Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small amount of play on 08 sprocket  (Read 2303 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Small amount of play on 08 sprocket
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »

I have my bike on the lift and was going through the alignment process due to numerous amounts of rear tire scalloping at the 3,000 mark.  Last fall I replaced the rear sprocket, bowl, bearings etc.  I replaced every part associated with the rear wheel.  I also had the rim run out checked at two shops.  Wether the rear wheel is off the lift or on the table with all the weight on her I'm able to grab the sprocket and rock it forward and backwards and side to side a slight amount.  With all the new parts I didn't expect this or have an answer, so last Sunday I went to the largest dealership around to check the sprockets on other bikes.  Even though the 07's and older have a different set up all the used bikes had zero play on sprocket movement.  The new bikes were perfectly tight.  I found two 08 SERK's that have the same amount of play with the sprocket.  I have close to 70,000 miles on my bike but I have always taken good care of her and don't wait for things to break before I replace them.  The wheel is torqued properly and the only thing I can think of is that it may be normal as the bike puts on high mileage.  The reason I changed the sprocket, bowl and the rubber isolators is because of the play I had when I put her away for the winter.  Now I replace all the parts and nothing has changed.  I wish they had some used 09' and up to check but not to be.  Since I have removed the rear wheel a number of times since I owned it I'm aware that it goes on fairly tight but I can't remember checking the movement.  I have been guilty of not doing a decent job of explaining my problems in the past so I hope I did this one right.  So the wheel does not move only the sprocket.  Could use any advice.

Thanks                         

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Small amount of play on 08 sprocket
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »

The '08 version of the isolator system is different from the '09 and later version.  For '09 the MoCo eliminated the separate "bowl" part that bolted to the wheel, and they had the wheel castings changed to incorporate the function in the wheel itself (eliminating extra parts and thus extra costs).  The other part of the change was to the actual rubber isolators.  Your bike has 6 separate rubber pieces, whereas the '09 and later bikes have a one piece rubber isolator.

The '08 version did have some play, and Harley actually had a specification for the allowable amount of play before you were supposed to change the rubber biscuits.  I've searched my files for that bulletin or tech tip or whatever it was, but I can't find it.  If you have the shop manual for the bike check to see if the info is in that.  Anyhow, I'm guessing that the earliest version of the system did have more play due to the multiple parts versus the one piece system of the later years. 

Hopefully some others with the '08 system will be able to chime in and let you know if theirs shows the same condition. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »

Not any real help after what Jerry had to say, but my '09 CUSE has '0' play.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »

I'll check my manuals & make some calls tomorrow.  Right now I have the pleasure of getting dressed for snow blowing my small gravel 1,800' driveway.  I was going to get a tractor but talked the wife into doing it with the snow blower so we could afford to have the new motor installed.  Oh how I wish I bought the Wing & the Kabota!   

Thanks again

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »

The '08 version of the isolator system is different from the '09 and later version.  For '09 the MoCo eliminated the separate "bowl" part that bolted to the wheel, and they had the wheel castings changed to incorporate the function in the wheel itself (eliminating extra parts and thus extra costs).  The other part of the change was to the actual rubber isolators.  Your bike has 6 separate rubber pieces, whereas the '09 and later bikes have a one piece rubber isolator.

The '08 version did have some play, and Harley actually had a specification for the allowable amount of play before you were supposed to change the rubber biscuits.  I've searched my files for that bulletin or tech tip or whatever it was, but I can't find it.  If you have the shop manual for the bike check to see if the info is in that.  Anyhow, I'm guessing that the earliest version of the system did have more play due to the multiple parts versus the one piece system of the later years. 

Hopefully some others with the '08 system will be able to chime in and let you know if theirs shows the same condition. 

Jerry

I have an 08 RK and the isolator was replaced at 25,000 miles. Everything was nice and tight after replacement. Not sure If mine was a earlier or later model.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

Haven't found anything yet but I did install new biscuits last fall as I remember how tightly the wheel went on.  With everything replaced and checked I'm guessing it's something I will have to live with.  For some reason the left side of the bike has been troublesome right from the beginning.  Numerous compensator's (4), clutch baskets (2), primary chain tensioner (1), drive belt (1), swingarm bushings (3), rear wheel, rear tire scalloping, all new parts from one end to the other end.  I still have to do the alignment procedure again now that I installed the Glide Pro kit. The swingarm bushing were looking pretty nasty but not as bad as the first set.  The front motor mount made a significant difference in the vibration especially at idle.  It's no secret that I have spent way to much on a bike that delivers so little.  I still remember Keats post years ago  " Leave it stock"  when you do that it's easy to walk away and start over & hope for better luck.  The last time I did the alignment using the lasers and the digital level it everything was perfect with the exception of the rear wheel.  It was as if someone on the left side kicked the bottom in, the only way I could get the wheel to 90 degrees was to place a shim under the axle.  Well I hoping the effort will make my rear tires last longer, if the anything is solved I will do a follow up.       

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

I think this may be what you're looking for.

DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »

I think this may be what you're looking for.

:2vrolijk_21:   Yup, that's exactly what I remembered but couldn't find.  That maximum "play" figure made me laugh my butt off back when I first read it, and it did the same thing when I just read it again.  Four tenths of an inch is one heck of a lot of slop.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »

I have (2) 2008 bikes with this setup and neither one exhibits very much play (albeit there is some).  I just took a look-see and on my CVO with 41,000 miles, i have about a tenth.  On my 08 FLHX with 36,000 miles, maybe .050.  The only thing I've changed, other than tires, are the wheel bearings all around.  All of my bikes have had wheel bearing failures (very disturbing) with the newest bike being an 09 FLHR (wifes). 
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:53 PM »

That is the one I thought Jerry was talking about.  I remember it being posted quite some time ago.

Thanks

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.