Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ETC connector terminal fretting-limp mode throttle  (Read 3046 times)

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
ETC connector terminal fretting-limp mode throttle
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »

This topic has not been discussed for one year, but I am experiencing the same problem, bike going into limp mode.  Not sure if I have the terminal corrosion yet, but I have been bitten by these symptoms twice now.  Going into dealer this week.  One co-worker said he had this problem and he paid over $500 to get it fixed, I still have extended warranty for my 09 SERG, so I am covered.  He said it is common and thought HD was going to issue recall, Dealer's Service writer said it is common but no recall in sight.  How many out there have this problem and do not know about this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: ETC connector terminal fretting-limp mode throttle
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »

This topic has not been discussed for one year, but I am experiencing the same problem, bike going into limp mode.  Not sure if I have the terminal corrosion yet, but I have been bitten by these symptoms twice now.  Going into dealer this week.  One co-worker said he had this problem and he paid over $500 to get it fixed, I still have extended warranty for my 09 SERG, so I am covered.  He said it is common and thought HD was going to issue recall, Dealer's Service writer said it is common but no recall in sight.  How many out there have this problem and do not know about this?

Welcome to the wonderful world of H-D, where defects that would result in instant safety recalls for other manufacturers are just swept under the rug and they are allowed to get away with it.  This is just one of many such defects that have received the "under the rug" treatment over the years.

If you don't find their cavalier attitude about your safety to be amusing, go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. Only when enough Harley riders finally start doing this will someone finally investigate.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

The attachment may be of interest to you...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of H-D, where defects that would result in instant safety recalls for other manufacturers are just swept under the rug and they are allowed to get away with it.  This is just one of many such defects that have received the "under the rug" treatment over the years.

If you don't find their cavalier attitude about your safety to be amusing, go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint. Only when enough Harley riders finally start doing this will someone finally investigate.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry

Jerry,

I appreciate you putting the link in here.  I didn't know about this.  Used the link to register a complaint regarding the instability of the 2012 SEUC's due to the Chisel wheels.  Thanks.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

1 Orange Eagle

• 09 SERG
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »

I had this problem on my 09 in the middle of Texas (thank God for the Big Springs dealership).
The bike went into limp mode at highway speed and that was all she wrote.
Warranty covered it, but I was surprised to hear that this a very common problem and I can expect it to happen again since HD is not being proactive.  Would love to file a NHSTA complaint, but that won't work.  Will see if I can file through the CDN govn't. websites.  If I find anything for the riders up here I'll post the link.

RetSUBLDO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '19 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: '13 FLHRSE - sold
    • CVO3: '10 FLHTCUSE - sold
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »

You might want to look for some wire damage on your harness.  It caused a similar problem on my 2013 FLHRSE5.  Check out http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=80482.0

Eric

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.