Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keyless start question  (Read 1537 times)

Mrs C

• Junior CVO Member
  • Maxine
Keyless start question
« on: June 24, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »

Am on the road and friend carrying my spare key.  Question is:

If she leaves them on her bike, , can someone start my bike.  She says that it will start but will not go far without the fob.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish...but you can only spend it once!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Keyless start question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »

They can ride until they shut it off and try to start it without
the fob in the vicinity
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »

Am on the road and friend carrying my spare key.  Question is:

If she leaves them on her bike, , can someone start my bike.  She says that it will start but will not go far without the fob.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG!  Once the bike is started, you don't need the fob to keep it running.  You could throw it in the bed of a speeding pickup truck driving the opposite way, and your bike would keep right on running until you turned it off.

If you really must carry the spare fob with you, take the battery out and flip it over (or use a thin plastic strip to prevent the battery from making contact) so the fob won't transmit.  If you actually need it, it's simple to remove the plastic or flip the battery over, returning the fob to active duty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mrs C

• Junior CVO Member
  • Maxine
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »

Perfect solution Jerry!  Thank you.

It has become a bit of a nusiance for her to carry two sets everywhere.  Your way, we can lock them in the saddlebag.
Life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish...but you can only spend it once!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »

ABSOLUTELY WRONG!  Once the bike is started, you don't need the fob to keep it running.  You could throw it in the bed of a speeding pickup truck driving the opposite way, and your bike would keep right on running until you turned it off.

If you really must carry the spare fob with you, take the battery out and flip it over (or use a thin plastic strip to prevent the battery from making contact) so the fob won't transmit.  If you actually need it, it's simple to remove the plastic or flip the battery over, returning the fob to active duty.

Jerry
Good advice  :2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.