Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ?For the Audiophiles  (Read 2465 times)

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
Re: ?For the Audiophiles
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »

Surprised no votes for Sena bluetooth.  Realizing they're more than straight audio.  They're com. headsets.

Full disclosure, don't own them but on my wish list.  Several I know say they're great stereo headsets.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »

I just googled a company called Ultimate Ear.  It appears they make custom molded earphones for the music industry.  If I can get the gal in AZ. to put me in a headphone jack and if the earphones will work inside the helmet without killing your ears, this might be a solution.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

I just googled a company called Ultimate Ear.  It appears they make custom molded earphones for the music industry.  If I can get the gal in AZ. to put me in a headphone jack and if the earphones will work inside the helmet without killing your ears, this might be a solution.

Exactly,,,,btw the ones I have sound almost as good as my Bose ear buds...

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »

I was looking for the exact same thing as you. Though I have a great system in my bike (Focal speakers and Arc amp) I couldn't hear voices well at freeway speeds and ride almost every sunday when I want to at least listen to the football games. I ran a thread very similar to yours when I remembered that I had bought these amazing Earbuds for travel (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se535-sound-isolating-earphones) I was amazed at how well they worked! Fit perfect under my helmet and could hear everything. I now use them regularly and didnt have to do anything. When i bought these Sure earphones i researched  all the options and for around $500, these were by far the best out there. I travel frequently and was looking to upgrade from the Bose I had been using for years. I hope this helps
Alan

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »

Are they Bluetooth?   If not, where did you plug them in?  I have the Cardo SRC System which bluetooths to my garmin, BSR and other bikes.  I need an earphone jack for my SRC headset to plug the earbuds in, I think?  Have you tried several brands?  Does Bose make earbuds that are cheaper and better?  Did you get the custom fit ones that are fitted to your ear mold?

Cowboy

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 12:23:34 AM »

I plug them into my Garmin 665. I believe they will fit into the Harmin Kardin stock head unit. Bose are not as good but less money. They are not custom fitted but do "twist" into your ear for a flat "noise canceling"" fit.
Alan

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »

My best sound came from wearing noise canceling ear buds!  I used them with a MP3 player when riding my Road King.
They were Etymotic brand.  Warning with these you are def to the world! But they sound Great I am sure there are brands that work well also.
I bought J&M speakers to upgrade my Harley headset #77117-10 headsets and I will testify that they don't have the normal wires in them very hard to solder and I think I mess up the polarity, they work but I am not happy with the results at all.  I don't recommend it, it was a wast of money and time.
I agree It seems that you should be Able to Great audio quality these days in a helmet speaker.
Has anyone tried Dave Clark they make aviation headsets?
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »

Yes, I fly and have used David Clark headsets for a long time.  I'm not sure what they would have.  Those Schure ear buds look great except for the price.  The gal in AZ said those little speaker wires have an extremely hard varnish on them that has to be burnt off before splicing.

Cowboy

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:29 AM »

we used interphone F4, Scala Q2 and now have Scala G9. Those are good intercoms but as stereo headsets: forget anything bluetooth  ;) The technology still has to get improved quite a bit until they can be compared to the audio quality a cable headset delivers.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:34 AM »

Why is it so hard for these companies to make a good quality headset speaker?   I have the Cardo SRC System and their speakers are absolute junk.

Why do you think the Cardo speakers are junk?

we used interphone F4, Scala Q2 and now have Scala G9. Those are good intercoms but as stereo headsets: forget anything bluetooth

I've used the Cardo's for several years. They are not music speakers and they don't work well at all for music. But, since they were designed for voice communications they work really well. And one of the key points I have found is since they are so small (thin) you can move them around to get the speaker directly over the ear canal.

I currently have the Nolan 104 for my music purposes. And it works and sounds pretty good. But once I start approaching  speeds north of 60-65 I start to lose the ability to hear them loud enough. That I attribute to the speakers not being over the center of my ear and allowing too much extraneous noise in. They are large and just fit in the helmet's speakers pocket with no position adjustment.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 08:43:46 AM »

Have tried many types and found these to be the best - highest quality, loudest - own several pairs. You can buy the speakers separately, think they are about $70/pair.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/970/38078/ITEM/J-M-J-M-HS-8154-Full-Face-Helmet-Headset.aspx?SiteID=SLI%7CHelmet%20Speakers&WT.MC_ID=10010

Evert tried to fit this kit in a Harley branded helmet? I have a pair of these and my Harley full face has about half the pocket size needed to fit the J&M's

MV 2013

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »

Why do you think the Cardo speakers are junk?

Porthole,

I rarely use them for communication and mostly for music.  They sound real tinny with all highs and no lows.  If those Schure ear buds are as good as reported, then I think all I would have to do is to put a headphone jack on the headset (which the lady in AZ said she could do very easily) and I should have a good sounding bluetooth stereo headset.  I could pair the Cardo to the Garmin or to an aftermarket bluetooth head unit if I ever upgrade.  That's my thought process, do you see any holes in it?

Cowboy

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »

I rarely use them for communication and mostly for music.  They sound real tinny with all highs and no lows.  If those Schure ear buds are as good as reported, then I think all I would have to do is to put a headphone jack on the headset (which the lady in AZ said she could do very easily) and I should have a good sounding bluetooth stereo headset.  I could pair the Cardo to the Garmin or to an aftermarket bluetooth head unit if I ever upgrade.  That's my thought process, do you see any holes in it?

The only hole I see is the one in your head  :oops: of course only referring to your ear canal. You are getting exactly what those Cardo's are made for and the result is tinny and no base. But, I can plainly hear mine at any speed for voice coms.

Are you referring to using ear buds along with the Cardo speakers for voice? Don't know. I haven't really giving any thought to the ear bud method as that is just one more thing to have to plug unplug.
Whatever I finally end up with my goal is to be able to control the music, especially the volume from the handlebar controls. And getting my "speed compensated volume" to work again would be a real bonus.

MV 2013

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »

The only hole I see is the one in your head  :oops: of course only referring to your ear canal. You are getting exactly what those Cardo's are made for and the result is tinny and no base. But, I can plainly hear mine at any speed for voice coms.

Are you referring to using ear buds along with the Cardo speakers for voice? Don't know. I haven't really giving any thought to the ear bud method as that is just one more thing to have to plug unplug.
Whatever I finally end up with my goal is to be able to control the music, especially the volume from the handlebar controls. And getting my "speed compensated volume" to work again would be a real bonus.

The lady in AZ said that she puts a switch in to flip back and forth from the earbuds to the helmet speakers.  The Cardo system looks good, fits great, is great for voice commands but lacks a lot for music audio quality.  Just trying to improve the system.

Cowboy

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »

FYI check out the SENA SMH10
Note the review is a bit dated.  I was reading the reviews and folks were very happy with the sound quality.  one guy used to use the ear buds and moved to this.
I think they have a newer thiner model out now.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-bluetooth-stereo-headset
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.