Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: automotive type crank assembly  (Read 1367 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
automotive type crank assembly
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »

Happy New Year to all. I was reading one of my older HD hop-up repair books. I was just wondering why HD doesn't make one piece crank assemblies like in a car where you could pull out the rods, change out the bearings and turn the crank if you were having lower end problems. Wouldn't that make for a stronger bottom end and no possibility of sissoring the crank. It seems that would save them a lot of money on warranty work. I was just curious  why HD wouldn't change to something like this. The reason I made this post is that I saw a picture of  one of these cranks made for an HD engine. It had offset Carillo rods with plain bearings on the bottom end that could be changed out like when you remove a rod from the crank in your car. Thanks in advance for any comments.CAHDBIKER  PLEASE FIND ATTACHED THE PICTURE from a book at least 10 years old that prompted my post. The reason I brought it up is that if HD goes to a watercooled engine in the future, it will probably put out a lot more power, hopefully. With all the crank issues they have now it seems as though something like this would stay true and be able to take a lot more abuse than what they are currently using. As far as assembly it would seem that it would save labor since it probably would not have to be trued (they probably don't do that now anyways based on the bad crank issues I have read about here on the site.) Thanks again for your comments. CAHDBIKER
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:33:37 PM by cahdbiker »

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
Re: automotive type crank assembly
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »

The MoCo would have to stagger the jugs, which would widen the engine about an inch.  This would further complicate the push rod arrangement.  Offset rods are too costly for production use and not well suited for engines that are expected to run a lot of miles.

clubbie

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »

Seem to recall that an S&S X motor has this setup but the rods are side by side.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »

Happy New Year to all. I was reading one of my older HD hop-up repair books. I was just wondering why HD doesn't make one piece crank assemblies like in a car where you could pull out the rods, change out the bearings and turn the crank if you were having lower end problems. Wouldn't that make for a stronger bottom end and no possibility of sissoring the crank. It seems that would save them a lot of money on warranty work. I was just curious  why HD wouldn't change to something like this. The reason I made this post is that I saw a picture of  one of these cranks made for an HD engine. It had offset Carillo rods with plain bearings on the bottom end that could be changed out like when you remove a rod from the crank in your car. Thanks in advance for any comments.CAHDBIKER

Side/side rod configurations have been around for some time in the v-twin drag-racing world.
Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

The S&S X-Wedge engines have several advantages over the traditional 100+ year old Harley design, but chief among them is a one piece forged and machined crank that runs in plain bearings and uses automotive style H beam two piece rods that run side by side on the crankpin.  In other words, not only can it be done but it already has been done.

Check out this article for some more detailed information on the engine.  They make them in both fully certified street legal versions for the high volume custom bike builders as well as an off road only performance version.  They won't bolt into a standard Harley frame however.  http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0712_hbkp_x_wedge_engine/viewall.html

Harley could have incorporated many of these changes over the years if they had wanted to do so.  As for why they never did, I would guess corporate inertia and being unwilling to spend some money would be near the top of the list of reasons.  It's a real shame that the V-Rod never went over big with Harley customers.  Perhaps if it had management would have been more inclined to look at major improvements to the Big Twin engines.  Unfortunately what they did was just find ways to cheapen the existing engine and thus further reduce reliability.  Short term profits tend to be more important to Harley management than creating a better product.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »

It would cost more would be the only reason not too.I am sure they would think why spend the money when you don't have too.

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »

Although I don't get a chance to post much, I read a lot of what is going on with our beloved engines and it always catches my attention when the crank comments come up. I remain so miffed as to why a company like Harley that has 100+ years of building engines and the resources to create an extremely reliable robust engine that will last 100 years (maybe exaggeration) if properly maintained is not priority number 1. I get it that there may be other auxiliary things that will go on our scoots but the engine is the heart beat of our motorcycles. They should be upgradable if the customer chooses and not worry about weak bottom ends and lifters and stuff like that.

I'm optimistic that the new 2015 or so new Road Glide that has been rumored (wished / guess) offers an engine that will go down in history as the most reliable engine to date. For me, it doesn't need to be 150HP but reliable enough to not need anything for 250,000 miles or so that I can travel with - with minor refreshing at that mileage.

The 110 has been in production for 7 years and counting - longest lasting CVO engine in the MC history. Either they are continuing with this engine to perfect it to save face from the 2007 and 2008 release or they are doing a ton of R&D on it's replacement (more so than they did on the 110).

I don't plan to trade up until something of this nature happens - just my .02

BryantH
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:08:27 PM by BryantH »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »

Side/side rod configurations have been around for some time in the v-twin drag-racing world.
Scott

yup,most of the nitro bikes (exept us)are running a side by side rod set up.we are working on a new motor the SHUMAKER RACING for one though.it would make sence for HD to do it on the street motors (im not really sure where the "not suited for motors expected to run high miles" comes from,a cleavite type automotive bushing would basicly run forever)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

Here is one to ponder

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »

Here is one to ponder

Sure is a small rod journal on the front cylinder

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 26 queries.