Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: This Clutch is a Bear!  (Read 7440 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
Re: This Clutch is a Bear!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »

This is what I use:

http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=3

Able to ride friction zone fairly easily even with an arthritic left thumb.
Been using one for years even holding Ride Like A Pro classes with no problem.

Mark

Mark is the VPC clutch on your CVO a hydraulic one?  and have you had it very long?
I am thinking of this option.  I like touring and want to know if it will work well there I also like stepping it thru the gears but I am not a Drag racer.  At some point I would like to add cams to my FullSac build.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »

I have the same set up as Mark but since my clutch plates were in need of replacement I installed what quite a few others on this site are using.  The set up is used on a number of the SE 120 motors.  Last fall I tried a R&R 131" with a King Kong clutch, talk about training for armwrestling.  After the ride I took my bike out and honestly thought I lost my clutch.  It was beyond night & day.  If they hold up on some monster motors and are still very easy to pull you really can't ask for more.  I used the Energy One clutch and the Aim/Tamachi.  Both are great people to deal with.  I guess it depends on wether it's time for a clutch replacement for the Energy One kit for you as it isn't cheap,  but personally I wouldn't go without it.  Mark teaches the course and probably knows as much as anyone on the friction zone and anything else connected with clutch control, quite a few woman do the course as well. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »

Mark is the VPC clutch on your CVO a hydraulic one?  and have you had it very long?
I am thinking of this option.  I like touring and want to know if it will work well there I also like stepping it thru the gears but I am not a Drag racer.  At some point I would like to add cams to my FullSac build.

RedEagle,

Yes the clutch on my '06 CVO Ultra is hydraulic, and so was the clutch on my previous bike. In fact I took it off my previous bike to install on my current bike. All in all I'd say I had it about 8 years and 60K miles between the two bikes. Never had a problem with it working the friction zone. The release point was always the same spot for me.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »

The only other performance mod on my radar is a set of cams.  I would go with Steve's input at Fullsac, I love what his stage I did for me.  I love touring just wish I had more time to do it.
If i am going to go with a VPC I am thinking of replacing the clutch plates and bleeding the clutch.  My Question now is should I go with the stock set of plates or a after market set?
i see that there are different materials of clutch plates, but I don't know what they do.
I want something easy to squeeze super smooth, and long lasting not a drag racing setup.
I would like to know if I should consider doing it myself or have it set up. 
I would like a idea of how much these setups recommend should cost.
Thanks for all your input.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:37:43 AM »

Update:
I ordered the Aim VPC, and a new set of Energy One Kevlar clutch plates!!
I talked to Kae and he helped me select the setup, VP92T with a 280 lb. spring.  This will accommodate any engine mods I will make.
I was going to go with the VP84T and stock spring, but that was a three week wait.  He assured me this would be a great setup for SE 110 engine.

Is this a easy to do mod?  My wife wants me to have it done, with all the overtime the company is hitting me with.  I kinda want to do it myself because I think it looks rather easy, but I when I do get home I am dragging.

How do I bleed the clutch?  I don't see a bleeder fitting near the Primary is it inside?

tjablons

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Maple
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »

New 2013 CVO's have a "slipper" clutch from the factory that is supposed to be lighter pull on the clutch lever.  Anybody have any experience with this, and if it is lighter, is it available from HD parts to retrofit a 2012?

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »

How do I bleed the clutch?  I don't see a bleeder fitting near the Primary is it inside?
THe bleeder is on the right side by the tranny.

sprinkman

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »

Has anyone ever tried the EFM auto clutch sounds goodif you have limited strength in your hands. http://www.efmautoclutch.com

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

Re: This Clutch is a Bear!...Update
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »

I had the AIM tamachi VP clutch installed with new Energy One Kevlar plates and 280 Lb spring.  Wow big difference and does this baby hookup with a power shift!!
The friction zone is much more feelable than what I had.
My old clutch plates were blued with heat.  I felt there was a problem when starting the bike cold  with the clutch in the whole bike would lurch forward.  This was telling me that the plates were sticking together and I was having problems holding the friction zone.
Now my clutch is soft and easy to pull I don't have to worry about it slipping with the Torque of the 110 because of the lock up of the VP clutch design.
I am very happy it works Great only thing I would change is having the clutch engage closer to the handgrip, but with the hydraulic clutch this is not adjustable.  I can deal with it.  I set up the cones and started practicing my RLP weave, circle and U turns.  I did better.  No excuses now on my equipment.
Thank you to all of you that gave me input even if I went a different direction, I did concider all options and I thank you.

prs4guitars

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »

Has anyone tried the EFM auto clutch? I'm interested, but would like to know what actual experience has been.
Walt

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »

I had the AIM clutch on for a season and it is great especially if you have had a lot of power added.  But it trades one problem (idle clutch effort) for another problem (wide open throttle clutch nightmare).  Its just not worth it for most applications, and now that I installed the clutch wiz, love it, love it, I can't go back.  Constant pull, handled my power adders and is about the same or less effort than a stock non-hydraulic clutch.  Worth the 135 and free shipping all day.  I will order two more for my other bikes no problem.  We'll see how the CW lasts for right now it looks great.  Anyone want a used AIM?     :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple:
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »

I had the AIM clutch on for a season and it is great especially if you have had a lot of power added.  But it trades one problem (idle clutch effort) for another problem (wide open throttle clutch nightmare).  Its just not worth it for most applications, and now that I installed the clutch wiz, love it, love it, I can't go back.  Constant pull, handled my power adders and is about the same or less effort than a stock non-hydraulic clutch.  Worth the 135 and free shipping all day.  I will order two more for my other bikes no problem.  We'll see how the CW lasts for right now it looks great.  Anyone want a used AIM?     :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple:

Ahh feel yer pain! I have two used VPC 70Ts here, removed from bikes that now have the less expensive and better ClutchWIZ in them.

The ClutchWIZ, the AIM 480 lb spring, and an extra plate clutch pak kit is the best solution I found for easy pull and handling more power on my bike - without the annoying rattle of the VPC.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »

The one thing I wounder is will this effect the durability of the spring.  As you move the pivit point out will it fatigue the spring in a different manner?  Time will tell.
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.