Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERT Issue - Need advice  (Read 1200 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
SERT Issue - Need advice
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »

My current ride has a SERT on it. I have the cord and disc but do not have a copy of the map that is currently installed in it. San Diego H-D tells me they do not keep maps on file and there is now way I can get a copy of whatever the map is. I am told that this basically means I'm screwed as to having my engine tuned with the existing SERT. Electrical and electronics are not my forte. Not even remotely close. If I ever tried to wire a bike it would make Lucas Electrics look like Microsoft, that's how bad I am with anything involving electricity/eletronics. Can anyone put in their $0.02 on my issue here. Am I screwed ? Do I need to yank the SERT and buy a PC if I want to swap out exhaust and retune ?

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SERT Issue - Need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »

My current ride has a SERT on it. I have the cord and disc but do not have a copy of the map that is currently installed in it. San Diego H-D tells me they do not keep maps on file and there is now way I can get a copy of whatever the map is. I am told that this basically means I'm screwed as to having my engine tuned with the existing SERT. Electrical and electronics are not my forte. Not even remotely close. If I ever tried to wire a bike it would make Lucas Electrics look like Microsoft, that's how bad I am with anything involving electricity/eletronics. Can anyone put in their $0.02 on my issue here. Am I screwed ? Do I need to yank the SERT and buy a PC if I want to swap out exhaust and retune ?

B B

You've got only the cord?  Not the interface dongle?  If so yeah, you're screwed for any future tuning.

You can't recover the old map from the ECM (dongle or not) is a SERT user.  But with the dongle you could tune again without issue.  Without it, however, you are verily well hosed.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »

You've got only the cord?  Not the interface dongle?  If so yeah, you're screwed for any future tuning.

You can't recover the old map from the ECM (dongle or not) is a SERT user.  But with the dongle you could tune again without issue.  Without it, however, you are verily well hosed.

OK, since I too speak Donspeak, I can answer this. Yes, I have the interface dongle

Don't need the old map. If somebody in Maine buys the bike, it's gonna have to go on a dyno and be retuned with some Maine apprived mufflers. What you're sayin here means I'm good to go.
Thankee kindly Mr TLR
I don't know why I just didn't PM you and save time, space and effort

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »

If you have the old SERT(black dongle) and you need the map out of the ECM try contacting Steve Cole at TTS. Think he may be able to help but you'll probably have to send him the ECM.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »

So you can actually "retune" it and save the tune you put in correct?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »

So you can actually "retune" it and save the tune you put in correct?

Could retune from what's their currently.  Copy of that new tune could be saved by dyno operator that is creating it.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »

Since a couple of others have joined the discussion, I'd like to ask this

As it sits, my 07 Road Glide has a pretty strong motor.It's a 103 built up from the stock 96 with SE Performance heads, SE 257 cams, bigger jugs etc. I've been running it with a BC Gerolomy open air cleaner combined with a SE Breather kit and a set of 65115-98B SE mufflers connected to the stock headpipes. Although I do like Reinhart systems at the time this motor was built nobody had yet added the 02 bung to their systems so I went with what I did because one of the best H-D motor guys I know in the Dago area (Bob Moreland) has long said that performance mufflers coupled with a set free breather mufflers are a goood combination for a heavy bagger. And my seat of the pants experience shows it to where I've not seen the sense in spending the money for a Reinhart system. So anyway, if somebody in Maine wants this bike, Maine's insanely restrictive exhaust law which is actually a noise abatement law specifically targeted at motorcycles is going to require that the stock mufflers go back on this bike. I honestly do not see how a motor such as this is going to peform with restrictive mufflers. I mean not to screw the pooch on me selling this bike, but seriously, can this motor be tuned with restrictive mufflers ?

