Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: solo rack-- now with pictures.  (Read 4424 times)

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
solo rack-- now with pictures.
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »

I have been looking for a rack 4 bike to mount so that I could use a luggage/backrest for solo riding.  Have not found anything that really suited my needs.

Found a local fabricator who has a laser cutter, made a pattern and they are bidding the job.  The pattern is similar to the "HD solo tour-pak rack #53559-04A" on page 252 of catalog.  It will be constructed of stainless steel and will be detachable.  Of course it will fit the wider tire bikes.  Also will be attaching bars to make it longer for more area to mount double bags if needed.

My question is would anyone else be interested in this type of set up?   The price would be less if more are made as the set up on the laser is the largest expense.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:17:25 PM by ozarke »

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
Re: solo rack?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »

Did not have enough interest to contract the rack because of cost per unit.

Have started plan B.  Converting "HD solo tour-pak rack #53559-04A" to fit the wider tire.   I have a great idea, IMHO, and should be relatively easy to build.   

Will take pictures along the process and post them here in this thread.  I should have it finished by the first of March.

Trent

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »

:orange: I would also be very interested in a rear rack!

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »

Here is my modification to "HD solo tour-pak rack #53559-04A" to fit the CVO with wider tire.

I first cut the rack in half.  Then drilled holes near the cut with 3/8 bit (same as the mounting holes already there)  Smoothed the rough edges.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »

Mounted the halves on the bike and made a template which allowed the old rack to mount correctly.   I ended up with a measurement of 10 1/2 inches wide and 11" long to accommodate holes for straps or bungees.  Procured 11 Gauge Stainless Steel (about 1/8 inch, same as the rack material) cut to the dimensions.  Determined hole location by remounting, then drilled all holes. (must have a carbide bit for SS, which I found out after ruining 2 bits.  :o)  Cut and filed the strap holes.

This is the resulting plate.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:57:48 PM »

I used pan head bolts with lock nuts to assemble the unit.  When mounted the plate is just short of flush with the fender protection.  It would not have fit if it was not on top of the rack,  this was lucky as I didn't know until finished.  ::)

Here is what it looks like on bike.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »

The stainless steel is shiny as it had a protective coating, but is not chrome.  I am told that I can buff it to make it closer.  At this time I don't think I am going to take the time as it is covered with the bags on it.  What does show is chrome of the original rack.  It can always be done later. 

Here is a picture of the rack with a "bikers friend" bag and a sissy bar bag installed.  I have a pad which comes with the bag and Velcros on for a back rest.  Works well for my old back.   I have several types of bags which can be easily mounted with bungees or zip ties.

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »

While at it, I also got another plate 18" long.   Made it the same way but slid it up another 2" forward.   This will allow me to put 2 or more bags on the rack and easily use the front one for a back rest.  It only take about 5 minutes to change the plates.  Figured that I might as well stick with the convertible theme.   :orange:

Here is a picture of the larger plate.

Comments are welcome.................

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: solo rack-- now with pictures.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »

Looks like it will do the job for ya! Maybe mount a color matched TP it?

JW

TXBear

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »

Ozarke, I have located a rack but would you be willing to make and sell the adapter plate and if so what kind of cost are we talking about?

Trent

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »

:orange:Now that is a brilliant idea and very well done.I would pay for a rack like that... any idea of cost?

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »

TXBear and Trent:

I made the plate and cut the rack myself out of Stainless Steel.   I can't remember the cost of the steel, but think that it was less than $75 for both plates.

The process was really rather easy except for the fact that I had never worked with Stainless.   I found that it is REALLY HARD.  The holes have to have carbide bits and the small about of cutting was a challenge, so the time factor was large.   If I had the correct tools it would have taken me no time at all. 

Someone that fabricates SS would be able to do it quickly.   It was fun for me to do, but I would pay a professional if my time were worth anything.  :P

If you wish,  I would be willing to send measurements to help you via email.

This thread more than 2 years old.  Since then I have refined the system with a couple of different bags that look great and really work well.  My favorite is a Saddleman Trunk, the buckles and lines look very similar to my bags

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »

Great work and well thought out.  Heck you can install a tour pack on that set up. $$$$

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »

Yes a tour pack would bolt right up.  I looked at doing that, but some other bags looked better and I have bought several types for the price of the T P and no painting.

I really works to fit just about anything on it that you can bolt, bungee or zip tie.   I have even stacked a trunk on top of a pelican case and still had back rest fitted.  This set up has lots more room than TP.

When I get to the hotel room just pop off the entire unit and take it in.   A little tricky to put back on as the fender is right there.   

The best thing I have found to mount stuff is with zip ties.   Cheap and effective.  Cut them off and zip em back on.  Just keep zipping until I am comfortable that there is no way to come off.  Carry a bunch in my bags at all times.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »

Nice Job  :2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 25 queries.