Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Noise  (Read 1892 times)

Jessee

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2005 Electraglide FLHTCSE2 Cherry
Engine Noise
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »

I have a 05 cherry electraglide cvo and always runs very strong, it has over 46,000. I bought it used so I don't know what has been replaced and what has not. I believe it has been taken apart at least once, the cylinder fins have been diamond milled, whether anything was changed or not...I'm not for sure. But, tonight me and the wife went for about a three hour ride and when we was coming back home the engine started making a noise, I turned the engine off while coasting and restarted and noise was gone but returned shortly and noticed that when I throttled u the  noise would increase. If I tried to let engine idle it would quit but would restart. I have been reading about the compensation nut loosing up...can it be causing my engine noise? To me it sounded as if starter was engaged and caught in ring gear, I checked engine oil-good. Any ideas where to start diagnosing? Thanks!
Jessee

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: Engine Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »

I would start by inspecting the cam cavity, the noise you describe sounds like that, a scraping light grinding from the chain tensioners.

Jessee

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2005 Electraglide FLHTCSE2 Cherry
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

Thanks...you were exactly right. Tore engine apart and found tensioner busted, chain ate into the metal section of the tensioner. Found the metal roller of the tensioner behind the oil pump. Chain guide was also busted and was behind the oil pump. the crank shaft gear had also twisted on the crank shaft flat surface about 1/8th of a turn. Here i sit ready to tear it apart because I found fine metal shavings on the magnet of the oil drain plug when I drained the engine oil. Now I'm contemplating what to put back....i.e. the 3 gears from S&S to get away from plastic parts.  Will probably have to replace the crank shaft where the crank gear twisted or is there another option? Whats your opinion? Don't want this to happen again! Love to ride it hard! Another weak link in the system that I might need to go ahead and replace while I have the engine tore down???
Jessee

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »

Next step.......Check the crank run out

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

For the best advice send a pm to hd-dude, Jim at Metal Dragon. Without question the best Harley Mechanic you will ever know.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.