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

Since a couple of others have joined the discussion, I'd like to ask this

As it sits, my 07 Road Glide has a pretty strong motor.It's a 103 built up from the stock 96 with SE Performance heads, SE 257 cams, bigger jugs etc. I've been running it with a BC Gerolomy open air cleaner combined with a SE Breather kit and a set of 65115-98B SE mufflers connected to the stock headpipes. Although I do like Reinhart systems at the time this motor was built nobody had yet added the 02 bung to their systems so I went with what I did because one of the best H-D motor guys I know in the Dago area (Bob Moreland) has long said that performance mufflers coupled with a set free breather mufflers are a goood combination for a heavy bagger. And my seat of the pants experience shows it to where I've not seen the sense in spending the money for a Reinhart system. So anyway, if somebody in Maine wants this bike, Maine's insanely restrictive exhaust law which is actually a noise abatement law specifically targeted at motorcycles is going to require that the stock mufflers go back on this bike. I honestly do not see how a motor such as this is going to peform with restrictive mufflers. I mean not to screw the pooch on me selling this bike, but seriously, can this motor be tuned with restrictive mufflers ?

B B

Yea, it'll just be a leaner MAP.

Another idea might be to replace the B SE mufflers with newer cans and an alternate baffle, like a Fullsac 1.75".  It can be pretty quiet when you want it to be.  It depends on how strictly they enforce the law.  Also, I think Rush makes a slip on that offers various baffles from relatively quiet to obnoxiously loud.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the older stock mufflers have the catalytic converter in the cans and not the header pipe?  Of course, if they actually run a DB test on the bike for inspection purposes, etc, the previous is a mute point, no pun intended.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

Yea, it'll just be a leaner MAP.

Another idea might be to replace the B SE mufflers with newer cans and an alternate baffle, like a Fullsac 1.75".  It can be pretty quiet when you want it to be.  It depends on how strictly they enforce the law.  Also, I think Rush makes a slip on that offers various baffles from relatively quiet to obnoxiously loud.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the older stock mufflers have the catalytic converter in the cans and not the header pipe?  Of course, if they actually run a DB test on the bike for inspection purposes, etc, the previous is a mute point, no pun intended.

They do run a db test Terry and that's why the stock OEM mufflers will go back on if it's sold in Maine. The buyer will of course get he SE mufflers to do with as he/she chooses.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »

They do run a db test Terry and that's why the stock OEM mufflers will go back on if it's sold in Maine. The buyer will of course get he SE mufflers to do with as he/she chooses.

These Db tests are not an exact science either. Some of the COMPLETELY stock Road Kings in Edmonton, Alberta's police fleet were not passing either.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

B B

Don't know diddly 'bout your issue, but loved your reference to Lucas, The Prince of Darkness!
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

These Db tests are not an exact science either. Some of the COMPLETELY stock Road Kings in Edmonton, Alberta's police fleet were not passing either.

What happened in Maine is pure and total bullchit as laws go. Snowmobiles, thru-hull exhaust boats - - nothing else was included in the law except motorcycles. And as I understand it from my sources at the paper I write for during the summer months in Maine, this law was the result of a very small group of people who found an ear amongst a couple of legislators and the damn thing got passed before anyone really took it seriously. Maine has a group called United Bikers of Maine that back in my day (80's) was huge in fighting any anti-motorcycle legislation. Helmet law , you name it. I guess they've become some sort of Mom and Pipe wannbe bike club now as my recent summers in Maine I've seem a bunch of bullchit ordinances, laws etc against motorcycles get enacted. Sad to see what was once one of the most powerful biker rights groups in the nation become a toothless old bear. OK, I digress. Anyway, the law's been passed and motorcycles now have to display an inspection sticker. In order to get that sticker the bike has to comply with along list of chit one of which is the db test. As I understand it, the H-D dealerships will no longer install any kind of non complying muffler. I don't know how the hell they can build kickass motors or install the 124's and not put a performance exhaust system on it - -hmmmm well maybe they do but then won't give you an inspection sticker. Well I really don't know the whole story I guess but it seems like a real cluster _ uck

B B

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.