motorcycle to be correct?
and No I do not presssure wash it.

Extremely frustrated

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
Re: Powder Coating flaking any one else?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »

redeye,
I know you as a consumer get better response from the MOCO than the dealership does if the proposed solution is not satisfactory for you.  There is an 800 number to call and voice your concern calmly letting them know of the number of times you have been trying to get this corrected and it is getting worse...good luck
 :2vrolijk_21:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

REDEYE

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »

redeye,
I know you as a consumer get better response from the MOCO than the dealership does if the proposed solution is not satisfactory for you.  There is an 800 number to call and voice your concern calmly letting them know of the number of times you have been trying to get this corrected and it is getting worse...good luck
 :2vrolijk_21:
thanks and I will try that next, Thanks as well for the reminder about remaining calm, I have worked 20 plus years in a customer service field and understand.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »

Harley Davidson  Customer Service
Phone:   (414) 343-4056
Address:    Harley-Davidson Customer Service
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208
Website:   http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Utility/hd_contact_us.jsp?locale=en_US

Light up the area around your oil filter and take some good pictures of it. Call Harley and get a complaint number.  Tell them you want to send them an email showing the issue. They will send you an email to which you can reply and attach pictures.  I have found that polite persistence works well.  Good luck!! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »

your powder coating issue repair is what was done to my 12 cuse engine repair.A good friend works at a dealer ship and told me that the repair was going to be new cases (even the dealerships sometimes dont know what the hell is going on)and after calling it in to the mother ship they also sent out a powder coating repair kit.I was not happy about it and bitched and got nowere so the repair was donei am anal like everone here but a good repair and rely the only choice
   jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »

IF the repair is done properly by a qualified individual, you might be satisfied with just the repair.  I'm sure Harley will insist that you let them try that first, and I'm equally sure they won't cave in immediately and send you new engine cases.  Now if the repair doesn't work, you might have justification to ask for a case replacement.

Don't be too eager to change the engine cases btw.  Are you really sure you would want that dealership with the constantly changing staff to remove your engine, completely tear it apart, pile the parts on a grubby workbench, put the parts into the new cases, and then stuff the engine back into the frame?   :nervous:

As for your question about others having this problem, I remember a lot of folks in 2009 having peeling of the case paint, in some cases very severe.  I've seen complaints pretty much every year since.  It's just one more sign of how little Harley management cares about really fixing quality issues.  While you might think spending nearly $40k for one of their products would entitle you to decent quality and customer service, I've seen no evidence that Harley thinks the same way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »

your powder coating issue repair is what was done to my 12 cuse engine repair.A good friend works at a dealer ship and told me that the repair was going to be new cases (even the dealerships sometimes dont know what the hell is going on)and after calling it in to the mother ship they also sent out a powder coating repair kit.I was not happy about it and bitched and got nowere so the repair was donei am anal like everone here but a good repair and rely the only choice
   jon

i have done the repair on a couple of bikes and to the "average joe" it is not obvious  and is quicker ... let them do this....it is still a good idea to call the MOCO and voice your concern
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:01:34 AM »

Man, that's awful ... and they wonder why so many dealerships are going under. I feel your pain, my '05 had many quality issues to no end, I hope it works out in your favor. I agree with Jerry after seeing the turnover at that dealership ... as hard as it is to swallow, I would try the lesser of the two evils first.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »

i have done the repair on a couple of bikes and to the "average joe" it is not obvious  and is quicker ... let them do this....it is still a good idea to call the MOCO and voice your concern

I agree. Let them do the repair but have it documented in case it doesn't work. I agree with Jerry also, I would rather have some coating missing then to have them tear everything apart if my engine was indeed running fine.

Shark 6

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

Having the same issue, Motor Co directed them to touch it up.  Looks awful, opened a ticket with Motor Co 10 April.   Still waiting on response...

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

The powder coat started flaking off my transmission.. Dealer fixed it as well as clear coat coming off fairing and speakers fading. The powder coat wasn't re-powdered, they would have had to remove trans and send it out...didn't really want them to start tearing engine and trans apart. looks ok but not perfect. it is only a small flake so i accepted it. Good luck with your's

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.