Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 6th Gear Indicator Light  (Read 3725 times)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
6th Gear Indicator Light
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »

I have noticed that my 6th gear indicator lamp will flash on and off on my '13 SEUC when downshifting through several gears like when coming to a stop or just a rapid slow down, even if I was not shifting down from 6th gear. Anyone else notice this? I don't know how the circuit is wired or how it gets the signal that it is in 6th gear but it seems odd that it would flash through a down shift.

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
Re: 6th Gear Indicator Light
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »

I have the same issue with both my 6 speed bikes (09 Softail and 11 SEUC).  I notice it VERY quickly when downshifting as it flashes briefly.  I asked my Indy about it a couple years ago and he said it's fairly common and nothing to worry about.  So I don't.  I also noticed it on a couple rental bikes (Street Glide and Road King).  SJ Ron
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

Mhy 07 does the samething, has for several years, nothing to worry about, seems to do it when it gets hot,  :nixweiss:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »

I assume this is caused by the way Harley chose to trigger the light.  Rather than use a switch triggered by the shift drum position, they trigger the light based on a calculation made by the ECM comparing road speed and rpm.  Much cheaper that way, but it does lead to the possibility of the strange behavior you have noted. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »

I assume this is caused by the way Harley chose to trigger the light.  Rather than use a switch triggered by the shift drum position, they trigger the light based on a calculation made by the ECM comparing road speed and rpm.  Much cheaper that way, but it does lead to the possibility of the strange behavior you have noted. 

Jerry

My mind is more mechanical so I thought there would be a prox switch or something similar. Would have never guessed it was a function of the ECM. It makes sense how the calculations could be thrown off using that method. I was worried there was something loose in the tranny.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »

That must be why it takes until you let the clutch out for the indicator to light.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.