Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removal of Stock Push Rods  (Read 4828 times)

Magnumeng

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Classic Ann
Removal of Stock Push Rods
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »

Is it possible to remove stock push rods on a TC88 with out opening up the rocker box?  I am pushing 30000 miles and want to check my lifters.  Since I am starting to hear some tapping.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Removal of Stock Push Rods
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »

Is it possible to remove stock push rods on a TC88 with out opening up the rocker box?  I am pushing 30000 miles and want to check my lifters.  Since I am starting to hear some tapping.

There are only two ways I know of to remove them; one is to remove them from the top end and the other is to cut the rods with a pair of bolt cutters.  Of course the second method means you will need to buy a set of EZ install adjustable pushrods to replace the ones you just cut in half.  Price a good set of adjustables, read up on the pro's and con's of adjustables, and then decide if that's the way you want to go instead of removing the fuel tank and the rocker box covers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Magnumeng

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Classic Ann
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »

thank you.  I was hoping to hear there was a magical trick.  Guess it is time to look to possiably upgrading.  Time to start googling and call shops for information.

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

Jp cycles has a very helpful step by step video on YouTube about cutting the old pushrods out with bolt cutters and installing a new set of S&S adjustables.  All being done without pulling the tank or rocker covers.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »

remember,you`ll also need new covers with adjustables.get some SE units,best price & they come with p/rods,covers & seals for 160.00

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:47 AM »

Just pull them out the top.  It's not hard at all.  Tank is an easy pull, and there is plenty of room to work the rocker box bolts. And you get the added benefit of being able to check the end play on the rocker arms. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »

If you don't need adjustable pushrods due to a cam choice, don't install them.  If you are staying with stock cams and stock lifters, stay with your solid stock pushrods.  As Thermodyne said, it's easy enough to remove your stock pushrods, and gives you the opportunity to inspect your top end.  Not only can you check rocker arm end play, but you can also check for wear on the diameter of your rocker shafts and rocker arm bushings.

Installing adjustable pushrods without need gives the opportunity for interference (noise) between the adjustable pushrod and pushrod tube that so many write about, and it gives you the opportunity to set their length incorrectly.  Just one more potential source of a problem for no good reason...  

Pulling your stock pushrods out the top is relatively simple if you're at all mechanically inclined.  Pull the tank, pull the rocker box covers and it's all right there.  Clean/replace your breathers while you're in there.  Use a torque wrench when putting it back together, per your service manual....   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:34:47 AM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »

If you don't need adjustable pushrods due to a cam choice, don't install them.  If you are staying with stock cams and stock lifters, stay with your solid stock pushrods.  As Thermodyne said, it's easy enough to remove your stock pushrods, and gives you the opportunity to inspect your top end.  Not only can you check rocker arm end play, but you can also check for wear on the diameter of your rocker shafts and rocker arm bushings.

Installing adjustable pushrods without need gives the opportunity for interference (noise) between the adjustable pushrod and pushrod tube that so many write about, and it gives you the opportunity to set their length incorrectly.  Just one more potential source of a problem for no good reason...  

Pulling your stock pushrods out the top is relatively simple if you're at all mechanically inclined.  Pull the tank, pull the rocker box covers and it's all right there.  Clean/replace your breathers while you're in there.  Use a torque wrench when putting it back together, per your service manual....   :nixweiss:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.