Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has Anyone Removed Rear Fender Pillion Guards?  (Read 2623 times)

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
Has Anyone Removed Rear Fender Pillion Guards?
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »

I am looking for a new seat for my 2012.  The stock seat gives me hot spots and is frankly a little low for me.  Harley seats (sundowner) will fit if I remove the rubber strips from the rear fender that are covered by the passenger pillion.  I really like these and may want to put them back on at some point.  I looked for them on the HD website to see how they were installed, but no luck.  Has anyone removed them?

I am told by Corbin that their Young Guns seat will fit over them.  I did not inquire about their dual tour seat, which I find to be very expensive.  Plus, if the seat doesn't fit, they charge a 20% restocking fee.

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Has Anyone Removed Rear Fender Pillion Guards?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »

I have the Corbin Dual Tour and I didn't have to remove the rubber strips. The seat looks great and is super comfortable.

Etudeguy

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »

I am looking for a new seat for my 2012.  The stock seat gives me hot spots and is frankly a little low for me.  Harley seats (sundowner) will fit if I remove the rubber strips from the rear fender that are covered by the passenger pillion.  I really like these and may want to put them back on at some point.  I looked for them on the HD website to see how they were installed, but no luck.  Has anyone removed them?

I am told by Corbin that their Young Guns seat will fit over them.  I did not inquire about their dual tour seat, which I find to be very expensive.  Plus, if the seat doesn't fit, they charge a 20% restocking fee.
I put a Sundowner on my 2010 and didn't have to remove anything.  I even left the two bolts that hold the passenger pillion on.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »

I have the Corbin Dual Tour and I didn't have to remove the rubber strips. The seat looks great and is super comfortable.

Etudeguy

The seat runs $549.  I can probably get a discount of 10%.  That would put that seat at $528 with tax.  Do you think the seat is worth that kind of money?  I know that is a subjective statement, just seeking your opinion.  The Sundowner is considerably cheaper at $299 and far easier to test/return if I don't like it.

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

I put a Sundowner on my 2010 and didn't have to remove anything.  I even left the two bolts that hold the passenger pillion on.

Did your 2010 have the three chrome and rubber strips on the top of the rear fender?

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »

prstaples1911
I did put the Sundowner seat on my bike before I purchased the Corbin seat and although it is more comfortable than the stock seat it isn't anywhere as comfy as the Corbin. My wife rides behind me and she says that the Corbin is so much more superior for the passenger than the Sundowner.

I don't know if that helps.

Etudeguy

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

prstaples1911
I did put the Sundowner seat on my bike before I purchased the Corbin seat and although it is more comfortable than the stock seat it isn't anywhere as comfy as the Corbin. My wife rides behind me and she says that the Corbin is so much more superior for the passenger than the Sundowner.

I don't know if that helps.

Etudeguy

Thanks!

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »

Did your 2010 have the three chrome and rubber strips on the top of the rear fender?

Yes it does.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:01:28 AM »

I also tried the Sundowner on my '11 no problem installing it with the three chrome / rubber strips. Sent it back because it didn't help my wife's back. I also noticed that it was no where near as comfortable for the rider compared to the last Sundowner I had.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

glodigger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »

Iv installed the ultama W/rider backrest and  passenger pillion that is a big improvement over stock had to build up attachment brackits to fit over the three strip by changing length of bolts adding washers Have a corbin dual with back rests for sale make offer.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.