Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flush fuel cap issue  (Read 4246 times)

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
Flush fuel cap issue
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »

Anyone have a problem on their SESG with the fuel cap vibrating loose? I am not overfilling the tank, same amount as always, but I have had times when I hit the road for a quick getaway when the fuel cap starts streaming gas if I am at freeway speed, seems as if it is vibration or something....doesn't seem to happen if I fill up just before a leisure ride. This just seems odd. I had cruise on and was still having to push on the cap, and it was as down and twisted as I could get it to go before I left the gas station.

:confused5:

Maybe it's just me. Please, give this chemo fogged girl a break on the smart a$$ answers.

On the positive side...yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of when I started riding Scarlett and I saw this during the ride. Not the 15k worth of riding I had hoped for, but with a full 5 months+ out of commission, it isn't so shabby, I guess. I sure know a whole lot more now than I did then... I am grateful for all of you who have taken the time to be kind to an absolute neophyte.
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
Re: Flush fuel cap issue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

Is the bike sitting after you fill it, or are these gas and go stops.  If the bike is hot from riding, you pull in, fill it, and then let the bike sit in the sun while you get a drink or take a break.  The fuel in the tank can start to get hot and expand on you.  The once you take the bike off the stand and head down the road, the expanding fuel ends up leaking out the cap.

Or, I could be completely wrong...  :nixweiss:   :cucumber:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »

Harley had problems previously with some flush fuel caps not actually being fully seated due to improperly formed threads in the tanks.  In other words, because the threads were too tight the cap would appear to be fully seated when it wasn't.  This is a possibility you can have checked.  Harley even eventually sent the dealers a tool and notification on how to fix the problem.  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the notice, but this was discussed on this site about a year ago if I remember correctly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »

Jerry, not speaking out of turn here but I believe that recall on the gas cap lids was mainly on the sportster/dyna line (like my wife's '11 Superlow).  That would be recall notice: 0613NaNRCL:FUEL FILLER NECK-0613
Kilaani, just checking here but if you tighten the fuel cap too much before you "seat" the crown of the cap flush with the tank, it can cause some issues as in not sealing.  According to Harley, the first tightening should be snug (insert your definition of snug here....).  Then seat the cap flush with the tank and lock (turning the cap a bit clockwise to lock it down).  If you are doing this and it's still leaking, I would take it to the dealer for inspection.  May be a bad cap that needs replacing.
One more idea.  Are you filing the tank while the bike is upright or while it's leaning on the side stand?  If you fill the tank with it on the side stand and fill over bottom of the filler neck, when you stand it back upright, there may be excess fuel coming back up through the cap and causing your issues.  Plus, if you do have a bad cap, overfilling would make it that much worse.

May not be any of these problems but things you can check on and have information on when/if you take it to the dealer.  My two cents...
Howard

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »

Yes, the bulletin I was remembering became an emissions recall, and the subject vehicles were Softails, Dyna's, and I believe Sporster's with the flush mounted gas caps.  Of course that doesn't mean they couldn't have the same issue on a SG tank, the technology and method of fabrication is pretty much the same.

Anyhow, the gas cap should not leak fuel, so the advice to take it to the dealer is good advice.  Perhaps the cap is defective, perhaps the tank threads are too tight, can't really say without an inspection.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76985.msg1058274#msg1058274

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »

Is the bike sitting after you fill it, or are these gas and go stops.  If the bike is hot from riding, you pull in, fill it, and then let the bike sit in the sun while you get a drink or take a break.  The fuel in the tank can start to get hot and expand on you.  The once you take the bike off the stand and head down the road, the expanding fuel ends up leaking out the cap.

Or, I could be completely wrong...  :nixweiss:   :cucumber:

Yes, generally the bike has already been hot when I fuel and go, so perhaps the expansion could be part of it. I will have Harley check the othe possibility, and yes, usually have the tank on the stand, but always leave the fuel at least an inch below the filler top. Perhaps that is an issue too.

Thanks guys.
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

Actually in the 110 degrees range for summer, it's plain hot. I will just fillin' it at the first pump notice.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.