Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: My Ride Like a Pro experience  (Read 2711 times)

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
Re: My Ride Like a Pro experience
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »

This is some great info. I just rode up through Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake with great guidance from Wrongway and
Illcoot. Some really great riding and tight turns. After reading Some of these posts was great help for that tight stuff. Just pulling yourself more forward not quite "nuttin" the tank, gives you a feeling of so much more control. I have been riding for 30+ years and it's great to be learning better control and riding skills. Hope to take the course some day soon. Is there videos that can be purchased on line? Thanks again!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »

Just pulling yourself more forward not quite "nuttin" the tank, gives you a feeling of so much more control.

What that does is make you sit upright. Posture is key for control. Look at any motorcop, and you will see them sitting upright in the saddle. They know that posture sets the foundation for good control. Anytime I struggle, it comes down to either posture, or head and eyes. Either I'm not sitting properly, or I have not committed my head any eyes. It's the little things like that, that make a big difference.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

JonMac

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »

I think it's perfectly normal to worry about dropping a $30,000+ motorcycle

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »

I think it's perfectly normal to worry about dropping a $30,000+ motorcycle
It sure is. That's one reason to "rent" a bike at an RLAP or other class if one is available.  When I helped Mark teach a class last year only one person out of 13 or so HOG members rented a bike. In my group he out performed the others not because he was the most talented, but because he had little fear of dropping the bike and was therefore much more relaxed than the others. He also seemed to have more fun and progressed rapidly. That
s not to say one shouldn't take the class on your own bike, it's just one less thing to think about.

TechMerc

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 06:08:36 AM »

You can buy "Ride like a Pro" DVD on Amazon, you can also find it on E-Bay. I can't remember where I found my copy. Personally I have a problem with coming to a stop while making a right turn (getting gas, parking,etc.), have dropped my Limited twice, embarrassing to say the least. I need to take the course, but want to practice more with the CVO first. I do like the idea of the heater hose to protect the bars, will definitely do that. I will say that once the bike his that point of no return on a drop, move out of the way, don't try to stop the fall (I tried to stop it and your one leg s no match for 900 pounds going over, you do more damage to your body). That said the slow speed skills are essential, something I am constantly working on (been riding for 50 years and am an ex MSF instructor).

Good Luck.

By the way great description of class.
First CVO - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Tribal Orange
1990 FXSTS, gotta keep my baby
USAF Vet
Living the dream in Sunny Florida..
Moved here from SOCAL, looking for riding buddies.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 12:13:31 PM »

You can buy "Ride like a Pro" DVD on Amazon, you can also find it on E-Bay. I can't remember where I found my copy. Personally I have a problem with coming to a stop while making a right turn (getting gas, parking,etc.), have dropped my Limited twice, embarrassing to say the least. I need to take the course, but want to practice more with the CVO first. I do like the idea of the heater hose to protect the bars, will definitely do that. I will say that once the bike his that point of no return on a drop, move out of the way, don't try to stop the fall (I tried to stop it and your one leg s no match for 900 pounds going over, you do more damage to your body). That said the slow speed skills are essential, something I am constantly working on (been riding for 50 years and am an ex MSF instructor).

Good Luck.

By the way great description of class.
That is one of the first things that Mark teaches at his RLAP class. You get to drop one of his Kawasaki's to learn how not to pin yourself, and then pick it up yourself using the propper lifting method. Advancing on through the day you will learn to make u turn from a complete stop, right and left, from a full handlebar lock and lean. I took his initial class about 5 years ago having 35+ years experience. Well worth the money. The videos are a great practice reference, but with hands on instruction your understanding will be much more comprehensive.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 25 queries.