Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Sparkplugs?  (Read 3275 times)

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
2014 Sparkplugs?
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »

Anyone know if the H2o bikes runs different sparkplugs, than the air cooled?
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2014 Sparkplugs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »

Anyone know if the H2o bikes runs different sparkplugs, than the air cooled?

6R12, no change.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »

Thanks Jerry.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »

There was some talk on one of the threads about using a NGK plug that is one step colder than the standard plug, is there any more info on that suggestion?
I think it may have been a suggestion for the 2013 CVO's.
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:30 PM »

There was some talk on one of the threads about using a NGK plug that is one step colder than the standard plug, is there any more info on that suggestion?
I think it may have been a suggestion for the 2013 CVO's.

What kind of info do you need?  Running a "colder" heat range plug doesn't mean the engine will run cooler, if that's what you're thinking about.  The standard heat range is perfectly fine for at least 99.9% of all street riders.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

Sorry Jerry, I think the thread was referring to the colder plug having to do with starting better and better fuel burn with some of the goofy fuel mixes these days.

Lars

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

Sorry Jerry, I think the thread was referring to the colder plug having to do with starting better and better fuel burn with some of the goofy fuel mixes these days.

Running a "colder" heat range plug, with everything else equal, is unlikely to improve starting or fuel burn characteristics.  The heat range of a plug refers to the ability to maintain the temperature of the actual firing tip in the optimum range to prevent both cold fouling and hot preignition / accelerated erosion.  A "colder" plug design transfers the heat from the tip to the shell and then the head faster than a "hotter" design.  That's all the heat range is about and has nothing to do with actual combustion temperatures or engine temperatures. 

The NGK Iridium plugs that were most likely the subject of the threads you read have a very fine wire center electrode made of a material that resists erosion better than the standard material, similar to the way platinum electrodes are also used to extend the life of plugs.  If you keep the edges of the electrodes sharp and the air gap consistent (less erosion), the amount of energy required from the ignition system to fire the plugs remains lower over time and the spark is more consistent.  As the edges become more rounded and the gap grows the system is required to produce more voltage to produce a reliable spark.  So installing a new set of these plugs should make for a more consistent spark that can in fact improve starting as well as normal running with todays lean mixtures and reformulated fuels.  But the same can usually be said of a brand new set of standard plugs too.  The real difference is how long the platinum or iridium electrodes can go before performance starts to suffer compared to standard plugs. 

If you are the type who changes plugs every 5000 miles, the longer life platinum or iridium plugs are a waste of money.  And all those testimonials from people who change from standard plugs to one of the platinum or iridium plugs tend to be suspect at best.  I would expect improvement when replacing an old worn plug no matter what I screwed into the hole.  It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the platinum or iridium electrodes, it's just comparing old worn stuff to brand new stuff.

Jerry

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Thanks Jerry for the, as usual, in-depth understandable no non-since explanation that makes perfect since to us ordinary Harley riders.
Regular maintenance is the key.

Thanks Again.

Lars

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.