Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best that it Happened Now!  (Read 1416 times)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
Best that it Happened Now!
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »

If this had happened during prime riding weather, I think I would have a kanipshun! Last night after I concluded drooling over the new CUSE, I turned the ignition switch to the lock position and put the key in to lock the forks. The key did not want to come up to easily and next I noticed that the switch itself was turning further than normal. I finally got the key out and the entire switch lifted upward and spun around freely.

Luckily the salesman is a buddy of mine and I gave him a call around 11:00 and politely asked WTF is that all about. Anyway, long story short.....they're sending a technician to my house tomm to have a look-see and repair. Hopefully it won't require an entire new switch. Just goes to show that nothing is infallible. When I'm at the York Plant next week; I'll be sure to ask how something like that can get past quality control!!!!

Meanwhile, we still have snow on the ground so it's no big whoop but ..........

Soot  :nixweiss:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Best that it Happened Now!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »

Definitely not a good thing, but as you said better now that riding season.  I would be more concerned why it wasnt caught at the PDI of your bike before you took delivery.
What else did they possibly miss?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

Odds are that the nut beneath the knob is loose.  Once it gets tightened the knob can be locked into place.  Also might want to lube the switch while the knob is off.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

That's what the tech figures it is also. It worked fine at the dealership - I even turned it on/off several times. it's just one of those things but if they're willing to send a tech over to my house to make it right; who am I to toss chitballs.    :coolblue:

Looking forward to better weather though so that I can at least see how it rides.......chit, talk about blind faith in a product.......

Soot

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

There have been recalls on them in the past, I remember mine was part of one a few years back.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »

The way to remove the switch is to insert key turn all the way to left and push the little button under the switch on the left side and the whole ignition pops out. Any chance you pushed that button inadvertantly?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »

I'll be sure to ask how something like that can get past quality control!!!!

Quote from: Soot

It worked fine at the dealership - I even turned it on/off several times.

so if it worked fine at the dealership, how do you figure that this is a quality control problem?  how are they supposed to catch something that hasn't happened yet?

regardless, i'm sure it's an easy fix and you'll be ready to ride after the snow melts...
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »

so if it worked fine at the dealership, how do you figure that this is a quality control problem?  how are they supposed to catch something that hasn't happened yet?

regardless, i'm sure it's an easy fix and you'll be ready to ride after the snow melts...

I should have been precise in how I described the problem. I did in fact turn the switch on and off several times without issue. But when I went to lock the forks (once getting it home) manually; that's when the entire switch unit came off. Perhaps they don't check that at the plant?????

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:37 PM »

The way to remove the switch is to insert key turn all the way to left and push the little button under the switch on the left side and the whole ignition pops out. Any chance you pushed that button inadvertantly?

I don't think that I did Digga but you never know. In any event I have been assured by the Dealer that this WILL be taken care of in short order.....just hope there's an error in tomm's forecast (3-5" snow). WTF - we are in April are we not???

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.