Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: decelleration popping and noise from engine.  (Read 9606 times)

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: decelleration popping and noise from engine.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »

Life is good....Enjoy!

It is good to hear that it all worked out for you. 

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

Pork,

I have had the same issues with popping/backfire/decelleration and had it fixed with a Dyno tune.  See this posting.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=71964.0
Oooh, Jas, reading your post makes me want to make a special run from Washington state down to Texas to see Ed.  Now that the bike is running better, I believe it could make a difference.  However, previously, as they found brass in the bottom of the engine, not sure what he could or would have been able to do.  Now, I seriously need to reread these posts about which pipes to buy and which tuner, etc.  Can see some of that happening now but not sure of what is in my area in the way of a tuner (person). 

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »

Just wanted to post an update as to how the engine is running after total replacement.  It is running just fantastic.  Not used to this much power or this smooth.  Have almost 400 miles on it now and wanted to get it broke in before the ride to Spokane this Friday so that my wife doesn't have to put up with the speeding up, slowing down game for 130 miles.  But it is sure smooooooth.  Will be anxious to see what the mileage will improve to once I am able to keep a steady speed with a lower rpm.  Plenty of power and haven't experienced any vibration yet.  Maybe they got it right this time.  $8K later.......   Pork.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

Great News  :2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »

Pork...  happy to hear all is well now.

JB

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:36 AM »

well, I plan to ride to work tomorrow and by the time I get home, I should be off the breakin.  then just hope I don't get a ticket......ha!  Pork.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »

pork sounds like the gremlins are behind ya ...grats  glad it work'd out for ya  :2vrolijk_21:
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 04:55:57 PM »

That's Tony the Tiger GREEEEEEEEEAAAAT news Pork!! :pepper: :pepper:

Does it run better than your 2010 or 2011?

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

well, if you know me well, you know I'm a continual victim of '1st impressions'.  Meaning it's common for me to think upfront that the ill is cured, only to be lured into false thinking soon after I declare, "it's a miracle; I'm cured!"  however, in this case I have put 500 miles on the new 'ticker' now and it runs just like a NASCAR car would (I've never actually seen or heard one live) run.  Runs circles around the '10 and '11 engines I had.  My theory??  Harley doesn't have to abide by DOT's (or whoever sets the rules) strict requirements for releasing a brand new bike out into the public.  they are replacing a complete engine.  Possibly there is a loophole or clause that allows them to replace the failed engine with a new one and at that point they are allowed to time it and tune it like it should have come from the "gettin' place" in the first place.  Instead of telling us, "sorry, dude, we can only time or tune it like it came from the factory:..  sorry, but they all run lean, or rich, or whatever.....gosh, look at the time. I'm gettin off shift, but somebody else can give you another 'line of bull' in the morning." 
So, I'm going to enjoy  riding it up to Spokane this evening with my best girl on the back and find that sweet spot where it really does roar now like Tony the Tiger! It's GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttt!!   ha!   Pork.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »

well, if you know me well, you know I'm a continual victim of '1st impressions'.  Meaning it's common for me to think upfront that the ill is cured, only to be lured into false thinking soon after I declare, "it's a miracle; I'm cured!"  however, in this case I have put 500 miles on the new 'ticker' now and it runs just like a NASCAR car would (I've never actually seen or heard one live) run.  Runs circles around the '10 and '11 engines I had.  My theory??  Harley doesn't have to abide by DOT's (or whoever sets the rules) strict requirements for releasing a brand new bike out into the public.  they are replacing a complete engine.  Possibly there is a loophole or clause that allows them to replace the failed engine with a new one and at that point they are allowed to time it and tune it like it should have come from the "gettin' place" in the first place.  Instead of telling us, "sorry, dude, we can only time or tune it like it came from the factory:..  sorry, but they all run lean, or rich, or whatever.....gosh, look at the time. I'm gettin off shift, but somebody else can give you another 'line of bull' in the morning." 
So, I'm going to enjoy  riding it up to Spokane this evening with my best girl on the back and find that sweet spot where it really does roar now like Tony the Tiger! It's GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaattttttt!!   ha!   Pork.
Glad to hear everything is great on the west coast Porky. Enjoy your trip to Spokane.  Keep us posted as your new engine gets some miles on it.  Is it all stock including mufflers?  Enjoy

John
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »

Yes, it is so far John. If this holds true, I can's see a reason to get other mufflers, etc. but, we'll see.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »

Pork,

I've been having the same problem with my bike. It's the 2012 Convertible and the deceleration popping is terrible. We changed the pipes from the big radius (which is what was on the bike when I bought it) and have the Vance Hines with the TTS tuner. And still having terrible time with the deceleration popping. Doesn't get better when the engine is warm either. I'll have to go back to where you said you had it diagnosed in Texas, because I live here, but it's a big state. LOL! We are heading out to Sturgis Friday, so won't be able to have it looked at before we leave, but definitely worth considering everything you've posted and tried to do.

Now if I can just figure out how to get some Bose speakers mounted on the bike. LOL!

Ride safe everyone!

:huepfenjump3:
Sherry
"Tex"

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »

Sherry you have a great tuner all you need to do is find a tts tuner in your area and they will take care of your deceleration popping ....here is a link from tts website  there are many in the texas area including  GMR  which is also a site  vendor  ..hope this helps ...Lever
http://www.mastertune.net/dealers.htm
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.