Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley Heated Clothes  (Read 838 times)

funbiker1967

• Semper Fi
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
Harley Heated Clothes
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

I am going to miss my heated grips on my CVO Road Glide.  My Dealer suggested the heated gear?  Was told that it plugs right in to the bike?  Any thoughts???
Just remember worse things have happened to better people....

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Harley Heated Clothes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »

Buy the heated jacket and a dual controller also. The dual controller will let you control the heat level of both the gloves and the jacket separately. The Jacket is already wired for the gloves so you will not have to run the cables down your arms every time you use the gloves as you would if you just had the gloves.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »

I have the Gerbing heated jacket liner, socks, pants and gloves with the dual control.  I wouldn't trade the warmth of these clothes for a 75 degree in Florida.   :'( :nixweiss:  (What am I thinking!). Anyway, since we don't see temps that warm until June, I ride all spring in these clothes.  Best purchase I ever made.  :2vrolijk_21:  The jacket liner even has a heated collar that feels great on your neck where the cold air is the worst.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »

I purchased the HD (Gerbing) jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and insoles.  They work great.  The jacket liner and gloves are very easy to use.  The pants liner, if you wear them over your jeans, makes you look like your wearing pajamas, they would be a pain in the ass to wear under your jeans. 

I would recommend the Gerbing Extreme Element line of heated gear.  They are waterproof, so they will also be your rain gear and are designed to be your exterior clothing layer.  I think they would be much easier to use than what I have and save you from packing heated gear and rain gear.

I know that Gerbing is moving from Washington to North Carolina and were not going to have their production up and running until this summer.  That's what they told me in December when I called them.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

I am going to miss my heated grips on my CVO Road Glide.  My Dealer suggested the heated gear?  Was told that it plugs right in to the bike?  Any thoughts???

I would get heated grips installed for one thing.  I know that I don't just use them when I have heated gear on.  Then, get yourself a heated jacket.  You just run the cable for it to the battery and then there is an RCA type jack at the end of the cable that you plug your jacket into whenever you need to.  I have a TourMaster and I have friends with several different brands, and they all seem to do the job well.  There are some battery operated jackets on the market now, but I don't think any of them are great for riding.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

The pants liner is not designed to be worn as an outer layer. Buy them large enough so that you can wear them over your pants and then wear your chaps over them. This will prevent you from melting the pants liner on the pipes and it makes the pants work more efficiently. I had to buy another pair of chaps large enough to go over them. My normal fair weather chaps were to small to go over pants and the pants liner.  Don't ask me how I know to not wear them as an outer garment.

Jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »

http://www.warmnsafe.com/heat-trollers/

As far as ease of use, these controllers are far superior to the in-line models in a pocket or clipped onto the top of your chaps. I'm mounting mine in the spare switch blank.

If I still had an ultra I'd mount it through the inner fairing.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

The pants liner is not designed to be worn as an outer layer. Buy them large enough so that you can wear them over your pants and then wear your chaps over them. This will prevent you from melting the pants liner on the pipes and it makes the pants work more efficiently. I had to buy another pair of chaps large enough to go over them. My normal fair weather chaps were to small to go over pants and the pants liner.  Don't ask me how I know to not wear them as an outer garment.

Jim@hdbomm.com

I wear a pair of long underwear under my heated jacket and pants and then I put on my heavy rain pants and jacket over the heated gear and this combo works perfect for me.   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

loop4re7

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

Powerlet wireless remote dual controller is where it's at.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »

Buy the Gerbing, they make it for HD brand.  Also the Gerbing has life time warranty. 

Dual controller a must.
Get the Jacket liner, that way you can wear any of your jackets.  I usually just use a mid weight or even summer jacket.
Get the outer pants, they are easy on and off, so you have just jeans on when you get there.
Then they have nice cloves, I have the G-3 and also a pair of the Nubuck.
Then they have heated socks or insoles.

Its great for traveling.  You bring way less stuff.  Also as the day warms up you turn the temperature down. 

Money well spent.  A sunny 30 degree day is just another nice day to go for a ride!
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »

I too agree with what everyone is saying. I am new to the heated clothing. Started wearing it in mid November last year when a buddy and I where making a last attempt at the ABC's of touring. I will not ride without it in cold weather now. I went with the Gerbing Hybrid gloves. I like the idea of the using a battery when needed. Also they come up a little higher on the wrist. The Harley gloves are a little shorter on the wrist and are a little softer than the Gerbings. For the heated jacket I went with the Harley one. It has less pockets but the Harley one heats the whole length of the arm down to the wrist. The Gerbing has a 2 inch elastic cloth band at the wrist which does not heat up. I did not like that elastic or the no heat part on the wrist. I also went with the heated socks. They heat all around the foot. My buddy went with the heated sole. He them  and says his feet are warm. All I know is at freezing temperatures I had my feet on the HWY pegs and my feet were boiling. The dual thermostate a must. Without it everything gets too hot and you can't control the heat. It's ether on or off.

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 25 queries.