Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steel Toe Tour  (Read 1942 times)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
Steel Toe Tour
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »

I know that this has probably been discussed many times and i did do a search, but could not find anything recent (newer than 2011). Has anyone recently taken the Steel Toe Tour at the York Plant and if so, would you care to share some of your thoughts about it? Is it worth the $30 and would you go again?

I'm thinking of taking it in prior to heading to Milwaukee for H.O.T. training in April. Thought it would be a good way to set the mood so to speak..lol! Thanks in advance for your comments.  :nixweiss:

Soot

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Steel Toe Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:37:56 AM »

30K for a special bike and you shouldnt have to pay for a special tour.
Especially since they took away the special CVO plant.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »

Agreed.  I think if you can show registration for a Harley, you shouldn't have to pay to see them built.  That's bull~
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

Ok, now that everyone has stated that they feel the $30 is unjust and bullchit.....let me rephrase the question! Has anyone recently toured the York Plant and what are their impressions of the tour?

Maybe if they have a suggestion box at the plant - someone; me; all of us that take the tour can strongly suggest that if you own a CVO you should get a drastically reduced/free tour. I should also mention that the regular tour (1 hr long) is FREE. The more in depth (behind the scenes 2 hr tour) is the one for $30 with a museum membership.

Soot   ;)

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:58:59 PM »

I took the steel toe tour in October of this past year. It was pretty good. I had never been in any manufacturing facility of this magnitude. It was interesting to see how things move through the process as well as how each step was performed. You get a free caution vest and some other pin type trinkets. I personally have wasted much more money on much less so the thirty bucks wasn't a big deal. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The people that do these tours are very knowledgeable and can give you some good information about every step in the process. I could have stayed at each actual assembly station for an hour and analyzed how each part was installed. It was cool to see bikes just moving around on their own through the plant from area to area. The tour is worth doing IMHO, but I am a simple kind of guy that really gets into how things are constructed and what makes them tick.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

Ok, now that everyone has stated that they feel the $30 is unjust and bullchit.....let me rephrase the question! Has anyone recently toured the York Plant and what are their impressions of the tour?

Maybe if they have a suggestion box at the plant - someone; me; all of us that take the tour can strongly suggest that if you own a CVO you should get a drastically reduced/free tour. I should also mention that the regular tour (1 hr long) is FREE. The more in depth (behind the scenes 2 hr tour) is the one for $30 with a museum membership.

Soot   ;)

Since you rephrased it - I would definitely do the freebie. That tour is listed as one of the top ten in the country. While your at the freebie ask what the difference is for the $30 special.

One link I found claimed that over 3200 people have been through it since it opened. That is 96 grand, just another money maker.

I still wouldn't pay though.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »

We plan on doing it on vacation this year. I'm in the "have wasted more money on lesser things" category. Spend any money at an amusement park lately? It'll cost you more than $30 just to get it and you don't get the freebies  :huepfenlol2:

Scratch that. Just tried to buy tickets as we're taking vacation over July4th. Seems like they have nothing open for the whole month of July  :-[
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:06:35 PM by Ohiobellboy »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »

We plan on doing it on vacation this year. I'm in the "have wasted more money on lesser things" category. Spend any money at an amusement park lately? It'll cost you more than $30 just to get it and you don't get the freebies  :huepfenlol2:

Scratch that. Just tried to buy tickets as we're taking vacation over July4th. Seems like they have nothing open for the whole month of July  :-[
Hell with it. We'll go over Memorial Day.  :pepper:

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »

I took the steel toe tour in October of this past year. It was pretty good. I had never been in any manufacturing facility of this magnitude. It was interesting to see how things move through the process as well as how each step was performed. You get a free caution vest and some other pin type trinkets. I personally have wasted much more money on much less so the thirty bucks wasn't a big deal. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The people that do these tours are very knowledgeable and can give you some good information about every step in the process. I could have stayed at each actual assembly station for an hour and analyzed how each part was installed. It was cool to see bikes just moving around on their own through the plant from area to area. The tour is worth doing IMHO, but I am a simple kind of guy that really gets into how things are constructed and what makes them tick.

Thanks Krypto! Your response was right to the point! I agree, have spent much more for far less......I'm looking forward to the tour!  :xyxthumbs:

benz

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

HI
My wife and I took the steel toe tour in Sept. 2012 and loved it. I am a technician/shop foreman at a Luxury car manufacturer so I am very technical. I thought for the 30 it was well worth it. The freebie did not get you in as close and they weren't as detailed. Look for Fred he is a retired gentleman that was our tour guide and he was great. Very knowledgable and took time to point out different things.
Just my 2 cents.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »

HI
My wife and I took the steel toe tour in Sept. 2012 and loved it. I am a technician/shop foreman at a Luxury car manufacturer so I am very technical. I thought for the 30 it was well worth it. The freebie did not get you in as close and they weren't as detailed. Look for Fred he is a retired gentleman that was our tour guide and he was great. Very knowledgable and took time to point out different things.
Just my 2 cents.

++ Thank you. Booking my tour ticket today!  8)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »

++ Thank you. Booking my tour ticket today!  8)
So when are ya going?

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:05:03 AM »

:You must have bought your tickets......just seen the graph for the HD stocks go up! :D :D :2vrolijk_09:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:15:59 AM by screamincvo »

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »

So when are ya going?

Ohio: Middle of April!

Screamin: lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:56:08 AM by Soot »

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.